Untraining ones ears

corElement

The more I seem to learn about av stuff and let my ears hear the difference...from one item to the next, compare with a previous and understand the differences, the more I seem get flustered about it all. Every sound I hear seems to hit my mind as a vague number or this roll off and that clipping or SOMETHING or the other. It's rather annoying because before I understood any of this everything sounded the same and enjoyable! rofl :lol:

So yeah, anyone here ever wish you could "untrain" your ears+brain and berid of all this and be in ignorant heavenly bliss :D

The more I seem to learn about av stuff and let my ears hear the difference...from one item to the next, compare with a previous and understand the differences, the more I seem get flustered about it all. Every sound I hear seems to hit my mind as a vague number or this roll off and that clipping or SOMETHING or the other. It's rather annoying because before I understood any of this everything sounded the same and enjoyable! rofl :lol:

So yeah, anyone here ever wish you could "untrain" your ears+brain and berid of all this and be in ignorant heavenly bliss :D

Are you sure its not your audio gear's real limitations else you will get used to a less than satisfactory sound :D

Certain audio gear can mask some details but reach out immediately and touch the heart with the music. Then there is no struggle as one just gets swept off ones feet with the flow of the music. When hunting for gear, look for items with a reputation for being musical all along the chain. My CDP has a rep for being musical so does my poweramp and so the end result is .... :licklips:

Cheers

Last edited:
Are you sure its not your audio gear's real limitations else you will get used to a less than satisfactory sound :D

Certain audio gear can mask some details but reach out immediately and touch the heart with the music. Then there is no struggle as one just gets swept off ones feet with the flow of the music. When hunting for gear, always look for items with a reputation for being musical all along the chain. My CDP has a rep for being musical so does my poweramp and so the end result is .... :licklips:

Cheers

Nah I wasnt refering to the av hardware. Just the general mindframe of whatever one hears from anywhere, say even a passing street band :D.
Then trying to imagine how many processes would exist to record such
a thing ( not going into any literal specifics ) and then hearing such a thing
on various av hardware and sooooo many things to keep in mind.
Imagine having your own private band instead of av hardware and then
ingaime the dynamics increase a thousand fold.

No.

I play a guitar. It helps me reconnect with what real music sounds like.

The cheapest guitar I own sounds miles ahead of anything I own in terms of audio equipment.

YMMV.

Yes I can completely understand what you mean. I kind of find some irony in the matter.

These exercises will surly put you off to critical listening habits
1) Have long discussions (1 to 2 days at a stretch) with audiophiles about effects of Digital vs. analog, snake oil, Power cords etc.
2) Buy old valve radio and make written notes of finer points of their sound quality.
3) Try to listen to ultrasound/infrasound.
4) Try to work out ear muscles and ear lobes so you can direct particular frequency sound in ear canal.
Just kidding. Hope you dont mind. Sometimes laughing at self helps to decide where to stop.
YouTube - Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
Enjoy this ^
Regards :)
Note : No musical instruments were harmed in making of this song :D

Last edited:
I agree with Cranky. If you can play an instrument well and good. Otherwise go and attend some live shows as often as possible. yesterday, thanks to TellRanga, I attended some superb Jazz by the Wolfgang Haffner Trio. Composed of Swedish bassist Lars Danielsson, Cologne based pianist Hubert Nuss and Haffner, the Trio played some superb Jazz numbers for us.

Cheers

These exercises will surly put you off to critical listening habits
1) Have long discussions (1 to 2 days at a stretch) with audiophiles about effects of Digital vs. analog, snake oil, Power cords etc.
2) Buy old valve radio and make written notes of finer points of their sound quality.
3) Try to listen to ultrasound/infrasound.
4) Try to work out ear muscles and ear lobes so you can direct particular frequency sound in ear canal.
Just kidding. Hope you dont mind. Sometimes laughing at self helps to decide where to stop.
YouTube - Bobby McFerrin - Don't Worry Be Happy
Enjoy this ^
Regards :)
Note : No musical instruments were harmed in making of this song :D

LOL!
For a second there I thought you were serious XD

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back