Why, How, Where and What before I start for RECORD

Sumanta

I loved sound of a tube amplifier.

I see many of my HF friends vouch for analogue sound from record.

I am in Munich and see some opportunity to get my hands on used player and records.

But, a BIG but before I jump in, I want to know WHY should I listen to record and not be happy with CDs.

And how can I get a basic set of turntable in India (provided I do not get a packagable turntable here).

Where can I read about turntables, its basics (you already now know that I am lazy).

What are the locations in India to get records?

Number 1 reason: the supposed superiority of vinyl records over more modern CDs. This is debatable and has been done to death. Both sides have put forth scientific, pseudo-scientific and outright emotional reasons for the supposed superiority of one over the other. A reasonable test - purely in my opinion - is to compare the two. They must be similarly priced to keep at least one known variable constant.

Number 2 reason: analog sounds warmer. Again, there are pros and cons to this. "Warmer" tends to be equated to heightened midrange with rolled off lows and highs. Of course not all analog systems have rolled off highs and lows.

Number 3 reason: you can get lots of titles on records that are not available on CDs. But then the reverse is also true.

It is only fair to see the other side of the story. Hence,

Number 1 Reason Not To Own Vinyl Playback: in general, turntables need proper setting up. The turntable has to be put on a level platform, free from vibrations, the tone arm has to be balanced properly, correct tracking weigth has to be applied, null points set, correct vertical tracking angle set, due care must be showered on the cartridge so they don't break accidentally, you need to choose a cartridge to match the tone arm, etc, etc. One must be ready and willing to learn the intricacies of all these and also invest in the correct tools, or be ready to compromise with some fixed system that doesn't need too much calibration (and by corollary, inferior sound).

Number 2 Reason Not To Own Vinyl Playback: records need periodic cleaning, and it is a PITA. Period.

Number 3 Reason Not To Own Vinyl Playback: good cartridges can cost a lot of money. And they are to be considered consumables as they wear and degrade.

Having said all that, there is a third side of the story which is the emotional appeal and charm that only analog can give you.

You listen and decide which side of the 'force' is strongest in you.

Hi Sumanta

Whether vinyl or cd largely depends on the kind of music you listen to. Most albums post 1990 have been recorded digitally. So it makes logical sense to hear them in the digital format. If however you are into music from pre 80s, listening to such music on analogue format makes sense.

Apart from what prem and jls have said:
Records and in general analogue is expensive affair. It is also less accessible. The only positive around analogue is sound. For some, actually many, it is not a good enough reason.

Thanks a ton to JLS001, Prem and Dr.Bass.

I need to listen it first then.

Cost is definitely the point of consideration.

And I do not want to be too critical for sound reproduction.

And I sure know that I will fall for record the moment I listen to the analogue sound. Dilemma is the name of life:rolleyes:.

What are the locations in India to get records?
In Mumbai Rethym House (new), Past Collection and Salim (?) in Fort area, and Chor Bazar (used) are good source for vinyls.
As I like vinyls it will be interesting to know unbiased 'first' impressions from you, so do update.
Regards

I have found a hi-fi shop which has various tube amps, wonderful TTs and some popular speakers (like Cabasse's eye ball). I will soon have a listenning time there. I will give my impression provided I get to listen some known songs.

....and remember, reaching for high quality analog audio with tunes and tts is an expensive affair...staying at the low or mid-end can have you ending up disappointed....I've gone through posts by FMs in the past who have set up vinyl rigs and found their CDs sounding better.

Dear Reubensm,
That's why I will listen to this combination today in one of B&W's shop.

RP1 TT with some good amplifier and Martin Logan's speakers. I have not asked for any particular amp as they know much better than me. I had asked for ML to have OB feel.
If it sounds too good to be true WRT my current set up (or with updates), I will start saving money.

If it sounds even 70% achievable with my DIY things, I will make my own speaker (Jamo clone or a hybrid one). And probably will buy Lyrita's amp if I make a simple cross over less speaker.

If the combination(s) today sound too romantic, I will sell all my system and be free......

You didn't mention freedom from what

I meant freedom from confusion. I will sell all and start fresh.

I had THE audition this evening.
It was an odd combination. Rega RP1 with Acupase class A amplifier and Martin Logan speakers.
I heard some Jazz, one of Armstrong, some songs of a lady Jazz singer whose name I forgot. But the recording on LPs were good. Trebles were thick with less presence and impact. Imaging was wonderful. Bass was like living thing. Everything was true, understated, natural.
Music was full of life, like having raw salads, juicy. I think those LPs were old records. Speakers were playing it life like. Overall the liveliness and music in its quality and presence and imaging was in one word wonderful.

BUT, there were clicking, crackling sounds of may be dust or something in between music and was quite often. I can not digest those disturbances.

I think I will not travel the hard road. Add on noisy crackling sounds, hardship of maintaining TT players and records, high maintainenance cost, high time and work to maintain records are too much for me. All the physical labour is fine for me, but the invstment for real good system is unaffordable.

I can get usable used TT player and some records here, but is tough to carry home.

Thanks to all of you for your inputs. The romantic sound of music will still be in my head, so much more as I recently visit Salzburg. Analogue rules for me too but for a very high cost.

If ever I get a cheap (per my expectation) but good TT, I will have one.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back