Want an AVR/HTIB..Already have stereo amp and Wharfedale 10.2

kush

Hey..I am looking to get an AVR/HTIB, and am confused. Please help me!!!!

Here are my needs..

I have a stereo setup....Marantz PM 6002 and Wharfedale 10.2. Am very happy with the music setup!

I also have a Tata Sky HD+ and PS3. Since I dont have an AVR, PS3 audio is stereo, and Tata Sky HD+ is through the TV.

I'm now looking for an AVR or HTIB, and want to be able to do the following:

1. Connect TS HD+, PS3 and a DVD player to optical/coaxial IN.
2. Ideally, use the Wharfedale 10.2 for audio, as well as fronts for the home theater. Is this possible without using a switcher?
3. Budget is not great (approx 25K, can at the most stretch to 30K)

I saw Onkyo HTS 3300, which does meet all my needs, but wanted to evaluate other options, which can work.

Calling out to all forum member, pls help!!

Go for Denon 1612 .. Matches well with Wharf 10.2 and (get a 2 input, one output box or DIY yourself) to use the exising amp for listening to audio and AVR for movies with the same speakers..

Thanks to baijuxavior and yahoo0212 for their replies!

I checked out the Denon 1612, and looks nice, though it seems to have only one optical in (I wanted atleast 2, one for STB and one for PS3).

As a HTIB, how does the Denon compare to Onkyo 3300/3400? I know there are several threads on this, but I cant seem to find too many threads where the Denon is being appreciated more than the Onkyo (in my budget range, of course)....

As you pointed out, Denon has only one optical and coaxial input. But I think you don't need these inputs for the STB and PS3 as audio is available over HDMI. Which STB are you using? Some HD STBs require SPDIF out for 5.1. If you need more digital inputs then look for yamaha 471 which has two of them.

Comparison between Onkyo 3400/3300 and Denon 1612 is not right as the former is a full HTIB where as you need a 5.1 speaker system for denon 1612. Feature wise, denon 1612 is better. Onkyo 3400/3300 lacks subwoofer out so that you can't use active subwoofers. This is not a problem if you are satisfied with the bundled subwoofer's performance. Denon 1612 can be upgraded to 7.1 by adding a stereo amp or powered speakers, it has Audessey auto calibration, USB for audio/ipod playback etc.

baijuxavior: Sorry for the delayed reply, was out of town, and limited connectivity!

My STB is tata sky HD+, and a firmware release has ensured that there is no 5.1 audio through HDMI, and requires the optical!

So this rules out the Denon 1612 for me.

I plan to check these out this weekend. Hopefully this week will end this search! Thanks again for your reply!

Take it sportingly. You can sell the stb, frequently or tatasky might come with further updates, which will restrict you from something else. But you dont exchange/update the AVRs, every now and then. Get a good AVR and then decide which petty equipments you can upgrade/update.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back