Where and What and How to Buy in North America ?

naj

Hi!!

I am moving to the US.
I am more than happy living in Pune and earn substantially more than the current offer.Thanks to my Ma and Pa who have spent an fortune to educate me.But this is something that I am doing for myself!!

Unfortunately I need to leave my current setup of Marantz , Polks and WD behind?Total cost - touching 150k.

As an audiophile , I am at crossroads now :sad:

What should I buy in the US?Where?And how?

The prices that I have seen on the websites tend to be more than what is being offered in India?

What I am looking at is ingenious designers and research labs on the lines of Cadence who deliver excellent products .

I would like to make this thread an ready reckoner for the benefit of every one.

What I need-

AVR- 3D capability
Towers
Sub for the Bass.

Budget- 3k initially.
I would like to Buy piece by piece . Will wait till my wallet are flush with the greens.

All Gurus and experts Please guide me .

Cheers!!

Last edited:
A place like US would spoil you with choices...

I would suggest you go there and settle down first. You can slowly start exploring the local hifi scene and then pick and choose. Apart from the usual online suspects, you'd even find transaction on audiogon and ebay going your way...take it slow and easy...

Hi,

Mentioning Cadence and AVR in the same breath seems to reek of irreverence.

Regards.

I do agree with you.

But Then one needs two different setups dosn't he? A stereo and a a HT. Thats a lot of cash . So The best middle path is AVR I guess.One needs to draw a line between throwing cash and enjoying it.

@ anm Ofcourse . They already have visitors visa .Isnt it great!!

Last edited:
Naj,

Having separate set ups for music and home theatre may be not only more satisfying but also more economical in the long run. Give it serious thought. One system may prove to be too much of a compromise, neither fish nor fowl, with music quality being the worst sufferer.

In the US, you will have the opportunity of buying quality, little used gear at reasonable to low prices. Used equipment can be great value for money. Give it a thought.

All the best for your stay in the US. May you all have a great time.

Naj,
Buying high quality hi end audio gears in USA is involving and a part of fun of the hobby.
I find AudiogoN high-end Audio for sale, high end HiFi classifieds, audiophile auctions, audio forums site very useful and infect best place to buy good slightly used gears at greatly discounted prices. Also I find so far safe to buy from. Their forums are great to be part of.
Good luck!

Hi!!

Thanks @Radni14. The website is great. Lot of info on it. Also there is a directory of local labs which is exactly what I am looking for !!

Jolida Tube amps- Has any one heard them ? Any advice regarding the same.

Pardon my ignorance - how reliable are these tube amps. We had a valve type spool tape recorder in the family . Make Grundig, 1964. We struggled till 2001 to get it working and eventually had to scrap it.

Cheers!!

Both sell new amps as well, ask if they offer models with transformers that can be wired for 220V, and it is good to get the circuit diagrams (from a service pov)upfront since you can trouble shoot easily later on in India if you have this with you. Getting ti later on may be a problem.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back