What are the EQ curves of some Indian Phono Records?

sunder

Hi friends, Old phono records were recorded by different companies in specific EQ curve of it's own by Colombia, HMV, RCA and Philips. But, how to know the EQ curves of some Indian records like Inreco, Echo, Polydor, AVM, Sangeetha and few other's? Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

Last edited:
Hi friends, Old phono records were recorded by different companies in specific EQ curve of it's own by Colombia, HMV, RCA and Philips. But, how to know the EQ curves of some Indian records like Inreco, Echo, Polydor, AVM, Sangeetha and few other's? Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

Assume you are referring to 78rpm records?

Assume you are referring to 78rpm records?

reuben, am asking about the modern vinyl records. There is a facility in iFi audio micro phono preamp for 6 different EQ compensation settings with DIP switches with chart. In that we can set exactly for the record to be played. Well known label's (colombia,HMV,Decca) EQ curve specifications are available on the net. But few of our country label's specs neither known nor available. If you find, please publish here. Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

reuben, am asking about the modern vinyl records. There is a facility in iFi audio micro phono preamp for 6 different EQ compensation settings with DIP switches with chart. In that we can set exactly for the record to be played. Well known label's (colombia,HMV,Decca) EQ curve specifications are available on the net. But few of our country label's specs neither known nor available. If you find, please publish here. Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

oh, ok. Got it. First time I'm hearing this.

Went online and checked for the concept, this is what I saw: ifi Audio Micro iPhono MM/MC Phonostage A rare audiophile no-brainer bargain. Review By Ron Nagle

If any one finds something specific to the eq standards for record labels, do let us know (only out of curiosity). But honestly when playing records, this is the last thing I would worry about.

All records manufactured post early 60s use the RIAA equalisation curve. Prior to that record labels had their own curve. Actually RIAA came into being in mid 50s but i believe it took a few years before everyone adopted that. So all 33 rpm and 45 rpm lps and eps manufactured in India will be using the standard RIAA curve.

All records manufactured post early 60s use the RIAA equalisation curve. Prior to that record labels had their own curve. Actually RIAA came into being in mid 50s but i believe it took a few years before everyone adopted that. So all 33 rpm and 45 rpm lps and eps manufactured in India will be using the standard RIAA curve.

Prem, thank you for the input.

That is definitely the case. But thinking wild, where all the master discs, cut in India using the original analogue multitrack tapes or where the masters imported? If the masters were imported, then could there have been differences (even in the interpretation of RIAA standards while cutting the master)? Just curious as I have noticed that there are variations in the sound quality, from label to label (released by the Gramophone Co of India Ltd).

Wouldn't this be handy for the have not's !!!

avybumen.jpg

Most recording studios worldwide adopted the RIAA standard around 1954-55. The Decca and Columbia proprietary curves were used for recordings prior to those years. The IFi phono stage is superb - I'm using one meself - with multiple options for loading, gain and equalisation options, but the information supplied by them in the package about recording curves, and the dates from which they were adopted, and how you should make your settings, is just plain wrong. The correct information is easily available on the 'net.

Most recording studios worldwide adopted the RIAA standard around 1954-55. The Decca and Columbia proprietary curves were used for recordings prior to those years. The IFi phono stage is superb - I'm using one meself - with multiple options for loading, gain and equalisation options, but the information supplied by them in the package about recording curves, and the dates from which they were adopted, and how you should make your settings, is just plain wrong. The correct information is easily available on the 'net.

G401fan, I could not see about the PSU of IFi phono amp, since you got, how is the power supply? I mean: Is the supplied PSU quality one? OR like other companies' cheap wall wart item?. OR upgraded version PSU is sold seperately? Where did you buy, @ which price? Any dealer here in India? May I know about your player & cart? Which Cart is aptly suitable to this phono amp? Kindly let me know. Thank you.
Cheers,
sunder.

Sunder,
I'd picked it up in Singapore a year ago for about 570 Sing dollars. Its US price is $399, which is a bit of a steal for the quality on offer. There's no separate power supply as yet, not even for the other 4-5 products (Dac, tube buffer, etc) in their product line, all of which have the same form factor. They do seem to have something in their plug-in PS wall connection, because they warn you against using any other PS, and that the warranty is void if you do so. It's trickle down technology from Thorsten Loesch of AMR. It's very quiet, and also very transparent - the loading options are distinct and clearly audible. Plus you can connect two TTs at the same time - with separate MM and MC inputs. I use a 401/3009/Shure V15VxMR and a 301/SMEIII/Benz Micro ACE.
Cheers!

I think any cartridge should work fine, because of the multiple loading options. Also, the 6 db optional gain is a great advantage with low output MCs and even low output MMs like the V15 which has an output of 2.5 Mv..
No dealer in India to my knowledge, but I could be wrong.

Sunder,
I'd picked it up in Singapore a year ago for about 570 Sing dollars. Its US price is $399, which is a bit of a steal for the quality on offer. There's no separate power supply as yet, not even for the other 4-5 products (Dac, tube buffer, etc) in their product line, all of which have the same form factor. They do seem to have something in their plug-in PS wall connection, because they warn you against using any other PS, and that the warranty is void if you do so. It's trickle down technology from Thorsten Loesch of AMR. It's very quiet, and also very transparent - the loading options are distinct and clearly audible. Plus you can connect two TTs at the same time - with separate MM and MC inputs. I use a 401/3009/Shure V15VxMR and a 301/SMEIII/Benz Micro ACE.
Cheers!

Comments on part made bold:

They do have an upgraded power supply (including signal/power isolation) for the iDAC now, called the iUSB Power.

On another note, I've been brought up to believe that the multiple loading options found on phonostages for microgroove records are for matching the cartridge impedance with the input of the phonostage. This generally has nothing to do with equalization as it is assumed that the record being played is RIAA equalized anyways. Of course, the vintage 78 rpm phonostages featuring in preamps and integrateds, had the eq selector for different labels.

Here's an article I dug up on load balancing:

Phono Cartridge Loading

Sunder,
Cheers!

G401fan, thank you for the details. According to FM hydra, there is a dealer in Kerala. I will contact them. It seems that your phono chain is dedicative one. Wish you have plenty of time to spend with them.
Cheers,
sunder.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back