Using 3 stereo amps for 5.1 surround

[email protected]

Hi,

I am using a Raspberry Pi with Hifiberry I2S card for digital output.

My question is , if I use a DAC which would convert the digital output to six channel analog output.
Can I use these 6 channel, such that the 2 front channels are fed to a stereo amp.
2 surround channels are fed to another stereo amp.
1 Center channel is fed to the third stereo amp.
As I am using an active subwoofer, the subwoofer analog channel can be directly fed to the active subwoofer.

Is this setup possibe and will it be effective.

I am using JBL SCS 200 for speakers

Yes, Why not ? When all the decoding is done separately, its only about channel amplification right ? Initial set up and finding the balance will be a bit difficult if you go that way. Do note that even high end AVRs use this model for the presence channels.

spirovirus : Yes I would be using a 5.1 DAC

Thanks to u and gp_freak for the reply.

I am plannig to use this DAC

oTime OT-5R DTS / AC-3 Audio Decoder w/ 5.1 Channel 6-RCA Output - Black (EU Plug) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Has anyone tried this DAC, is it a good to go DAC
With that decoder,you can certainly yous 3 stereo amps to drive HT speakers as suggested by FM. Cant comment on it's internal DAC as never heard.For that price,it can be ok sounding DAC.

Has anyone tried this DAC, is it a good to go DAC

Yes I have and unless u r going for short term temporary set up, please dont go for this. It is total crap local item trust me. Initially it will perform well and make u feel worth the price but it doesnt have any long term value. max within 6 months it will start giving problems. Besides it doesnt have last input memory, an annoyingly disturbingly bright blue light display , and no remote control.

This kind of job is instead done very well by
  1. dvd players (including local ones as well) which have 5.1 analog outputs OR
  2. high end blu ray player like oppo which have 5.1 analog outputs OR
  3. High end pre-amp/sound processors like the ones from Emotiva OR
  4. AV Receivers with 5.1 pre (analog) outs.

At the least even if you are going for DAC, buy a gud branded ones which has some image/service/warranty stuff.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back