USB Flash Drive 2.0 - 2000GB

reju

Hi does anyone have experience with these high capacity generic pen drives?
How reliable they are, etc?

2000GB? I think you have the number of zeros wrong. You are talking about a 2TB flash drive. AFAIK, there is no such thing.

Cheers

Such a flash drive doesn't exist. The largest USB flash drive you can buy is 256GB and getting those is rare and costs a bomb.

Amazon.com: Kingston Datatraveler 310 - 256 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive DT310/256GB: Electronics

My cousin bought a 500GB drive off eBay about 8 months back. He used to try it on and off - connection is crapshoot and it takes so goddamn long to copy.The only reason he bought it was , it was only $15 and he felt it was worth taking a look at that price.

I haven't seen him use it in the last many months though - should ask him if it is still there and if it works.

It can't be a genuine sized flash stick in any case - but it is barely 1400 yen so far - so only about Rs 750 or so - you can decide on the risk.

This does not sound true. Read the following (loosely translated) in the site.

HIC and support for manufacturers warranty for defects from me,
I'm not sure on how far it can demonstrate,
The thing that is your understanding jokes junk goods,
If you like things like this, thank you purchase.

:):)

If you do a search for 'largest flash drive size' in Google you will get a max or 256 or 512GB. (Kingston Technology Company - Press - Kingston Technology Unveils the World's First 256GB USB Flash Drive).

Some of these fake drives have a small chip inside that reports wrong file size. When you start copying files, you will realise that, in reality, it stores some 64 or 128GB. In any case, 2TB cannot be be formatted with Fat16 or Fat32 and actually needs a special partitioning system such as GUID Partition Table (GPT).

I just got a 2TB external drive and I am aware of what needs to be done to get it working in 32 bit XP.

Cheers

Cheers

Last edited:
My cousin bought a 500GB drive off eBay about 8 months back. He used to try it on and off - connection is crapshoot and it takes so goddamn long to copy.The only reason he bought it was , it was only $15 and he felt it was worth taking a look at that price.

It takes that long cos its a fake. I've seen way too many of these types - they report huge sizes and once you try to copy stuff, it just dies after a point and if you check the windows/unix log files, there's a whole lot of write failed errors.

Sir need to discuss this?
Mcan we? better to open a separate thread right?

Actually there is no great difficulty to this . I have done this with internal and external 2TB drives in the past and this is the issue.

1. Windows XP CAN access and read 2TB FAT32 drives without any problem

2. Windows XP CANNOT FORMAT using its native MS programs (with gui) anything larger than 32GB with FAT32

You can do the following solutions

A - use fdisk on Win ME or old Win 98

B - 3rd party fat32 formatting

1. Ridgecrop

2. Swissknife

3. Download a trial copy of Acronis True Image

Last edited by a moderator:
Stay Away!

You will get such 64GB flashes in Palika for Rs 100/- (may be less) onwards. Of course to start with he would say Rs 1000/- or whatever. Like a typical Palika shopper you try to bargain at 1/3-1/4 cost and quote Rs 200; this guy will chase you in all CP to sell for that price. :D

Guarantee : Nil.
Reliability : Nil.
Will it work : No.

Most of them dont even get recognized. In someUSBs space is not even a GB and in some although it would show 64 GB but you can not write even 64KB. The USB will say one error or other. Most of them are copies of familiar brands design wise.

What you quote is one such similar item.

Thumb Rule : Any item too cheap or too profitable (than its counterparts) is an object of suspicion.

Actually there is no great difficulty to this . I have done this with internal and external 2TB drives in the past and this is the issue.

FAT32 has a file limit which is (2^32)-1 bytes, or one byte less than a full 4GB. FAT32 has a 2TB limit on partition size.

With video files crossing 8GB and above, this would be a constraint. Intel has introduced the GPT partition system that can support upto 9.4 ZB (9.4 10^21 bytes). Microsoft has also started accepting and using GPT partition, and some 64 bit hardware can be booted with what is called EFI that supports GPT in addition to MBR. On all other systems, MBR will take precedence. In such system you have free software available, that allows you to partition, format, and use hard disks of any size and files of any size.

3TB is already available, and it would make sense to look at something that does not limit itself to 2 TB.

Cheers

FAT32 has a file limit which is (2^32)-1 bytes, or one byte less than a full 4GB.
The FAT32 constraint of 4GB has been there from the beginning - the limit of the file has nothing to do with the format itself, which is what I thought we were referring to.

FAT32 has a 2TB limit on partition size.

Actually that is incorrect -

The windows XP ( 32 bit version ) that you were referring to uses 28 bits. 2TB is achievable with default cluster size upto 16KB . But you can increase the cluster size to 32 KB and have support upto 8TB.

3TB is already available, and it would make sense to look at something that does not limit itself to 2 TB.

As I had shown above - FAT32 is not restricted to 2TB

The slant of this discussion however is wrong because the question we should be asking is not
How large can a FAT disk be or
How large can the file sizes be

BUT

How efficient is it and how much space do I lose ?

As the cluster number and sizes increase - we have to deal with enormous amounts of wasted space up to 40% and that is where NTFS comes in with its efficiency. So if we are not forced by Media Players like Seagate FAT+ to use FAT32 (because it corrupts and mangles NTFS) - it would be wiser to look at other formatting options.

Thanks to the multiple tools available nowadays - we can still extract the necessary content from a HD content and retain only the video/audio that we like and compress it (or not) in an mkv and keep the size manageable to less than 4GB. This helps with legacy issues like FAT32.

Thanks to the multiple tools available nowadays - we can still extract the necessary content from a HD content and retain only the video/audio that we like and compress it (or not) in an mkv and keep the size manageable to less than 4GB. This helps with legacy issues like FAT32.

I am not sure about having 8TB under FAT32. I am sure you are right, and I will read that up.

Using the legacy of FAT32 as a constraint to limit file sizes does not make sense to me.

Why should I stick to a legacy system such as FAT32 when I can have much larger file sizes? As the size of drives keeps on increasing, FAT32 will become a hindrance. No one is going to accept a 4GB size when he can get a much larger MKV with FullHD video and HD Audio.

With Windows 7 it does not make sense to have anything other than NTFS as the file system. We are now looking at 1TB as the minimal drive size. If I lose a certain drive space but have the flexibility to read and write files without any size hindrance, I don't think I will mind the loss. Drives are becoming so cheap that a 20-30% overhead will not even bother us.

I have seen media players such as Dune read 2TB drives with ease. GPT has implementation restriction under the Windows OS. Others OSes such as Linux and Unix use GPT with ease. I am sure media players will utilise a file system that optimises their use. For compatibility they will of course read NTFS, and FAT formats. But I am sure they will not restrict themselves to these formats.

Windows itself has abandoned FAT32 under the 64 bit OS. It is only a matter of time before FAT16 and FAT32 disappear completely and more modern file systems are adopted.

In any case, I don't think as end user we have much control over this. This will be decided by the chip makers, the hardware manufacturers, and the OS people.

Cheers

I am not sure about having 8TB under FAT32. I am sure you are right, and I will read that up.

Using the legacy of FAT32 as a constraint to limit file sizes does not make sense to me.

Why should I stick to a legacy system such as FAT32 when I can have much larger file sizes? As the size of drives keeps on increasing, FAT32 will become a hindrance. No one is going to accept a 4GB size when he can get a much larger MKV with FullHD video and HD Audio.

Small size Media players that use Flash drives - USB/Memory cards etc.. upto few GB use FAT16 because it is faster than FAT32

Mid size Players like FAT32 because of the larger size limitation compared to FAT16

A lot of the MPs have issues with NTFS.

So the question is WHY do they do that!! - Isn't it better to implement NTFS - ahaa but there in lies multiple issues

1. Proprietary
FAT is an old file system that is simple, well-documented, readable from a large number of OSs, and supported by a wide range of tools.

NTFS is a newer file system that is feature-rich, proprietary, undocumented at the raw bytes level, and subject to change - even within Service Packs of the same OS version.

Keeping NTFS proprietary allows Microsoft to root NT's security features deep within the file system itself, but it does cast doubts about the reliability and version-compatibility of third-party support.

Without an official maintenance OS from Microsoft, one is forced to look to 3rd-party solutions, and the high stakes involved make FUD about accuracy of NTFS support a serious issue.

2. Cost of memory

NTFS requires at least 64 MB to be on part with FAT . Beyond that NTFS takes charge.

Most tiny MPs sell for barely $100 retail - this includes mktg, sales, support etc. the actual cost of the player is around $40 - they have to ensure that they have the most reliable memory in order to do the following
a. Read the data
b. Interpret the data
c. Send it to the display/sound receivers.

High end players like Dune have around 384 MB and PCH around 256. Every MB counts in a smaller Media Player

3. It is always more complicated to write more lines of code or buy more modules or license them - hence they fall back on legacy.

Good news is that prices are falling and newer players are forced to compete and offer all kinds of support , maybe even make it open source friendly :clapping:

A) In my message I never mentioned FAT 32 ,in fact I am having issue that my installed and formatted drive in Xtreamer is not being recognised by lap
Let me efine the problem go through all equipment ( as there is some issue with windows xp of both my laps ,so let me take corrective stages one by one..

b) Venkat sir just now a new debate is started ,so why not a eprate thread for this?

c) I'll define my issues and will start a seprate thread..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back