UPS or Stabilizer or Invertor

jmascreen

All,

Please suggest, which one should I go for the items included in my signature.
UPS or Stabilizer or Invertor.

Also suggest me the capacity which I should Buy

I would highly recommend the following APC UPS which includes not only a UPS function but double conversion of the input AC sine wave. It also offers frequency locking. It has been easily the equivalent of a full component upgrade in my setup.

Buy APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA 230V - Technical Specifications and Information | APC

The model has been discontinued but you can ask APC to give you the equivalent.

Do you have frequent power cuts in your area ? How is the power supply condition (brown-outs, high voltage etc) ?

These days the power cut has increased also I see voltage fluctuations too. For TV I have already connected to v-guard stabiliser.

Thanks nikhil. How much did you paid for it?

Brand new these models range around Rs 35,000 incl battery pack.
You get about 30 mins backup with the batteries.

Try getting a refurbished unit from a dealer. This is a very decent option if you can manage it.

All,

Please suggest, which one should I go for the items included in my signature.
UPS or Stabilizer or Invertor.

Also suggest me the capacity which I should Buy

Though I am not en expert, I want to share my thoughts here. This may not be agreed by all, but still I am convinced by this.
1. I am not a big fan of running the AV systems with UPS. In case the power goes and the UPS kicks, I prefer to switch off my AV systems. I believe the modern UPS (online or standalone) can supply sine wave, but still I am not convinced how pure it is.
2. I prefer to have some protection for the AV systems by having a good rated servo stablizer/isolation transformer with built-in surge protector. More than that, I will not have any other things.
3. In case if one has a projector, then have UPS only for that.

My above thoughts might look very conservative, but that's what I am very much convinced. I do agree there are other drawbacks like what if the main power supply goes off .... If that is a big concern, then one can go for UPS. Otherwise, I would look only for system protection and nothing more than that.

I would highly recommend the following APC UPS which includes not only a UPS function but double conversion of the input AC sine wave. It also offers frequency locking. It has been easily the equivalent of a full component upgrade in my setup.

Buy APC Smart-UPS RT 2000VA 230V - Technical Specifications and Information | APC

The model has been discontinued but you can ask APC to give you the equivalent.

Hi Nikhil, good to know another user of APC2000VA. I have one of them which i bought in the year 2007 and still going strong. no issue whatso ever (touchwood). At that time, i paid close to 50k, but it has protected my projector from many a heartburn. Hail APC.

Sine wave is the purest form of alternate current and is undoubtedly the best choice. i would presume that the transformer would heat less due to the form factor.

Last edited:
I am using APC Home UPS BI850SINE for my PC, Audio and couple of lights and a fan. I would say its worth going for an UPS with Sine wave ouput (Online if you can afford that extra) by connecting many equipments in the house including your TVs and CFLs.
And UPS is very important if any of your system is having Harddisk. Thats the most sensitive stuff which will have direct impact with power fluctuations/outage.

And better go for Tubular (which need regular distilled water maintenance) battery for UPS. This will have a long life.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back