VU launches 85 inch QLED with FALD and 1000 Nits at 3.5 Lakh

Devita Saraf (Vu's owner and CEO) says this is as good as a premium international brand with huge confidence. She is 2 years younger than me and while I am thinking twice in investing in a 2.7 lakhs 85" Vu TV, she has dared to take this brand as a 150 million dollar networth company!! Admire her.
Do whatever you desire mate! But at the end, she is not the one diagnosing the repair and writing the firmware. If the parts are not stocked for service and support, what good a 150 million dollar is for the end user?
Btw, I’m a vu user and sometimes the bugs in the software just drove me crazy that now it only does monitor duty.

So I bit the bullet and picked one up on Amazon. I was hoping to wait for the price to come down some more before buying but the glass railings to the stairs inside my new flat are going in and it would have been very difficult to haul it up to my TV room which is upstairs after that. The only other choice would have been with ropes from the outside and I didn't want to risk that either. It was a bit of a tight fit in the lift to get it to my floor but it made it fine sideways.
I have been playing with it a little bit amidst readying my house for moving in a few days and it does look promising. Since the curtains haven't gone in, there's too much light in the room so I can't really judge it for normal viewing conditions but 4K looks pretty good already. I will post a proper review after setting it up and calibrating it when I have a little more time.
The delivery and installation guys were super nice and very careful with the TV. They checked for any physical damage, turned it on and went through the basic functionality to make sure everything works. I posted a white image on the screen to check for any dead pixels (there were none). It doesn't come with a wall mount so it is still on it's legs until I can source a proper VESA 800X400 mount for it, which the installer has promised to do.
Since I already have a VU 75 incher (which is going into another room) the size didn't overwhelm me but it is still pretty impressive. I won't say it will be a replacement for a projection TV but it is a decent substitute if you don't want to go through the motions of darkening the room every time you want to watch some TV on a very large screen. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of it's size.

Attachments

• vu2.jpg
    vu2.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 162
  • VU1.jpg
    VU1.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
It's good forumers are experimenting bigger screens from these brands.

I'm not a purist and am willing to take a little knock in Picture Quality as a trade-off for what I want, in this case a larger screen size at a significant discount to name brands. Of course, reliability and support are crucial issues but I have had the VU 75"'er for nearly 4 years now and it has performed flawlessly which is why I decided to take the plunge with an even larger one from the brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a further price drop but I explained my compulsions for picking it up now.

I'm not a purist and am willing to take a little knock in Picture Quality as a trade-off for what I want, in this case a larger screen size at a significant discount to name brands. Of course, reliability and support are crucial issues but I have had the VU 75"'er for nearly 4 years now and it has performed flawlessly which is why I decided to take the plunge with an even larger one from the brand. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a further price drop but I explained my compulsions for picking it up now.
Yes. If those railings come in place, to transport this monster will likely take great wits. Good timing. Electronics will always come down in price with time and timing is a key here. Even if one has to pay a few thousands extra, convenience takes precedence over those extra cost cuttings.

So I bit the bullet and picked one up on Amazon. I was hoping to wait for the price to come down some more before buying but the glass railings to the stairs inside my new flat are going in and it would have been very difficult to haul it up to my TV room which is upstairs after that. The only other choice would have been with ropes from the outside and I didn't want to risk that either. It was a bit of a tight fit in the lift to get it to my floor but it made it fine sideways.
I have been playing with it a little bit amidst readying my house for moving in a few days and it does look promising. Since the curtains haven't gone in, there's too much light in the room so I can't really judge it for normal viewing conditions but 4K looks pretty good already. I will post a proper review after setting it up and calibrating it when I have a little more time.
The delivery and installation guys were super nice and very careful with the TV. They checked for any physical damage, turned it on and went through the basic functionality to make sure everything works. I posted a white image on the screen to check for any dead pixels (there were none). It doesn't come with a wall mount so it is still on it's legs until I can source a proper VESA 800X400 mount for it, which the installer has promised to do.
Since I already have a VU 75 incher (which is going into another room) the size didn't overwhelm me but it is still pretty impressive. I won't say it will be a replacement for a projection TV but it is a decent substitute if you don't want to go through the motions of darkening the room every time you want to watch some TV on a very large screen. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of it's size.
Hey buddy, I am eagerly waiting for your review. I have been eyeing this TV primarily as a large screen for gaming, so was wondering if you have been able to test if it does native 120hz on the panel or is it extrapolated like the Mi 75? I think it supports HDMI 2.1 but does it also support features like VRR?

Congrats on your purchase, I have 86 inch TCL too and I know big size overwhelms the clarity that my eyes I can or cannot understand. I am looking to purchase this or TCL and there's no where I can find at the price of 2.6 except in FK which is coming for around 3.10. Do you have any source or just amazon ?

No reviews still...?
Off the bat, there is considerable Dirty Screen Effect even after I exchanged one for the same reason (which was even worse). I was not as impressed with the PQ as on the 75" VU that was my main TV prior to this one (a quality 4K source used to have almost a 3D effect on it). But the main reason why I picked it up viz. the massive picture size does not fail to impress. YMMV. Lulu Mall in Rajajinagar, Bangalore had one on display when I was there yesterday (it was marked down to 2.39L) and I could still see vestiges of DSE especially around the edges. You can go check it out there if you're interested.

Off the bat, there is considerable Dirty Screen Effect even after I exchanged one for the same reason (which was even worse). I was not as impressed with the PQ as on the 75" VU that was my main TV prior to this one (a quality 4K source used to have almost a 3D effect on it). But the main reason why I picked it up viz. the massive picture size does not fail to impress. YMMV. Lulu Mall in Rajajinagar, Bangalore had one on display when I was there yesterday (it was marked down to 2.39L) and I could still see vestiges of DSE especially around the edges. You can go check it out there if you're interested.
Hello..Can you please share your long term review of this model? Planning to buy it.. Is Dirty Screen Effect still very apparent?

Since I already have a VU 75 incher (which is going into another room) the size didn't overwhelm me but it is still pretty impressive. I won't say it will be a replacement for a projection TV but it is a decent substitute if you don't want to go through the motions of darkening the room every time you want to watch some TV on a very large screen. Here are some pictures to give you an idea of it's size
No reviews still...?
Did you buy this model?

Hello..Can you please share your long term review of this model? Planning to buy it.. Is Dirty Screen Effect still very apparent?

Yes, it is noticeable mostly in cloudy/dusty scenes with movement but I have gotten used to it. I have had no problems with the TV so far but I religiously turn it off after every viewing. I was pleasantly surprised with my interaction with VU during the installation and voluntary replacement so I will say that product support is pretty good and an extended warranty should give you further peace of mind. I'm no videophile and with minimum calibration with a couple of video test patterns from AVS forum, the picture is quite decent. But poorly produced or low resolution content looks pretty bad while that from quality sources like Apple TV through my Nvidia Shield pro is awesome. There is noticeable judder in 30Hz content as the huge screen size amplifies it but 60Hz is pretty smooth.

Yes, it is noticeable mostly in cloudy/dusty scenes with movement but I have gotten used to it. I have had no problems with the TV so far but I religiously turn it off after every viewing. I was pleasantly surprised with my interaction with VU during the installation and voluntary replacement so I will say that product support is pretty good and an extended warranty should give you further peace of mind. I'm no videophile and with minimum calibration with a couple of video test patterns from AVS forum, the picture is quite decent. But poorly produced or low resolution content looks pretty bad while that from quality sources like Apple TV through my Nvidia Shield pro is awesome. There is noticeable judder in 30Hz content as the huge screen size amplifies it but 60Hz is pretty smooth.
Thank you so much @grebe925 for the detailed reply!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back