Wadia 151 PowerDAC mini

There is an offer for the DAC on Music direct.com . List price $1200 Offer price $499. Good deal provided someone can get it for you from the States.

Zoony,
Thanks,But I had seen that on Music Direct and wanted to know the difference in India also if someone has used it how is it, heard it is good.

Hi,
I am trying to get it from the States need to know if it can drive Wharfedale 10.7 floorstanders please help.

That model is discontinued one they are selling old stock and demo items.It is better to get it from musicdurect as you cannot get item for that price in India I hope.

Hi,
Have already ordered the Wadia 151 from Amazon will get it by middle if next month, now need some recommendations for speakers so count on all you pro's out there to pitch in.Thanks.

wadia 151 will be a nice buy for a medium size room.

look for high sensitivity 2 driver FS - if FS else look at something like the Amphion Ion+ or a dali mentor menuet or dali Ikon 1 or 2.

u havent mentioned the budget for speakers.

there are some good reviews on the epos elan 1 too..

but important thing is to get the amp in india and take it with you for audition.

dont pull the trigger on the speakers till you hear the combo. The wadia is a light amp and can be easily taken to bangalore for auditioning speakers.

and please be careful.. indian voltage 50 hz 220v

ymmv..

mpw

and please be careful.. indian voltage 50 hz 220v
ymmv..

mpw

Looking at the specifications and images on the musicdirect.com site it looks like it is of universal voltage (100 - 240v and 50/60Hz). Even I am contemplating to get one for $499 and $449 (demo) on musicdirect.com site is a very good deal. But no idea how does it compare to similar model from NAD D3020 which is of slightly higher wattage and moreover the NAD has analog in along with digital inputs but the Wadia has only digital ins. I think on the same site the NAD is also going for $499.

Manniraj,

From what I read - I was looking at the wadia when the price was higher - the wadia would probably sound better but at the end of the day its all about compatibility in the chain.

So go for what suits your pocket and balance in the chain.

PS : I must add - I haven't heard the wadia but only read about it but at $499 it is tempting indeed for what it can do.

YMMV..

Mpw

Manniraj,

From what I read - I was looking at the wadia when the price was higher - the wadia would probably sound better but at the end of the day its all about compatibility in the chain.

So go for what suits your pocket and balance in the chain.

PS : I must add - I haven't heard the wadia but only read about it but at $499 it is tempting indeed for what it can do.

YMMV..

Mpw

Rightly said mpw.
Yes definitely at $499 it is tempting at what it can deliver and most VFM for a all in one solution. But I am comparing this with the NAD D3020 which also retails for the same price but I think it also has a analog in to connect to you other than digital sources. Lets see how it turns out to be as I am yet to decide and also look for the budget and may be there is a friend who can carry it along with him from US sometime next month :D

Hi,
Thanks to all for the input,i was thinking of wharfedale 10.2 or Dali ikon 2, I have all my music in digital on my laptop running jriver 19 so I don't have the need for analog,will only get the 151 end of next month will try and put in some pictures once set up.

The Wadia will match the Dali Ikon exceedingly well. Together they will create a very well balanced sounding system.

I auditioned the Wadia 151 with Vienna Acoustics speakers and together they made sweet music. The overall signature was pretty darn close to I have heard Dali Ikon sound. Unfortunately I never got around to writing a detailed report of the audition.

Congrats on the purchase of one of the best PowerDACs on the market.

Thanks Ranjeetrain,
Will look into the Dali ikon 2 its available at Chennai Vipul audiotech would like to know what you think of the KEF Q300.

The KEF has better balance. But the Dali has unmatchable highs compared to any speaker I have heard under USD 2000-2500. Highs from the silk dome-ribbon hybrid tweeter module is piece of marvel only seen in very expensive speakers. With right amplification highs from Dali Ikon are some of the most grain-free you would hear from any speaker except the very expensive ones. Feed a Dali with a slightly bass heavy and top neutral amp and you won't need an upgrade till your listening has improved significantly, or you realize you like some oomph in certain frequency bands.

What KEF will do better is, play low frequencies with more weight. It's mid-range would also be slightly forward compared to Dali Ikon 2.

Think about this. Do you like a forward sound or a slightly laid back? The KEF will be the former, the Dali will be the latter. KEF will jump at you from the word go. Dali will spell it's cast on you slowly but will never let you leave.

Thanks Ranjeetrain,I got an offer for the KEF Q300 for 37K have no idea what the Dali Ikon 2 cost think it is in the same bracket but will not be able to audition don't have much time in India,will find out if Dali's are available in Cochin and look them up.Man you really know your music. Thanks Again.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back