Usher mini dancer - sensitivity/power requirement

himadri

Hi
My audio chain is as follows:
Usher mini dancer1/denon pma2000ivr/denon dcd 700ae/rega rp3/audio art power cable & interconnects/jps labs speaker cables-
I tried to find out the amplifier power usage/requirement of my setup using the simple apple i pod decibel meter.(I don't have a proper db meter and don't know where to get one from)
My speakers are a good 5 1/2 ft from the back wall along the short wall inside my 12x14 feet room and greater than 3 ft away from the side walls and about 6 ft apart.
The listening position is about 7 1/2 ft away from the speakers.
2 bass traps are installed at the corners behind the speakers, and a carpet is placed in front of the listening position which is flush against the back wall.
Generally guided by Speaker Sensitivity, Dynamic Range, and Amplifier Output | Confessions of a Part-Time Audiophile and using the Amplifier Power Required Calculator for calculations, I observed the following at slightly above 9 o clock position of the amplifier:
80 db peaks at the listening position.
dynamic headroom 15 db
listening distance 7.5 feet from speakers
speaker sensitivity 85db/w/m
amplifier power required -53 watts.
Though the calculation is for one speaker only I have not corrected it for the second speaker and any other room gain considering the apple device is inaccurate and shows lesser readings and the speakers are quite away from room boundaries.
As I pumped up the volume to just above 10 o clock,I obtained around 85 db peaks but the amp was clearly clipping.
No wonder The calculator shows the power requirement as 167 watts which is way beyond the denon amp's 80 watts rated capacity at 8 ohms.(The ushers don't drop below 6 )
HENCE am I right in assuming that around minimum of 50 comfortable watts (whether tube or solid state) are required for the Usher to attain the reference levels of 80 db at the listening position?
Cheers

Last edited:
Thanks Sid
I had seen the review earlier. I got the sensitivity of 85 db/w/m from these measurements only.The review also mentions the fact that the mini dancers need about 50 watts to go loud which is also borne out by my makeshift measurements.(80 db at listening position).
Is 80 db peaks at listening position common? Anyone has done any measurements?
Cheers

Back