WD40 for LP cleaning

Dear Varun,
The most important thing is that you will need to learn to filter out unwanted noise from a LP.
There are three major type of noises.
Background noise or a floor noise.The second noise is due to physical damage to the grooves.It may be scratchy clicks and pops and the last is due to static electricity developing on the vinyl record.The static will attract lot of dust on the LPs..You will need to eliminate the static by some means.
Please Do not Wet play the record.It will sound very nice but will definitely damage your stylus.
You can try one more thing.
Initially skip track one of the LP and start from second track onwards. You will skip initial noise which is always more in first few minutes than in later tracks.
Use Carbon Brush to reduce static.Wash the record with a mild dishwasher soap.A drop in 100 ml water.Sprinkle some on the dirty record and wash is with hands.On majority of the lps, you will get waterproof labels.But try not to rub the labels.Do not use iso propyl alcohol on the records.Do not wipe the record with any cloth.Try to use fresh mircofibre cloth till you get Vacume vac 33.
Happy listening.
Dr Khanwelkar

Alcohol desolves alcohol soluble particals and forms a thin film at the depth of the groove.If the record is not vaccumed and is allowed to dry,the information etched in the deapth of the groove is permanantly gone.
So no isopropyl alcohol on any records be it a shellac or polyvinyl chloride.

Trust me, I have heard of people using fire guns to clean the records. Just expose the LP to fire for a tiny second and pull it out. It supposedly just burns the debris entrenched in the grooves. Then give the LP a good wash. For me, shooting a human being would be easier. But this? Hmmm

Trust me, I have heard of people using fire guns to clean the records. Just expose the LP to fire for a tiny second and pull it out. It supposedly just burns the debris entrenched in the grooves. Then give the LP a good wash. For me, shooting a human being would be easier. But this? Hmmm
:eek::D:D:D:D

you can use 3m Enzyme cleaner which also has non ionic surfactant.Triton x 100 you will get from the store which provide chemicals for the chemistry department.
Vinyl Vac 33 ,you will get on amazon.
Please give the ratio in which you use distilled water, enzyme cleaner and Triton X 100, thanks.
Alcohol desolves alcohol soluble particals and forms a thin film at the depth of the groove.If the record is not vaccumed and is allowed to dry,the information etched in the deapth of the groove is permanantly gone.
So no isopropyl alcohol on any records be it a shellac or polyvinyl chloride.
This is alarming, especially seeing the extent to which IPA is suggested everywhere.
But for a vacuum system like Kuruvila Jacob uses, IPA should be fine I guess.

500 ml DW
1 ml Triton X 100(8 drops)
1 ml of enzyme cleaner.
start doing this and use vinyl vac to vacume the record with a wet vaccume cleaner.
I am recleaning it with pure DW and Revac it.
You do not need Iso Propyl Alcohol if you use enzyme.
It contains three enzymes
1)Protease which disolves proteins(Moulds,Fungus)
2) Amylase which disolves sugars( Sugar contamination,Sugar produced by the bacteria and molds)
3)Lipase which disolves Fats.( Finger Prints)

Alcohol has deleterious effect on plastic.In fact ,Xylol desolves plastic.It has benzene in it.It is used to clean Glass lenses of the microscope off the fungus.But it can not be used to clean plastic.

You can send your whole lot of LP's to me BEFORE you clean them with WD 40 .. WD is a fish oil to be precise..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back