Volume on AV receiver - onkyo Sr606

hifi1975

What is the volume level ( the number ) you normally use for your av receiver to get a reasonably good sound ie clear diaglogue and some surround experience

I have Onkyo Sr606 and of the the DVDs i rent out , i need to go up as high as 45-55 to get a decent output ..I sit no more than 8 feets from the TV and anything below this somehow the dialogues ( esp english ones ) are not clear.
I have already set by speakers to higher db levels ( + 8 for surround and side and + 12 db for center ).

Just wanted to check if i need to further fine tune ..or just ignore the volume number and increase it till its clear and loud :)

By the way i am using 5.1 original DVDS ( Assasins , MI )

It is very difficult to judge what is a good level without a lot of other information. For example, is you room quite, is there a lot of ambient noise, are you using good cables to transfer data, what is the DVD player you are using....

Generally, the guide is to not increase the sound beyond 70 to 75dB as measure with a SPL meter.

As long as the sound does not hurt your ears, and you are able to hear all dialogues well, there is no harm. I also use an Onkyo and generally my level on the AVR is around 35-40, so I suppose you are all right.

Cheers

I have Onkyo TX-SR606 too and I use volume level between 45-55 to get the best cinematic effect. BTW what speakers do you have?

I use normally vol 35 as average for Onk330 AVR.
To split 27-30 for music & 37 max for DVDs(42 for X-man 3)

It depends on your spk too.With sensitive spk,you need low vol.
Rest as Venkat said.

My speaker set is onkyo THX 7.1 ( model # need to check SR990 ?? ).
Regarding ambience ..its normally quite no traffic sound..just normal noise

Also some of the cable channels come out too loud while compared to others. I suppose it has to do with transmission

My question was more from DVD perspective ..Is there a software that can tell me if DVDs can be compared for sound output when compared to each other.

General observation DTS 5.1 dvds are louder than Dolby 5.1

hifi, Even I need 50-60 for good volume( Its only at about 60 it gets quite loud) but again my source is not so good.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back