UPS or Inverter or Both

HTuser

Hi,

I searched the forum but couldn't find satisfactory answer for my query.

I have booked a flat under construction and would like to plan the positioning of UPS/Inverter. (Planning to have a provision for inveter/UPS in utility area, if the solution is to have both, I need to plan space and connectivity for both)

I would like to have Uninterrupted Power to my entire HT (TV, STB, BD, AVR, Projector [epson 5010] etc) and also for the Computer at Home. I am planning to buy Online "Pure Sine Wave" UPS for this requirement.

I also want few tube lights, fans, kettle, mixie etc also to work when power fails. Should I add provision for a "Pure Sine Wave" inverter as well?

If I add more power to the UPS, can it handle other products as well? I know that cost will be high If I have to support these many devices. But if I opt for both, I will have to allocate space, provide connections for both, which may make the electrical wiring complex.

There is no generator power for flats, hence I need more backup time for lights and fans. I will use only necessary equipments to get more backup time.

If I run all on UPS, will FAN, Mixie, kettle etc create any disturbances on the supply to HT setup?

Anybody running entire HT+lights+fans etc on UPS

If experienced forum members can mention the cost factor of the options, I will be able to decide easily.

Can I consider products like APC Smart UPS 3000VA

please advice.

Last edited:
While I can't comment on the technical suitability of using UPS for generic household lighting requirements, what I can surely say is that it will be an overkill (read expensive) solution for the non-HT requirements. My recommendation would be to have a spike guard at the house mains itself and a stab/UPS for the HT system as you desire.
You can explore the technical viability of placing the spike guard at the mains itself but I have read stuff around this placement in the forum. It protects the entire house from any potential spikes and allows you to connect the HT directly to the power socket (which is recommended to be a good option in terms of power quality).
You can have a UPS for non-HT stuff which is a cheaper option.

Online UPS is recommended for HT products. Using an inverter for inductance load like mixer grinder can be a problem as they draw large current initially which the inverter can't supply. You can run fan, light etc. with inverter. The difference between online ups and inverter is that the ups will always give you clean power from the battery where as the inverter will work only when there is no mains. Some inverters have ups mode which gives a faster transition speed in the event of power outage. Also note that online upss are not energy efficient as they will constantly draw power to charge the batteries while operating. The batteries will die quickly. So my suggestion is that you keep Online UPS for HT and an inverter for other house hold items.

Thanks for the replies

I will provision for both - UPS for HT and Inverter for lights, Fans etc

Thanks for the reply

Even thought slightly off the topic, I have a related query.

The default power option to the flat is 3KW single phase power

There is a provision to select 4KW single phase or 5 KW Single Phase or 5KW Three Phase.

I don't think there is a need for 3 Phase connection to a flat when there is no 3 phase equipment. One benefit of 3 Phase connection is we can change connected equipments to another phase if one phase fails (if changeover switch is installed)

So based on the load I am planning to chose 4KW Single phase or 5KW single phase

Any suggestions

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back