Urgent Help Reqd : Acoustic Portrait PM1 Pre for Quad 909 Power Amp

cmsajith

I am planning to get Acoustic Portrait PM1 Pre to pair with Quad 909 power amp. Please comment on this combination wrt the impedance matching and the SQ / Performance. Please help..

Thanks in advance

Power Amp : Quad 909 (http://www.audioreview.com/cat/amplification/amplifiers/quad/909/prd_325674_1583crx.aspx)

Speakers Quad 22L2
Quad 22 L2 Specification
Transducer Complement 2.5 Way
Cone Bass Driver 170mm / 6.5
Cone Bass / Mid Driver 170mm / 6.5
Soft Dome Tweeter 25mm / 1
Nominal Impedance 6 Ohms (compatible with 8 Ohm amplifier outputs)
Frequency Response (-6dB) 30Hz - 28kHz
Upper Limit (-10dB) 32kHz
Power Handling - Continuous 150W
Power Handling - Recommended Amplifier 50-300W
Enclosure type Ported / Sealed Mid
System Fb 35Hz
Crossover Frequency(s) 150Hz, 3kHz
Construction 15/25mm MDF
Quad 22 L 2 Dimensions (H x W x D) 850 x 205 x 278mm

DAC : Caiman (may go for Gator MOD) (http://www.homehifi.co.uk/products/Caiman.html)

Last edited:
Bro,

The PM-1 preamp is currently in use by many folks I know. It has been paired successfully with many power amps like the following:

Plinius SA Reference
Odyssey stratos, Khartago extreme/plus versions
Symphonic line (forgot the model name. DR bass uses this one)
Kharma class D mono blocks
Acoustic portrait power amps (many versions)

Are you looking for specific technical parameters to figure out if there will be a match with the quads ?

Basically I wanted to check the compatibility of Quads with this pre as it has a high sensitivity of .775mV (chances for distortion with 1/4th or 1/2th of the volume range), chances of impedance mismatch which can degrade the SQ along with other params that may degrade the SQ. In simple terms whether this pre is a good match for the Quad909?

Bro,

The PM-1 preamp is currently in use by many folks I know. It has been paired successfully with many power amps like the following:

Plinius SA Reference
Odyssey stratos, Khartago extreme/plus versions
Symphonic line (forgot the model name. DR bass uses this one)
Kharma class D mono blocks
Acoustic portrait power amps (many versions)

Are you looking for specific technical parameters to figure out if there will be a match with the quads ?

I am planning to get Acoustic Portrait PM1 Pre to pair with Quad 909 power amp. Please comment on this combination wrt the impedance matching and the SQ / Performance. Please help..

Thanks in advance

Cannot comment on this combination but read when Acostic Portrait Pre Power was tested with number of Pre - Power , sources and Speakers

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/31248-hfv-pune-meet.html

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge/31248-hfv-pune-meet-36.html

Bluntly put it failed everyone's expectaton ,both components with many possible combinations. I remember humble Norge Power amp beating AP power hands down ! Also in pre I feebly remember OP Mishras diy pre ( Pass B1 Sachin's Kit getting all kudoes

Not surprisingly the owner silently sold the kit . But if anyone observant enough ,regularly AP kit is available in "for sale" .. why ?? I mean seeing the low volume sales this is a quiete high occurance :lol::lol: . My hypothesis is that you read , you thought something else , you get disillusioned .... and you sell !!:clapping::clapping:

Or maybe the sound signature is for particular genre. I feel they are tuned to work with each other for a narro genere.

So my saying is that be very careful and buy after testing only !

Other members please share your views !

Thanks in advance

Pre and power need to be matched well and if not can lead to wrong conclusions on the quality of either. I have heard some really good setups using this pre which sound very transparent so can say its a good product

I have not heard of this combo and cannot comment on it but up you could pm Dr Bass has he used it very happily with a very nice ATC/Symphonic setup.

But if buying blind suggest not to go for it and instead look for Quads own Pre else it would be a roll of dice

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back