What is the advantage of a smart TV over a 2,500 Rs Chromecast ?

sandys

hi guys,
I'm in the market for a new TV and am looking at different versions. I also have been a heavy user of a Chromecast for past year. The new Chromecast has just been released as well.

I have had large parties in my house where all the guests played playlists using the Chromecast. Youtube, Spotify, etc is a given anyway. The new Chromecast also lets me cast my phone screen. I can stream movies from my laptop as well using Videostream in full 1080p HD. Plus Google keeps it constantly updated and also sometimes gives me free Google Movies, etc. things like Netflix, etc work through the Chromecast (if you have the VPN,etc.)

So I'm trying hard to figure out why I should spend to get a smart TV....especially when they are so much more expensive. Is there something I'm missing - around performance, quality,etc. ?

According to Wikipedia, Smart TVs are devices that can also provide Internet TV, online interactive media, over-the-top content, as well as on-demand streaming media, and home networking access."

If you have a media player or an advanced set-top box, you would get all these externally. TV manufacturers are trying to fight that product range by giving Internet connection directly to the TV.

The issue with any type of connection to the Internet would mean user interaction. That means keyboard, mouse and of course an Internet connection. So Smart TVs must have both RJ-45 as well as WiFi connections. Keyboard and mouse can be overcome with voice controls, but they are not very stable now.

Read this interesting comment on Smart TVs - Smart TVs Are Stupid: Why You Don’t Really Want a Smart TV (Updated)

Cheers

Hello Venkat,

That is one of the first articles I had read sometime ago when thinking about a smart TV. This is one of the best geek sites that I really like and they hit the nail in the head with this wonderful article.

Thanks once more for sharing.

Do the Smart TV remote offer any "pointing and typing device"?

If not then Chromecast and similar add-on solutions (like Amkette EvoTV, Apple TV etc) are better than the Smart TV. Otherwise, makes no difference.

Do the Smart TV remote offer any "pointing and typing device"?

If your Smart TV can connect to a Wifi, you have all the controls and input devices you want. A simple Android or iOS app can convert your tab to the ultimate input device as well as RC.

Cheers

Agreed with VenkatCR, I use Side view app of Sony. But I still love the old way of connecting a PC to the TV with the best Display

The other thing is that android tv box are most likely to get latest updates frequently but smart tv are most likely not to get updates so often.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back