What should I choose

Nitendra

What should I choose ? please help me decide.

I've got very old bookshelf speakers set from sony music system model MHC GR66 (it's 1998 model, please see specifications of this system and speakers) this thing was amazing.:yahoo:
but
system is dead as of now but speakers still with me, so I just want to drive these speakers.
Should I buy stereo receiver or should I buy 5.1 or 5.2 av receiver ?
If I buy 5.1 av receiver & use these speakers in stereo mode will these speakers sound the same as with that sony system or do I need an additional active subwoofer ?
I am looking just to drive these speakers with 5.1 av receiver like Pioneer VSX 831 or Denon AVR x520BT
I won't be using other rich AV features of an av receiver (so why spend on avr?) but av receiver has it's own advantages like may be in future I can buy a 5.1 home theatre speaker set.

My 2 main requirements:
1. to drive these bookshelf speakers (as of now)
2. to use 150 to 600 ohm high quality headphones.

other question is does headphone sounds good on an av receiver ?
I've home theater SOny DAV DZ570 (it can't drive even my 70 OHm headphones to my expectations)
but honestly I've never used av receiver, if av receiver can drive 150-600 ohm headphones ?& quality?
If av receiver can drive those bookshelf speaker & 300 OHm headphones
then I'll surely go with it
so very much confused.

I've 2 more options for using headphones.
1. Buy headphone amp like Fiio A5 or Q1
2. Buy ASUS essence STX II Pcie sound card
& drop my idea for those speakers.

Lastly if an avr then which one ?
1. DENON AVR x520BT
2. Yamaha HTR 3067
3. Pioneer Vsx 330
4. PIoneer VSx 831
or any other you recommend as per my requirements

I'll be connecting this system to my DEsktop PC.
I play music more than movies, specially .flac stereo files and some other lossless wav files.
My budget is 30-35K
what should I buy now ?
:lol:

Hi

A very big post indeed....

Based on your speaker specifications, you need to match the correct AVR or stereo amp....it will sound the same or even better...not worst for sure unless you pair it with a low powered source.

If you are going to primarily use the speakers most of the time as stereo, you are better off with a stereo amp....(look at NAD/Marantz/Denon)...some of the models come with in built DAC...(digital connectivity).

AVR ...is good, helps as a media hub to connect a variety of sources through various connectivity options...

I would suggest you audition the models you mentioned and also a few other brands...you will be surprised at each ones performance...

Headphones work just fine....there are also special headphone amps available if your use is more specific....

Since you are the end use, you need to decide for yourself what suits your requirements in terms of budget, appearance, performance, connectivity and features....

Lots of competition as many brands have varieties....audition and decide...see some online reviews...read posts under What should i buy....there are also dedicated threads for brands...marantz, yamaha, taga etc....

All the best...

Thanks for a quick reply, but I can't audition myself no showrooms here, I am 70-80Kms away from New Delhi.
Which brand sounds better in stereo mode I don't know. reviews are confusing
some says Pioneer, some denon others Yamaha.
anyhow
I've selected Pioneer vsx 831. & it's more than sufficient for my use.

just wondering if It's powerful enough for my speakers I can buy lower variant i.e. Pioneer Vsx 330

Hi

The VSX 830 is a decent mid segment model from Pioneer, with the auto calibration, it will adjust the levels of the speakers including equalisation.....so you dont really need to worry there...

Note that all such auto calibration only considers distances from each speaker and its structure.....it does not consider furniture or sound proofing of your room...you may sometimes end up doing manual adjustments in terms of levels etc...

Please read the operations manual page by page carefully if you need to manually adjust something

One more noob question.

As per pioneer VSx 831 specs:
it's 130 W/ch (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 1.0 %, 1ch Driven) (I think it's IEC power rating)

It's 1ch driven rating
whereas
MY old sony system was rms 85W+85W (6 ohms, 1 kHz, THD 10 %)

don't know much about all watts, ohms etc
so just asking is it all compatible ?

Also let me know the compatibility with this model Pioneer vsx 330 it's 105 W/ch (6 ohms 1 kHz THD 1.0 % 1ch Driven)
so may be I can save Rs. 10k

Thanks

Last edited:
Ignore all the the theory. Its mostly of no use. Just make sure the impedance rating, 6, 8, etc ohms is matching.

If you want to see power ratings, look at the spec that mentions 20-20k hz frequency range at 8ohms, 2 channel driven. It will be mentioned in small letters in the manual.

Also, if your primary requirement is music, then I would suggest you go in for a stereo amp along with a USB dac/sound card. That will give you better performance than a receiver.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3 using Tapatalk

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back