What Should I Buy from UK?

anm

A friend is visiting the UK and I am wondering what can I ask him to get for me. Iphone is out of question, due to 3 week wait, and he is there for 8 more days.
I was looking for a good headphone amp, but I guess with contri build of ehha with gurubhai, and toucan, I am covered on that aspect.
I am looking for a good power amp, but it would be too heavy for him to carry.

I am looking for a good bedside source. Best candidate as yet is squeezebox touch, or receiver+iphone/ ipod. Any other suggestions?

Please suggest, not necessarily in the above category.

Ipod dock from CA? You can get it for cheap there. Maybe a pair of small bookshelves like qa 1010 i for 50 gbp.

How about Beresford caiman?. No customs issues and you can be assured that
you would get the item you ordered instead of empty packet or tea bags :)

I am looking for a good bedside source. Best candidate as yet is squeezebox touch. Any other suggestions?

If you've got a mini hifi setup in the bedroom, then the Touch or Duet are strong candidates to be considered, really cheap in UK; you could be among the lucky few who will own the Touch in India, then.

Another product that's worth bringing from UK is the Arcam rDAC.

:)

Funnily enough, the Duet was what came back with me from my last trip to UK.

Depending on whether or not your friend actually likes wandering around shops, you might find a packet of microfibre cloths useful. Whilst there is a difference in quality between the expensive stuff from big stores and the cheap stuff at the 99p shop, even the cheap stuff cleans better than a rag. Gets the dust out of corners of your gadgets and makes them look new!

thanks everyone. For bedside setup, I prefer headphones. So duet receiver + touch is what I think will make a lot of sense. He is not an audiophile, and he may not carry anything beyond a few kgs. Had he been an audiophile, I would have asked him to do some auditions, and may be pick some stuff from ebay.
Onkyo NS-D1 dock is also on my watch list. Do you guys think arcam rDAC is going to be a good investment?
I was also thinking of some all-in-one source (no built in amp, just cdp+radio+cassette) kind of deal.

I don't know about the latest Squeezebox lineup (Touch etc) but if you are interested in the Duet then you should be aware that the controller (which is the ridiculously expensive bit of the kit!) has a headphone socket.

Strangely, it takes a small software hack to make it work, but work it does, and I've taken mine to bed once or twice on a sick day or a sleepless night.

The hack is easy. The controller is actually a linux box and you can login to it.

"What Should I Buy from UK?"

Prmissible quantity of good Single Malt ( 2 Bottles per Perso I think!~)

"What Should I Buy from UK?"

Prmissible quantity of good Single Malt ( 2 Bottles per Perso I think!~)

hemant , you stole my thoughts (inception) ...:clapping: was actually searching what is the best single malt available in UK...... :eek:hyeah:

Kittu

check the rules too ..i think you have to buy the liquor from Duty Free Right?
BTW Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie are very good. But there is always scope for exploration!

Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie ....... both are very good ones.

There are more options like Laphroaig which are very good. If you are into more exotic stuff try the japanese single malts, they are also very good.

I too am planning to be in the UK in 1st week of Oct. Any other AV store thats worthwhile? Places you can demo good speakers for ex.

I have tried the usual oxford street stores and there is nothing worth mentioning. Richer sounds is typically a mass outlet where there is just enough place for you to enter the shop and no demo room of any sort but extremely good prices. HMV is nice but worth it only for offbeat collections, std. stuff is cheaper on amazon. Harrods is good for gawking as the cheapest speakers they have is 3000 gbp.

I am looking for multi speaker showrooms typically close to central london.

Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie ....... both are very good ones.
Actually both blends, but still good.

Before I gave it all up, I used to buy Irish: much smoother and easy to drink, and much better than Scotch at the same price. All a matter of personal taste, mine, these days, being chai :)

You don't have to buy your booze at duty free, but duty on alcohol and tobacco in UK is very high, so best to. Big choice at Heathrow. Perfumes for the ladies, too.

I too got Glenfiddich (wow it was almost a decade back) from the heathrow. I didn't have money to buy hi-fi back then.
My friend has got one apple tv 160gb. Also planning to get an ipod touch 32gb. Instead of the wadia transport, I may get onkyo - but more than that I would need a dac.
May also get a good headphone amp to drive voltage and current hungry headphones

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back