Vintage Wharfedale Full range speakers

Wow Rajiv - what passion! Am curious to listen to these speakers' sound signature...Will call and drop in soon.

Finally managed to make it to Rajesh's place yesterday, after many months of planning ( and one misfired trip!). It really was nice to see and listen to his gear, especially his speakers.

Aah really sorry George. couldn't meet you this time in Chennai. I am stuck in Hyderabad, been here for three weeks back only by Wednesday.

Ooops I meant Rajiv, not Rajesh...(Must be getting old)..Got an opportunity to meet Capt Rajesh and get wined and wined with him too!

Raj:

Sorry wasnt able to connect up with you, but look forward to a future trip. Good talking to you tonight.

Hi,

The Wharfedale's had been lying unattended for some months now so I decided to rotate them into the system. Brought the big 6 cuft cabinets down from the lift room on the terrace .Boy was my wife:mad:

Fitted the Wharfedale's in the cabinets and fired up the system. Instantly I realized that one speaker was distorting and it sounded like a voice coil rub.:sad:

Running some test tones and at the same time gently moving the cone to realign it I figured that the distortion was not a voice coil rub but some vibrating/buzzing as if something had come unglued.

Checked the surround, spider and cone and found them to be OK.Only thing left to check was the joint of the voice coil to the cone. Dreading the worst, I cut open the dust cap, and there lay the fault.

The voice coil former (paper) had become brittle after nearly 50 years and had developed a rip. A trip to Ali on Ritchie St. or Babu in B'lore seemed inevitable.

Before making the trip to the speaker repair guys I decided to try and fix this myself. I cut small strips of masking tape and put it on the former so that it would hold.

I played the test tones thorough the driver and there was no distortion. :yahoo:

I connected the drivers sans cabinets and a pair of Lafayette/Toa HW7 tweeters and ran them for quite a few hours last night.

The Wharfedales sound wonderful .Superb TONE.They are one of the best full range /wide range drivers I have heard.

Forum members are welcome to listen to these wonderful drivers.

Regards
Rajiv
Hi Rajiv,
I have an opportunity to buy these wonderful model.The asking price seems to be little high to me.pls advise.

i wish to thank hifi vision team for allowing me to be part of this forum,which is probably the best forum to express,learn and share the best of the best audio options.......and many more things..........as i am new in this forum,i would be starting with asking some questions.....and i am sure the views shared by my new group friendrs here would be helping me a lot.......

thanks in advance.

with warm regards....

Muku Khanna.

Last edited:
Hi,

George, it was great having you over.

I have an opportunity to buy these wonderful model.The asking price seems to be little high to me.pls advise.

Shafic, since you have not mentioned the asking price I do not know what you consider high.

If you have an oportunity to buy the Wharfedale Super 12 speakers you should not pass it up as they are one of the better fullrange drivers out there.

Price is dependant on condition. For a mint pair of Alnico Super 12's I would maybe go up to Rs.20,000/-.

These were expensive drivers even back then,costing around $70 each in the 60's.

Regards
Rajiv

Ooops I meant Rajiv, not Rajesh...(Must be getting old)..Got an opportunity to meet Capt Rajesh and get wined and wined with him too!

Yeah, it was pleasure meeting up with you George and too bad I couldn't make it to Rajiv's place.

@Rajiv, what is the status of the Wharfdales? Where have you set them up? I still remember how good they sounded when you played those drivers briefly even while lying on the floor. They sure must be sounding divine now.

Rajiv

I understand you have 605As with Jeff's XOs.
If you would like to try a time delay LF section see my web site.

www.donpatten.com

This should work with Jeff's HF section

At least try the test tone with your present XOs.
The only thing you may need ,is a dual trace scope, or one with a separate trigger input.

Don

If you have an oportunity to buy the Wharfedale Super 12 speakers you should not pass it up as they are one of the better fullrange drivers out there.

Hi Rajiv,

Today I have got a pair of near mint Wharfedale super 12/RS/DD drivers.

The last time I had the opportunity, it did not work out as the drivers were not in Mumbai. But your advice remained with me. I did not hesitate today.

Many thanks to you.:signthankspin:

regards,
shafic

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back