Vinyl Sound

spacemonkey

Hey guys
I have been away for a while on work and havent been able to report back to this forum. I am a recent Vinyl guy. I bought a second hand turntable from Mr. Sushil Anand. Its a Yamaha C-300 with a standard cartridge. I have this tt hooked up through the CNC Phonostage that Sachin and Mr. Mishra put together for me to a Denon 1612.

I am quite disappointed in this setup. It doesnt sound as nice as it should. Its lacking a lot of midrange and the audio is kinda crackling. I need to crank up the volume on the Denon to about -10dB for it to even begin producing sound through this setup while I can run a HDMI at -20dB and have it sound really loud and full on my Wharfedale 9.1's.

What could I be doing wrong with this TT setup? I am just a beginner. So any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Brand new Phono Stage with brand new batteries.
How would i check my Cart/Cart wires?

Why would it sound like its missing mid range and break apart like that?
It cant be my amp or my speakers would it?

Not sure but If I remember that phonostage had dipswitches for settings. Maybe sachin will help. For cartridge wires just take a look beneath the headshell if wires are connected properly.
Why would it sound like its missing mid range and break apart like that?
It cant be my amp or my speakers would it?
Don't know. But eliminating possible doubts we can come to exact cause.

Last edited:
Does the amp have preset equalisation or ambient choices? Such as Catherdral, Surround, etc? You should be on 2 channel analog output and not on a 5.1 or these preset equalised modes.

Check the earthing wire again. Are the RCA cables plugged into the correct input points?

Is the arm balanced? Is the tracking force as per specs?

A cracking sound to me says that you should check these points above. Good luck

Hey guys
I have been away for a while on work and havent been able to report back to this forum. I am a recent Vinyl guy. I bought a second hand turntable from Mr. Sushil Anand. Its a Yamaha C-300 with a standard cartridge. I have this tt hooked up through the CNC Phonostage that Sachin and Mr. Mishra put together for me to a Denon 1612.

I am quite disappointed in this setup. It doesnt sound as nice as it should. Its lacking a lot of midrange and the audio is kinda crackling. I need to crank up the volume on the Denon to about -10dB for it to even begin producing sound through this setup while I can run a HDMI at -20dB and have it sound really loud and full on my Wharfedale 9.1's.

What could I be doing wrong with this TT setup? I am just a beginner. So any and all feedback is welcome.

Thanks

Hi,
Cnc has enough gain.Which cartridge are you using?If you bought it from dealer that it could be a EEI(Indian make) which has a very low output,or it may have some problem with TT/cartridge.Can you post a closeup pic.

Regards,
Sachin

While comparing with my existing phono stage, volume is at par with other phono stages. Definitely not -10dB difference. Also input loading it set at 47Kohm (3rd switch) you can try all off them on by one.

Also you need to check cartridge alignment first.

Does the amp have preset equalisation or ambient choices? Such as Catherdral, Surround, etc? You should be on 2 channel analog output and not on a 5.1 or these preset equalised modes.

Check the earthing wire again. Are the RCA cables plugged into the correct input points?

Is the arm balanced? Is the tracking force as per specs?

A cracking sound to me says that you should check these points above. Good luck

+1,is your TT setup correctly?check tracking force,stylus condition.I can't go beyond 20% of my amp volume,its vary loud.My amp is Techincs integrated 2 channel and rated only 35v.

Regards,
Sachin

While comparing with my existing phono stage, volume is at par with other phono stages. Definitely not -10dB difference. Also input loading it set at 47Kohm (3rd switch) you can try all off them on by one.

Also you need to check cartridge alignment first.

+1,you need to select one of the impedance on both dip switches to get a decent volume.

Regards,
Sachin

Do speak to Mr Sushil Anand and describe your problem. He is highly experienced and should be able to assist you.

Check the usual suspects:

1. health of stylus - an informal method I use is to remove the headshell, and very gently glide the stylus tip over the back of the hand. It should be sharp and prickly. If it doesn't feel sharp, then your stylus is most likely done for.

2. tonearm balance and counterweight/anstiskate settings - download the user manual for your turntable from vinylengine.com and read up on the correct method. Reset everything to zero/nil and try balancing the arm, setting the correct counterweight value (depends on the recommended tracking weight of your cartridge), then finally the antiskate value.

3. Hope the connection from turntable to CNC is OK, including earth wire.

Joshua

Hey guys
First of all, as usual, thanks for all the feedback.

I am pretty darn sure its not the CNC cause I completely trust Sachin and Mr. Mishra on this rig and I even took it to Mr. Sushil Anand's place and tried it out and it sounded fine on the tt there.

I am waiting to have a chat with him tomorrow as he was out of town the last time I checked in on him. Since i am a new beginner to the vinyl world, I got in touch with him sometime back and he was kind enough to find me this TT and even checked it up for me before selling it to me. There is no doubt in my mind that I trust his judgement completely when he indicated that this tt was fine and dandy.
None the less, I will describe my problem to him tomorrow and see what recommendations he has for me.

I dont really know how to check the balance of the tone arm or the stylus. I did try to find a user manual for this baby on vinylengine, but to no avail. Not at home right now. But will get back home and get the specs on it and check again.

Thanks again for the feedback guys.
Will update everyone in the morning :)

^^
I think it a simple matter of balancing your tonearm. i could be that when you were transporting the TT from sushil's place to your home, the tonearm balance must have gone awry...

just go to you tube and do a search on how you can balance the tone arm. If i were still in Mumbai, i'd have done it for you...

Hi,
This video might help for tonearm setup
How to adjust your turntable's tone arm - YouTube

also check connection between headshell and cartridge,here is the correct order for cartridge connection:
White(L+)--------Left channel(+)
Blue(L-) ---------Left channel(-)
Red(R+)---------Right channel(+)
Green(R-)-------Right channel(-)

Can you tell me which cartridge are you having a closeup pic of cartridge will help.

Regards,
Sachin

Am guessing with the symptoms listed there's one thing that could be causing this - a clogged stylus. Clean the stylus and see. A paintbrush dipped in a mixture of isopropyl achohol mixed with distiller water 20:80 ratio or see if you get isopropyl tabs from a chemist. They are small squares.

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back