Which is better CA651a or CA SR10

argentum246

Hello Experts,
Would like to know if someone has experienced CambridgeAudio 651a with CambridgeAudio Sr10. Spec wise one is amp and other is receiver however from sound quality which one shall be good? Would like to use it for music listening only.

Thanks

Thanks RRR,
Any reasons for the same .. though on paper SR10 has all bells and whistles including sub out. How is then marantz pm6005 compared to the winner among these two?

Thanks again!

Hi,
As you mentioned the SR10 has more features such as fm radio and sub out.
So depends if you require all the extra features now or maybe in future based on your setup.
Very often we go for a particular model having extra features but don't really need or use them at all.

So purely in terms of music reproduction, the 651a would be a better choice.
It has a better selection of internal components and does not have any additional circuits interfering with the sound.
The SR10 will also be good sounding. However the 651A would be much better.

Now between the Marantz and CA, we are talking about 2 completely different sound signatures.
I haven't compared them side by side but am familiar with the sound signature of each on various occasions.
The Marantz is much more musical with a wider soundstage.
The CA is a more direct and precise sound.
Other opinions may differ.
Try and listen to them if you can to decide which sound you prefer.
Do listen to them repeatedly if possible.
Also your choice of speakers would play an important role.
Hope this helps.

Last edited:
my two cents would be to choose the speaker first and the sound you like, then choose the best amp to go with them if you are setting up hifi

The speakers I have is Jbl studio 530 which are also legendary desktop speakers and they need a really good amp to shine.

Do you have any fixed or restricted budget for the amp?
If not then you could wait for some good amps that may come around.

I have experience with the SR10 and can vouch for it. I have paired that with GoldenEar AON3 and super happy with the sound. If you stop by Chennai sometime, you can audition this at my place. I have also registered my thoughts on this SR10 here - if that helps.

I'm a stickler for 'best bang for the buck' so I view this with the price in mind. This might sound subjective - I previously owned a Marantz PM5005 (similar price) and I feel the SR10 to be superior in many ways compared to that. It's warm, yet punchy - no need to touch the tone controls and I've always left them at '0'. What's missing? The low end grunt on my GoldenEars - these brilliant speakers will require some more energy and grunt as I usually listen at low volume levels. So, what sucks is I can't add a power amp to this SR10 (no-pre out). But, I can add a sub.

I have super limited experience with the 651a - for the price difference at the time of consideration, I couldn't hear a drastic difference in sound between this and the SR10. If the difference is negligible you should go for the 651a - no frills!

Thanks FMs,
I have a budget of 20k. I am getting 651a / SR10 for 18k. Hence would like to decide which one to go. SR 10 is like a good stereo receiver and 651 is an amp. Can you hence confirm based on info above? also are there any other amps new / used I can get in this price range.
Any other brands inputs in this price range --used / old are also welcome

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back