What to do with my old sony music system?

vivek.saikia

Hi All,

I have an old Sony music system which has a non functional CD player and some haunted buttons, i.e, when you press the tuner button some other function gets activated randomly. Although the amp section of the system is working fine.
I am just pondering on the ways by which I can somehow reuse the components in it. An option is to use the amp as subwoofer amp in bridged mode and drive a subwoofer through it. For that a low pass filter needs to be introduced with a cutoff freq of about 60Hz-80Hz.
I would like to know from the DIY experts here if there is some technician in Mumbai who can take up this job of introducing a LPF in the input signal path?
Even if the sound output doesn't matches that of the audiophile quality subwoofers, I am in for this DIY project just for some DIY fun.
Please guide me how this can be achieved, with any pointers to a knowledgeable technician in Mumbai.

Thanks
Vivek

Just got rid of my Sony GC 330 for a glorious 120 Rs, by weight.

The CD stopped working, the cassette deck long back. The power supply whirs now and the wife served an ultimatum.

Recovered a rupee for every 100 i spent on it 12 years back. Better than markets these days.

Just got rid of my Sony GC 330 for a glorious 120 Rs, by weight.

The CD stopped working, the cassette deck long back. The power supply whirs now and the wife served an ultimatum.

Recovered a rupee for every 100 i spent on it 12 years back. Better than markets these days.

But it still has that massive tranny and the power amplifier IC inside so the DIY inside me is getting restless to make something out of it. :)

It cannt be used in bridged mode as it was not designed to be used that way.
Also I feel its no use making it a sub amp.
Best is to save the eq - settings so you dont have to fiddle with the buttons again and again. Connect a DVD player and used it as a secondary system for casual listening or for listening FM. I have a SONY FH-G80 which was purchased in 1995. The CDP is damn good but it conks off every few months. As my dad is not particular about SQ it is serving him quiet well.
If you dont need a second system I would also advice you what Ram has advised

hello all
i also have a old sony system . now my question is can i connect external amplifier to it , will it improve sound output . i want to connect it to my lcd as the sound output from the tv is not good enough.

hello all
i also have a old sony system . now my question is can i connect external amplifier to it , will it improve sound output . i want to connect it to my lcd as the sound output from the tv is not good enough.

You can connect your whole sony system with the LINE/AUX in to the LCD TV.
How can you connect a amp to another amp?

thanks
i know that , i wanted to know that if i can connect the speaker out connection to external amplifier . and will it improve the sound output.

Vivek,
An old system that is about to be thrown is really a delight for the DIYer. One option is to use the amp section if it is working well. Check if the amp has RCA input sockets. If it has, you could use it as a sub amp, depending on the wattage.
If you are not really up to using it again, it is a delight to rip it apart. You could remove the components and store them away for future use. Most useful would be transports, expensive ICs, transistors, switches, LED/ LCD displays and of course transformers. The case could also be used for some future project.
It is not very complicated to open up the case and look around. I am sure you have a soldering iron and desoldering wick/ pump. Just have some fun, you will also learn a lot. Cheers,
Vivek

Vivek,
An old system that is about to be thrown is really a delight for the DIYer. One option is to use the amp section if it is working well. Check if the amp has RCA input sockets. If it has, you could use it as a sub amp, depending on the wattage.
If you are not really up to using it again, it is a delight to rip it apart. You could remove the components and store them away for future use. Most useful would be transports, expensive ICs, transistors, switches, LED/ LCD displays and of course transformers. The case could also be used for some future project.
It is not very complicated to open up the case and look around. I am sure you have a soldering iron and desoldering wick/ pump. Just have some fun, you will also learn a lot. Cheers,
Vivek
Hi Vivek,
I have already ripped apart the player and had a look inside. The tranny is quite large and seems like a heavy duty one so it can be used in some DIY project. The amp section is absolutely fine. It's another thing that I hate the overall sound output from this player. Though the bass is quite heavy. So, using it as a sub amp is quite an apparant option. Though the circuit needs to be modified to add an LPF at the input signal stage.
I have'nt touched my soldering Iron for years after my engineering days. So going back to soldering phase is quite cumbersome for me now, hence searching for some good technician or hobbyist who can modify it. :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back