Walkman repair

GezH

Hi everyone. Posting here to try and get advice on repairing an old walkman I picked up. If this is the wrong place, if you know where I should ask, please do advise!

The walkman is an old classic wm 36. It seems to be mostly in excellent working order, sounds great - but one of the spindles isn't turning so the tape just winds into the machine. I've opened it up, and sure enough one of the drive belts is just sitting there not connected to anything. So, there's a chance that simply resetting the belt might get it working again.

Problem is, I can't see exactly where the belt should go. There are two belts. One is in place. The second clearly goes around the white plastic disc in the middle, but I'm not sure where the other end attaches to, as there's not another spindle with enough room for another belt. Both belts also seem very loose so I'm wondering if they need replacing.

Picture 1 shows how I found it. Picture 2 shows how I think it might go, but the spindle doesn't look like it was designed to drive two belts.

I would appreciate any advice!

Attachments

• walkman1.jpg
    walkman1.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 70
  • walkman2.jpg
    walkman2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 69
Both belts also seem very loose so I'm wondering if they need replacing.
Hello GezH,
from low res. pic it looks like belt positions are correct. To find out if they are loose try placing finger on one of the pulley and rotate other pulle/disc. If belt slips or if there is very little torque replace the belts. If they are not very loose try cleaning them with iso propyl alcohol.
Regards

Hi - after spending longer looking at it, I found another smaller spindle hidden underneath the large on, which is clearly where this belt is supposed to go.

It worked for a few seconds, but then came off again, so as you suggest the belts need replacing. There's kits available for a tenner, so hopefully I should be able to get it up and running agian!

Hi - after spending longer looking at it, I found another smaller spindle hidden underneath the large on, which is clearly where this belt is supposed to go.

It worked for a few seconds, but then came off again, so as you suggest the belts need replacing. There's kits available for a tenner, so hopefully I should be able to get it up and running agian!

Its simple, looks like the belt has stretched a bit and will need a replacement. By the way, it is very difficult to find exact replacements for a belt when one is not sure what the original size was so you'll have to take your walkman along to the shop and try on different belt options. The replacement should not be very thight and at the same time, should not have too much of play.

Another bit, I am not able to tell from the pictures but assuming that your belt is wrapped around the motor pulley and a plastic drive wheel. If this is the case, please clean the belt-channel on the plastic drive wheel as well. These walkman belts were famous for leaving rubber residue on the plastic drive wheel belt channels, over a period of time. This rubber residue would absorb water from the air and form a slimy paste (hardish) which would cause belts to slip.

Just my 2 cents.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back