Which 5.1 satellite speakers should i buy for Yamaha RX-485?

Sanchitpkl

Hi HiFi Vision forum expert members,

I need your help in building a Home Theatre for my living room (18 x 14 ft). I have bought a new LG 65" UHD LED, and not impressed with its sound quality (for obvious reasons) and hence, want to invest in a 5.1 HT.

After doing some research with local dealers and online forums, I have decided to buy Yamaha RX-485 model (Not 3072 because I've heard some relatively inferior build quality in comparison to Yamaha RX series; and not RX-585 because 7.2 channel is not my requirement for atleast next 4-5 years). Still, if someone feels I should change my decision at the model/brand level, please feel free to suggest.

Next bigger question is the 5.1 speaker set. I have auditioned Yamaha NSP-41, Polk Audio TL1600, Elac Cinema 5 (Local Dealer had only these speaker set which were in my budget range) and I found Elac Cinema 5 to be better out of these 3.

But, I am not sure if really Elac Cinema 5 is the only option I have which fulfills my below requirements. Hence, need suggestions from the experts on the best 5.1 speaker set which fulfills my needs and won't need an upgrade for alteast next 2-3 years.

Requirements:
1. Due to space constraints, I don't need Bookshelfs, only Wall-mountable Satellite speaker set
2. Usage would be 50:50 with Music and Movies
3. Budget - 40-60K (Can be pushed to 75K if there's a really better option available)

if someone feels I should change my decision at the model/brand level, please feel free to suggest.

You can always get the a future proof AVR.. But if that is limited by the budget, then fine to settle for 5.1 AVR..

Next bigger question is the 5.1 speaker set. I have auditioned Yamaha NSP-41, Polk Audio TL1600, Elac Cinema 5 (Local Dealer had only these speaker set which were in my budget range) and I found Elac Cinema 5 to be better out of these 3.

Usually 5.1 speaker package, don't have powerful subwoofer. So that is a compromise with 5.1 speaker packages..

But, I am not sure if really Elac Cinema 5 is the only option I have which fulfills my below requirements. Hence, need suggestions from the experts on the best 5.1 speaker set which fulfills my needs and won't need an upgrade for alteast next 2-3 years.

A 5.0 speaker package from Taga TAV series ( with Floor standers) would be apt fit and better than the 5.1 packages.. But you seem to prefer wall mounted speakers..

Try to get a 5.0 speaker package and buy a good subwoofer of your choice. Speakers and sub need not be from same brand
For e.g you can consider Sonodyne Genie1 speakers 5 qty as 5.0 set and buy Taga subwoofer.
If you want to stick to 5.1 packages, you can also evaluate monoprice 5.1 speaker packages.

You can have a look at the following speaker package. Is well regarded by both experts and users. Will be more powerful and richer than Elac 5 or TL1600.

As a second thought, you can go for an used AVR for now and opt for an upgrade 3-4 year later. It's always wiser not to compromise on the quality of the LCR speakers - spend most of your budget there. I'd suggest that you go for a good LCR and get a pair of surrounds 6-8 months later. Because, with the kind of budget you have, you can surely get something better than an HTIB.

There are 2 threads you've created with 2 different budgets? I am referring to your post

you can consider @Barun7 suggestion of Wharfedale dx-2

I’ve also been considering a 7.2 channel AC Receiver instead of a 5.1 to be future proof.

Please suggest which one to go for?

Local dealer suggested me Yamaha RX-V585 or Marantz NR1609 and offering almost similar price for both. I’m confused. Please help.

You can have a look at the following speaker package. Is well regarded by both experts and users. Will be more powerful and richer than Elac 5 or TL1600.

As a second thought, you can go for an used AVR for now and opt for an upgrade 3-4 year later. It's always wiser not to compromise on the quality of the LCR speakers - spend most of your budget there. I'd suggest that you go for a good LCR and get a pair of surrounds 6-8 months later. Because, with the kind of budget you have, you can surely get something better than an HTIB.

Thanks for your suggestion Barun.
1. Please suggest some decent options of LCR speakers.
2. I checked with the local dealers but no one has Wharfedale speakers so I’m not able to audition them here.
3. I’m getting a 2-3 months old packed Elac Cinema 5 set for around 25k. Should I go for it? How’s the audio quality, durability of these speakers?

Thanks for your suggestion Barun.
1. Please suggest some decent options of LCR speakers.
2. I checked with the local dealers but no one has Wharfedale speakers so I’m not able to audition them here.
3. I’m getting a 2-3 months old packed Elac Cinema 5 set for around 25k. Should I go for it? How’s the audio quality, durability of these speakers?

Consider JBL Stage A120. It should be a well balanced, neutral speaker. Build up your system as you go. Get 2.0 first or 3.0. Then add surrounds. Then heights if you want. The speaker I mentioned is the replacement of Arena series, and Arena 120 had the vote of none other than Floyd Toole as a speaker that can, with a subwoofer, go toe to toe with really expensive speakers and come out well, at least within its limits when it comes to max SPL.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back