What's the big deal in HDMI Pass through

I agree, i thought if i'll post stuff like "It is good because we don't need to keep the AVR on while watching TV" i would sound like someone who doesn't want to use the AVR while watching TV = why did he buy the AVR etc in the first place? I realize that not every time will everyone keep the AVR on to watch TV as some people don't like vroom/boom boom so HDMI pass through is definitely a good feature specially if avr is connected to to watch broadcast tv.
No. There are a lot of advantages. First, you don't have to switch on AVR and that saves power. Second, it is not just saving cables. Even if you had extra cables how would you connect with limited set of hdmi ports? Third, less cables means less clutter.

When you connect hdmi and optical/coaxial to AVR, hdmi is given preference. You can change this preference in the avr settings. AVR won't automatically select HDMI for DTS-HD and optical for DTS. It uses the port from which it is getting audio. For example, I have connected my htpc hdmi out to avr and the coaxial port to my stb. When both htpc and stb are sending audio signal, HTPC audio is selected.

I have now removed the Coaxial cable and using only the HDMI cable.

But I have the following problem:

When I play any Ayngaran BD disc, when the start up screen comes my Denon X2000 shows FS 96 and then DTS HD MA, but while the movie starts it shows only DTS through out the Movie and not DTS HD MA. Is there any setting which I need to trun on in my Panasonic Blu ray player BDT 220 or my Denon to get the DTS HD while watching the movie?

The Bluray discs setup also have only information on subtitle.

Press the "audio" button on the denon remote. It should show you the audio resolution.
Bluray is a format alone. It is not necessary that audio mastering of the movie is dolby TruHD or Dts MA hd.
It could be plain dts.
Video may be 1080p which requires lot of storage capacity, so a BD was used.

Press the "audio" button on the denon remote. It should show you the audio resolution.
Bluray is a format alone. It is not necessary that audio mastering of the movie is dolby TruHD or Dts MA hd.
It could be plain dts.
Video may be 1080p which requires lot of storage capacity, so a BD was used.

Thanks Dirac,

The Audio info printed on the Disc is DTS-HD MA 5.1, but when I press the Audio or the Info button it shows DTS and not DTS-HD.

When I connect my set top box and use the AC3 option it shows Dolby digital. So I am not sure if there is some setting in the Disc or the player that needs to be changed.

I have also tried Soodhu Kaavum Blu ray Ayngaran Disc which contains an Audio Option and when I select:

DTS-HD - Denon AVR shows DTS
LPCM- It shown Multi IN

When I play my "Dark Knight" bluray , by default Dolby digital is played.
I need to go to the settings of the BD and change it to Dolby truhd.
Similarly there could be some settings on the BD itself in your case.

When I play my "Dark Knight" bluray , by default Dolby digital is played.
I need to go to the settings of the BD and change it to Dolby truhd.
Similarly there could be some settings on the BD itself in your case.

I have tried different settings and even tried different discs both BD's and DVD's, I have also infact called Profx people and got a very blunt reply stating that the recording on the Original Ayngaran discs may be a problem:annoyed:

Then was lucky enough to find the below forum post

http://www.hifivision.com/amplifiers/32255-denon-avr-2113-dts-hd-question-2.html

and after ejecting the disc from the player, got the option in my Panasonic player to set the Audio to Bit stream and also turned off the Secondary audio option now the AVR displays DTS-HD MA :yahoo:when playing the movie.

Thanks...narenkum.

I had the same issue in Sony BDP S5100, on denon reciever it used to show as "Multi IN" i had to disable the bdp internal DTS Neo6 to "OFF" by default it's set to Cinema. Now i get "DTS-HD MasterAudio" on the Denon Reciever. There is no Digital cable connected to reciever only HDMI is used...

i believe DTS HD MA and Dobly True HD is possible only through HDMI and not through Digital Out cable....in a way for me it sounds wierd as i thought dedicated Audio cable Coax/Fibre cable would carry more Audio bandwidth than the "HighSpeed with Ethernet" HDMI Cable which also has HD Video.

Checked the specs of Sony BDP S5100 Only Dolby Digital and DTS is supported through digital out, of course this goes inline to the comments by venkatcr on the first page.

Last edited:
i believe DTS HD MA and Dobly True HD is possible only through HDMI and not through Digital Out cable....in a way for me it sounds wierd as i thought dedicated Audio cable Coax/Fibre cable would carry more Audio bandwidth than the "HighSpeed with Ethernet" HDMI Cable which also has HD Video.

DTS-HDMA and Dolby TruHD and multichannel lpcm are supported only on HDMI. Optical/Coaxial doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to support the hd audio.

DTS-HDMA and Dolby TruHD and multichannel lpcm are supported only on HDMI. Optical/Coaxial doesn't have the necessary bandwidth to support the hd audio.

Exactly my point isnt it wierd ? the worlds Internet bandwidth goes on Fibre cables, it's rather difficult for me to believe that HDMI "Copper" Cables can carry more bandwidth than the fibre cable ones.

Basically the issue is much more than "optical cable is able to carry high bandwidth". The audio signal is first (frequency) modulated to be carried over light (optical) or electric (coaxial digital). In the days gone by, the 3 MHz bandwidth was sufficient for 5.1 channel compressed audio.

HDMI cable was developed for video+audio. The industry developed the HDMI standard to carry much higher bandwidth. HDMI eliminated the need for separate audio and video cables and hence it became the standard.

Basically the issue is much more than "optical cable is able to carry high bandwidth". The audio signal is first (frequency) modulated to be carried over light (optical) or electric (coaxial digital). In the days gone by, the 3 MHz bandwidth was sufficient for 5.1 channel compressed audio.

HDMI cable was developed for video+audio. The industry developed the HDMI standard to carry much higher bandwidth. HDMI eliminated the need for separate audio and video cables and hence it became the standard.

The only reason I prefer the optical cable is because I can take audio without using ARC.. Because once tat is enabled it connects to samsung anynet + and shows an osd on volume up and down.. Already airtel does a good job of covering up half the screen.. And I don't want one more..

Exactly my point isnt it wierd ? the worlds Internet bandwidth goes on Fibre cables, it's rather difficult for me to believe that HDMI "Copper" Cables can carry more bandwidth than the fibre cable ones.

I think its not about the physical properties of the cable. Its the limitation of the protocol that it is used for audio transfer.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back