Was at Virens place yesterday

prem

Yesterday I was in Delhi and managed to get some time off to go and listen to Virens system. Heard his single drivers with the 2A3 integrated. Source was a modded Garrard 301 and a Linn.

To my ears the Garrard 301 was way superior to Linn. It was far more musical, immediate and alive.

Virens amp and speakers were extremely musical and for the price its a steal. I would strongly recommend his combo.

And finally a thanks to Viren for accommodating me at such short notice.

Very interesting.

Here is a Gerrard 301 restoration project in six moons.

6moons audio reviews: Garrard 301 Restoration Project

I liked the following comment:

A Deep Dark Secret
In the deep recesses of the audio underground where single-ended amplifiers, horn-loaded loudspeakers and single & field-coil drivers dance in the shadows of the audio illuminati's imagination, there is a secret whispered among the faithful: "A fully restored and hot-rodded vintage Garrard 301 transcription turntable is the ultimate analog musical device."

Hi,

Art Dudley has written about the Garrard 301 and the Thorens TD124 in the Feb 2011 issue of Stereophile.

Art is also a long time Linn LP12 owner.

It was far more musical, immediate and alive.

I agree the Garrard is more immediate and alive but I find the fludity and airyness of the Linn and TD 124 more to my liking.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Anm

It happened all very suddenly. I came by the morning flight. Had a meeting at 10 and another at 2 and my return flight was at 5 in the evening. My morning meeting got over real fast and i could pull out an hour. So i called Viren to check if i could come. Nothing was pre planned.

Hi Rajiv

The Linn did not sound airy at Virens place.

Last edited:
Viren is also working on a SET amp using the GM 70 tube. So that should give music lovers a wide variety of choices. He already has a 2A3, a 845 and a 6C33C SET amp

Back