which speakers to upgrade to?

6laz3r

i have been using Micca RB42 on my desk with yamaha rn602 for about a year and pretty happy with the way they sound for desktop use. I am looking to upgrade to better speakers now with budget ~50k (+/- some). I like the way the RB42s sound (without having to use bass/treble controls. I used to drive these with a Topping PA3 earlier and was still happy with the sound. Now i have more space to accommodate bigger speakers, not floorstanding though, still bookshelf and with similar 'sound'. 90% usage is music at low volumes and it pretty much plays throughout the day (unless i have attend a meeting). i am planning to audition Qacoustics 3030i and KEF Q350 in a day or two. was just wondering if anyone here has used RB42 and can comment on if i am looking at the right speakers or should i be adding others to check. thanks!

i am planning to audition Qacoustics 3030i and KEF Q350 in a day or two. was just wondering if anyone here has used RB42 and can comment on if i am looking at the right speakers or should i be adding others to check. thanks!
Looking forward to your listening impressions.

i have been using Micca RB42 on my desk with yamaha rn602 for about a year and pretty happy with the way they sound for desktop use. I am looking to upgrade to better speakers now with budget ~50k (+/- some). I like the way the RB42s sound (without having to use bass/treble controls. I used to drive these with a Topping PA3 earlier and was still happy with the sound. Now i have more space to accommodate bigger speakers, not floorstanding though, still bookshelf and with similar 'sound'. 90% usage is music at low volumes and it pretty much plays throughout the day (unless i have attend a meeting). i am planning to audition Qacoustics 3030i and KEF Q350 in a day or two. was just wondering if anyone here has used RB42 and can comment on if i am looking at the right speakers or should i be adding others to check. thanks!
Looking to your listening, I will suggest to experience Kali Audio LP6 or LP8, these are powered speakers. You can connect them with Topping DAC preamp. Detailing and soundstage is amazing.

auditioned both speakers today. overall i liked the KEF over 3030i. at low volumes though 3030i sound more 'consistent' (i do not know the correct terms here.. just mean that the speaker sounded similar on higher volume and lower volumes). the KEF sounds very 'diminished' at low volumes and i also had to change the way the speakers were facing. however at medium volumes, not quite background music, a bit higher, KEFs were much better whereas 3030i was 'boomy'. again both auditioned with any tone control. i am so confused. so came back and will research more. an acquaintance has unused b&w 685 S2 which i can get for a little more than 3030i but much less than Q350. more importantly i can get those to my place and test them in the in the place i intend to put these speakers. will do this tomorrow and update

Looking to your listening, I will suggest to experience Kali Audio LP6 or LP8, these are powered speakers. You can connect them with Topping DAC preamp. Detailing and soundstage is amazing.
thank you. my plan though is to move the RB42s back to PA3 and move the setup back to my desktop for purely PC usage and pair the new speakers with my existing rn602 for a system only for music.

auditioned both speakers today. overall i liked the KEF over 3030i. at low volumes though 3030i sound more 'consistent' (i do not know the correct terms here.. just mean that the speaker sounded similar on higher volume and lower volumes). the KEF sounds very 'diminished' at low volumes and i also had to change the way the speakers were facing. however at medium volumes, not quite background music, a bit higher, KEFs were much better whereas 3030i was 'boomy'. again both auditioned with any tone control. i am so confused. so came back and will research more. an acquaintance has unused b&w 685 S2 which i can get for a little more than 3030i but much less than Q350. more importantly i can get those to my place and test them in the in the place i intend to put these speakers. will do this tomorrow and update
B&W would be better choice, particularly as you can test them in your usage space.

Why not try actives instead , suggesting this as your usage is geared towards a desktop setup and I believe your listening distance would not be much? There are good options such as the Kali LP8.

If you are looking for passive bookshelf also have a look at Monitor Audio Bronze 2, Fyne Audio F500 , Elac Debut B6.2 & Qacoustics Concept 20.

so i have the b&w 685 S2 at my place for testing currently and i am really enjoying them, though for some songs i think the treble is too high and i have to tone it down a bit. also got a pair of elac b6.2 2.0 from another friend to compare. i definitely prefer b&w. i have been reading up online though and the reviews do not score b&w well.. but i am liking the way they sound. will keep listening to different songs before i make up my mind.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back