Which is a better Plasma TV Panasonic 50U20 or Samsung 51D550

gurgopal

Hi ,
Which is a better Plasma TV in the budget range of Rs 60 to 75k from picture quality point of view? Samsung 51 D550 is 51 inch screen having 3D features while Panasonic 50U20 is 50 inches screen without 3D. Samsung costs Rs 70k while Panasonic costs Rs 62k. Both are full HD (1080p). Samsung besides 3D also offers USB port which can play mkv files. USB port is not inportant to me because I use Seagate Theatre plus which can play all file formats. My only concern is which TV can offer best picture quality and which is more durable. Alternatively can anyone suggest me any other brand having 50 inch screen in the price range of Rs 60k to 75k?
Waiting fo an early response. Thanks

The U series does not support Video 1080p. Check in specifications and it supports on 900 lines in video as compared to 1080. Buy the sammy. Its a better deal overall

The U series does not support Video 1080p. Check in specifications and it supports on 900 lines in video as compared to 1080. Buy the sammy. Its a better deal overall

Please do not confuse the user by dishing out wrong information. You are reading too much into the moving lines resolution (MPR). It is published at 900 lines for Panasonic 50U20D. But what about Samsung model? It is not published at all! Does this mean than Samsung is giving full 1080 lines MPR?

Read the following article. CNET is inconclusive on MPR:

Counting blurry lines: Should CNET test for motion resolution on HDTVs? | Crave - CNET

Secondly, if a TV is giving 900 line MPR does not mean that it is not full HD. Many LCDs and LEDs do not come close to 900 MPR.

LED Moving lines of resolution? - Blu-ray Forum
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1066429

A human eye is unable to distinguish these fine differences. One should only trust one own eyes. Now the problem is that it will be almost impossible to compare the Panasonic and Samsung side by side as you are unlikely to find them at the same dealer.

The Samsung 51D550 is a very new model. I am yet to find a live demo of the piece. It is costlier than the Panasonic 50U20D but has 3D feature. Samsung's black levels, contrast ratio, screen reflectivity, etc. are unknown at this point. It may be better than the Panasonic model but it is better to wait and check for yourself before taking the plunge. After all 65~70K is not an amount to be trifled with.

Thanks for the reply. I would appreciate if you could give me more inputs on picture quality (I watch movies more) as soon as you get a chance to view these tvs. The specifications of Samsung 51D550 are more or less same similar to their earlier model PS50C550. Yes you are very right, samsung is silent about dynamic contrast ratio in their model 51D550.

If I were you, I would rather wait and demo the Samsung piece before making a decision. After all what is another 2-3 weeks wait?

Hi ,
Which is a better Plasma TV in the budget range of Rs 60 to 75k from picture quality point of view? Samsung 51 D550 is 51 inch screen having 3D features while Panasonic 50U20 is 50 inches screen without 3D. Samsung costs Rs 70k while Panasonic costs Rs 62k. Both are full HD (1080p). Samsung besides 3D also offers USB port which can play mkv files. USB port is not inportant to me because I use Seagate Theatre plus which can play all file formats. My only concern is which TV can offer best picture quality and which is more durable. Alternatively can anyone suggest me any other brand having 50 inch screen in the price range of Rs 60k to 75k?
Waiting fo an early response. Thanks

Hi, I am a new member and just came across your thread. Just curious to know which TV did you finally select?

As of date there are a no. of plasma panels. Do keep a horizon of around 3 years as the technology will change very fast and these all will be outdated in around three to four years.

In my opinion you should get a 3D TV now to enjoy the breathtaking 3D and do not spend too much as these will need to be replaced in around 4-5 years.

I would recommend Samsung /LG / Panasonic plasmas with 3D right now. Considering the price aspect as well as the asthetics Samsung and LG outscore the Panasonics. Well check out the TVs with yur own eyes before you decide.

vikas varma panasonic plasma p42u30d

Hi , I am Vikas Varma and I liked your post. I also have panasonic p42u30d, full hd but 900 moving lines . I do not know the complete meaning of this specification but my plasma is really awsome specially with the dvd and bluray and hd channels. sd channels are also fine as I have set it up properly. If you have any information about the settings of plasma, I would like to know and appreciate that.

regards
Vikas Varma

Any Day if its Plasma means its Panasonic...There are the Masters of Plasma's, When all other turned back and started making LCD's and LED..They still Focused on Plasmas...now other are trying to make more plasmas...well Panasonics Does produces natural Colors and deeper black...

Any Day if its Plasma means its Panasonic

Oh really? i thought it plasma is one type of display technology,I could be wrong though.

...There are the Masters of Plasma's,

Again really? i thought pioneer made the best plasma's while Panasonic was suckling pioneer's teet to get their technology, i could be wrong again though.

Panasonics Does produces natural Colors and deeper black...

Oh natural colors? like 6500k accurate?

deeper black like zero back level with zero details compromise?

I am like reading so many new things from your post today, facts some reason i've never come across till now.

Last edited:
i'm very keen on looking at a Panasonic 50U20/U30 and Samsung 51D550 side by side. My buying decision is held up just because of this comparison.

Has anyone seen them side by side in any store in Delhi ?

Thanks,

Rana

i'm very keen on looking at a Panasonic 50U20/U30 and Samsung 51D550 side by side. My buying decision is held up just because of this comparison.

You should try a multi-brand brand store like chroma or reliance.

Another way is the play the same content in both the tv's the same day during evening time even if both tv's available in different places, take your own content, possibly FULL HD movie samples.

i've tried a lot of multi-brand showrooms from Croma to Next to private retailers. But it's quite ironic that i haven't been able to find these 2 models in question side by side. The funny thing is i have been able to compare the Samsung D550/D490 with Panasonic X series which is new and the also the Panasonic V series which is older.

Thing is both the Samsung D550 and Panasonic U series are 2011 models and i'm sure they are side by side in some showroom somewhere in Delhi. I wonder if people in another city have come across them side by side.

I'm also sure i'll eventually run into them side by side since they are absolutely current models but i just don't know where. Probably i should try Reliance Digital in Ambience Mall.

i did think about the idea which you mention to carry same content and try it out during the same evening but i feel it'll not be a fair assessment as there are so many variables involved as the time of the day, the position of the TV in a particular store, the type of overhead lighting in the store. Just too many factors. There's no comparison like looking at them together.

I'm not losing hope :) i'll find them side by side or somebody else will in Delhi and that'll be awesome. I'll mostly get either one of them or i'll skip both to get the 50V20D if i convince myself to up the budget to 80k.

lets see.... the LG PZ 550 is an outside contender but i can't find any reviews on it.

Last edited:
In terms of features - Samsung 51d550 seems a very good deal esp. with the hack of letting you configure deeper blacks. Has 3d and better formats support.

Panasonic in general, seems to have lesser quality issues (atleast as per the reports in this forum). It has AR filters which make it better in brighter rooms. The Samsung is quite reflective.

Samsung, has a full refund policy for 1 year, Panasonic offers a 3 yr warranty.

So choose what makes sense to you.

Has anyone seen them side by side in any store in Delhi ?

Thanks,

Rana

Hey there,
I Have seen the Pana and the Samsung side by side and ended buying the the 50U20 purely because the picture was that much clearer and better on the Panasonic. I did not care about the fact that it did not have 3D or USB port or internet (all of which seemed useless to me)

To correct a few posts here, the 50U20 IS Full HD.

The Panasonic also happens to be the only plasma tv that has an outer panel apart from the actual display panel (not sure wat its called) but apparently this prevents image burning to a large extent. When you touch the screen of the Samsung and the Panasonic you will know what im talking about. The Panasonic also happens to have better fans at the rear for better heat dissipation.
All this apart from the fact that it has better blacks and all that.

Hope this helps.

Hey there,
I Have seen the Pana and the Samsung side by side and ended buying the the 50U20 purely because the picture was that much clearer and better on the Panasonic. I did not care about the fact that it did not have 3D or USB port or internet (all of which seemed useless to me)

Can you pls let us know what was the price?

Thank You

Final price after heavy discounts was 57k (that's right, shopping during Diwali has its benefits).
The actual MRP is around 63k

Don't remember how much the Samsung was exactly but it was around 3k costlier than the Panasonic.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back