Which amp? 200watts minimum

Bluu

Please suggest an amplifier (integrated or power) which puts out minimum 200w, is within 1L (approx) and is available for audition in Bangalore.
Thanks!

Not to sound too snobbish but it seems like the Emotiva is too cheap for all that power. Anyone have any experience with this amplifier? If yes, please post associated equipment.

A well-made power amp putting out 200 watts per channel from a mainstream brand amp maker and available under a lakh is unheard of. You will get muscle amps though.

Try not to be so obsessed with the numbers. A well-made 150 watt amp which is stable into low impedances with generously designed power supplies is all that is required for most applications.

The odyssey extreme is a good example of such an amp.

But to do justice to this amp, those mission speakers have to go ;)

Good point about the budget. Suggest something even higher then. The amp under question is not for the Missions!

200w output , do you live inside palace grounds ? :rolleyes: .

Btw , you seem to have some speakers in mind , what are they ? :)

Look for a pre-owned Bryston 3 BSST.

Its the cleanest sound you'll get. The MRP for a new one was 1.8L. you should get a 2-3 year old one for about 1.10. It'll cost you a lot less if its older. This comes with a transferrable guarantee for a total of 20 yrs! So, even if it is 3 years old, you're covered for 17-18 years.

the bryston 3 BSST is a conservatively rated 150 wpc, and it pushed my hard to drive Thiel Cs 2.4's - EFFORTLESSLY. Believe me, as far as monster speakers go, those were scary!

Alternatively there is a seller in Delhi who is selling his very highly Modded quad 909. its is 150 wpc. I have heard it and it sounds better than the factory fresh ones.

+1 to Malvai. The Bryston's give you clean power and can drive any speakers effortlessly, unless you are looking for speakers from Dynaudio, I listened to Bryston with the Dynaudio Audience 72 and was not happy with the sound.
Decide the speakers first and then look for the amp.

regards

I have the Odyssey Stratos Extreme with Glass Ceiling upgrades. It will do about 180W of power into 8 ohms. Typically, any recommendation for a 200W amp is not so much for power but for stability and control at lower impedances which the Odyssey excels at. Here is a copy/paste from 6moons
------
Specifications: Klaus is not all that keen on pushing power output as a key specification (sort of like Rolls Royce stating that the motor of your Phantom V had adequate horsepower). He believes instead that goose bumps are a more useful criterion for evaluating product performance. However, for those who must know he points out that the nominal power output is 175 watts RMS into 8 ohms, 320 watts into 4 ohms and roughly 600 watts into 2 ohms. Hobbyists report that the Odyssey amps are not only stable into 1 ohm but also that the power output easily reaches 1KW into that impedance. The DIY crowd also prefers these specific Sanken transistors as they can deliver in home-built designs a staggering 1000 watts into 8 ohms or 2000 watts into 4
------

The combined current and power is certainly helpful for driving speakers with unusual impedance curves such as the Wilson Audio Specialties Sasha W/P, which dips to 1.8? in the bass; or the electrostatic Martin Logan CLS that goes below 1? at the opposite extreme, the high treble. Continuous damping factor is rather high and over 800, suggesting that the amplifier output impedance is negligible at a nominal 8? speaker impedance.
--------
The Odyssey amps are based on Symphonic Line designs (licensed), we have the Symphonic Line amps as well for a listen if you like :D Considering what they do and the league they compete in, they are very very reasonably priced.

cheers
Sridhar

If you want a new piece Anthem 225 comes to mind. That's an integrated that sells in India for approx 1.1L. Great sound - paired with the right speakers it was amazing.

In Power amps the Parasound A21 and Cambridge Audio 840W come to mind - but listen and decide, not everyone likes these, need to be paired right.

Those are the amps I am aware of that push over 200W and retail in India new for around 1L.

If you go for used, or buy from abroad then your options increase more, just tread with caution and check plenty times.

~my two cents

Good point about the budget. Suggest something even higher then. The amp under question is not for the Missions!

If buying new, go for the Odyssey Stratos Extreme with Glass Ceiling.

I am not a fan of the bryston sound, so cannot comment.

My suggestion for used amps are electrocompaniet, Plinius, Mark levinsons, symphonic line....

If buying new, go for the Odyssey Stratos Extreme with Glass Ceiling.

I am not a fan of the bryston sound, so cannot comment.

My suggestion for used amps are electrocompaniet, Plinius, Mark levinsons, symphonic line....[/I]

None of the 200 wpc amps from these manufacturers would be under 1L (even used).... especially the ones that are underlined....

and if price was not a limit I would have added a used Krell FPB 200 to the list....

Thanks for all the useful suggestions!

The new speakers are going to be the Usher Mini Dancer Be-718s. I can always pop in to Sridhar's to listen to the SLs and Odyssey products paired to the Ushers. CA is also available. Any place I can hear the Brystons?

RoC has the same speakers so it is easy to audition the amps even before I buy the speakers. Also, his listening room is almost exactly the same size as mine.

Also, just to be clear - I understand that it's not just the number of watts but also the quality of those watts that matters. It's just that I've learned from various sources that the Be 718s like a lot of good, clean power and control. I also understand that this comes at a price, which is why I wanted to mention a budget.

Sridhar - Do you have the Stratos Extreme with GC as of today? If yes, I'd much rather we spend time with that than the Jatons when I do come down in a week or so.

Also, anyone have anything to say about the Musical Fidelity M6i?

200 Watt for Home Application is no joke boy.........What is your Speaker ? You need a very large room volume to drive those amps in full power........

Yes, the Stratos Extreme with GC is available with us and so is a Khartago - so that you can compare if you like. You can compare with the Jatons as well, nothing to lose, the Jatons sound different, it will come down to preference in one way

cheers

Thanks for all the useful suggestions!

The new speakers are going to be the Usher Mini Dancer Be-718s. I can always pop in to Sridhar's to listen to the SLs and Odyssey products paired to the Ushers. CA is also available. Any place I can hear the Brystons?

RoC has the same speakers so it is easy to audition the amps even before I buy the speakers. Also, his listening room is almost exactly the same size as mine.

Also, just to be clear - I understand that it's not just the number of watts but also the quality of those watts that matters. It's just that I've learned from various sources that the Be 718s like a lot of good, clean power and control. I also understand that this comes at a price, which is why I wanted to mention a budget.

Sridhar - Do you have the Stratos Extreme with GC as of today? If yes, I'd much rather we spend time with that than the Jatons when I do come down in a week or so.

Also, anyone have anything to say about the Musical Fidelity M6i?

Sorry, may not be a direct answer for your question, see whether you can get used power amp. I recommend Aragon 8008.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back