why i love the macbook pro

BTW you can connect itunes to aiport express via windows too..

of course. apologies for the omission. it comes with a dedicated windows set up cd. figured he'd read that on the site when checking it out with the remote guess i ought to have included this point eh? :)

in fact you can even carry the airport on the road with you and if your hotel room has a wired cable you can plug this into your airport express and with the cd set up a wireless connection for the duration of your stay.

hi stevieboy -

in time, when you have settled in with your mac - think of subscribing to mobileme service -

then you can "cloud" host your guitar compositions - and we can all enjoy them!:)

Asit,

Work imposed restrictions forced my non-participation for some time. Hopefully, the workload will reduce a bit for this month.

I agree with each point you mention below. My reason for linking the article was to highlight the fact that the Mac OS enjoys "virus-less" existence in part because virus writers are spending their attention on more mainstream OSs. Linux has now acquired its share of such malware/virus, though the headcount is much lower than Win.

I also agree (having studied the internals of the Linux system, kernel and filesystem) that it is more elegant, robust and less susceptible to attacks compared to the older Win versions. But Win 7 is quickly gaining ground, with vast development resources at MS's disposal.

I don't think the article is ill-disposed to Unix/Mac per se, and the reason it talks only about the Mac OS and not Unix in general is because the OS X is now quite a different flavour from the original Unix. The internal kernel has undergone many changes and the link to the user interface plus media tools takes it far away from Unix, with its shell prompt and X server, though the underlying mechanisms are similar. The new features in OS X introduce security vulnerabilities that were not present in the original Unix. The one security loophole I do remember from old days in Unix was the buffer overflow problem with the original 'finger' program, at the user level. I'm sure that has been patched up long ago. But I have not studied the OS X in depth, so someone on the Apple side on this forum may be better able to explain the nuances and differences.

The reason for the post was because Stevie made the point that he now does not have to worry about putting a pen drive in, for virus problems. I put a pen drive (among other objects :) ) into my Win 7 computer all the time, and haven't acquired a virus in 5 years+. Because, as you point out, I try to be a sensible user, have antivirus running and verify the source of the files I introduce into my PC. Protection against viruses depends on the user as well.

Stevie,

congratulations on the new machine. It's a very snazzy tool and will serve you well in the long run, especially if you do a lot of media editing related work.

-Ajinkya.

Ajinkya,

Welcome back. Where have you been? I have also been hardly active.

I am aware of such reports. But in any case thanks for the link.

A few comments:

In the above I have talked mostly about malwares (virus, worm etc). I did not cover hacking which is a different thing and your referred article points to. Hacking is basically getting root access to a computer so that the hacker now 'owns' the computer.

No OS and computing environment is absolutely safe. I already pointed this out in my previous post. It depends on the users.

However, a unix based system is inherently a few orders of magnitude safer than for example a MS OS. These days safety is basically ensured through network safety. One can set up rules based on the so-called IP-tables that are pretty hard or well-nigh inconceivable to break in. It hardly makes any sense to talk about security of a computer without knowling the security of the network.

Usually the router (with security rules, hw/sw implemented)is kept open to the Internet. Then your servers are placed inside with public IP numbers in a so-called DMZ (de-militarized Zone) and then the computers inside the network in a MZ. The computers placed inside the MZ basically have no security threats, basically from outside.

Now for a standalone computer, let's say at home, placed in a network provided by your home ISP, will have some of these security features already in place, but preventing the machine from hacking is not so difficult, by setting hard rules. To give you a simple example: you can set your computer so that no remote access including scp, ssh is allowed, while you can ssh and scp from your computer. Now unless somebody can get physical access to your computer, there is no way somebody is going to own your computer.

It looks to me your referred report talks about Mac computers where direct physical access was given to potential hackers. This is a very unlikely event to take place, unless your machine is first stolen.

In addition, the report does not talk about what were the security principles implemented on the machine. It just gives very vague reference to all these things.

In a unix based system (like a Mac OS or Linux), there are very clear-cut ways to stop all software communication ports, or to set rules for their use, and hence security is better organized. That does not mean you cannot get in, but it's a very difficult job if your door is well shut.

I feel a bit starnge about your link, because it keeps talking specifically about the Mac OS X and not any other unix based OS. Because apart from a few minor difference, the basic security implementations would be very similar. Without provision of more details, I'd take this sort of report with a pinch of salt (as a propaganda against the Apple). But again as I said before, security depends on the individual user. If you keep your doors open, you are likely to be robbed off more often. But in a Unix based system, you are far better off to start with.

Regards.

Is "mobileme" available in India ?

hi audio_engr,

it was .mac earlier - now it is mobileme - i am a subscriber last four years - subscription costs $90/year (IIRC)

regards

edit - on one occasion, in the last four years, i have paid INR to renew -

to subscribe - one goes to mobileme homepage - clicks on the trial button - and proceeds

and yes, once you subscribe - the entire experience becomes one seamless whole - your mail, your photos, your website, your videos, your life digital! - of course, pretty much locks you into having an iphone

Last edited:
of course. apologies for the omission. it comes with a dedicated windows set up cd. figured he'd read that on the site when checking it out with the remote guess i ought to have included this point eh? :)

in fact you can even carry the airport on the road with you and if your hotel room has a wired cable you can plug this into your airport express and with the cd set up a wireless connection for the duration of your stay.

Yup..you can use a "Clone " option so that your PC/Macs hardware address is cloned on to the AE...

Bu i think it pairs with a mac a lot more easily..pairing with a PC is a bit of a problem initially. Also there do occur some "Drops" when playing a song..especially Lossless due to some RAM limitation at iTunes

There are some Hacks available which can divert ALL sound from your soundcard to the AE too. Steve jobs (The mans a genius but he still is not "open" ) was not too happy about it and tried to have the guy closed down but it is still available i some underground sites

Last edited:
Mac OS Leopard 10.5.8

which version of mac do you have? i can do it in pages and text edit and also have options of making a sticky note from selected text, adding track to itunes as a spoken text file, emailing making a note and a couple more.

regards

hi audio_engr,

it was .mac earlier - now it is mobileme - i am a subscriber last four years - subscription costs $90/year (IIRC)

regards

edit - on one occasion, in the last four years, i have paid INR to renew -

to subscribe - one goes to mobileme homepage - clicks on the trial button - and proceeds

and yes, once you subscribe - the entire experience becomes one seamless whole - your mail, your photos, your website, your videos, your life digital! - of course, pretty much locks you into having an iphone

thanks suri,

yes had checked it out but clean forgot the exact workings. will check it out again. its there as a button in system preferences in the macbook. will have to weigh usage though, dont anticipate much right now. what exactly do you use it for?

for the guitar already created a youtube account. all set and ready :)

regards

ps: the airport express is working flawlessly as of now. enjoyed two afternoons of wireless internet radio over the weekend. one classical & solo piano and one blues. quality is quite good for an internal dac! 65 kbps and 128 kbps streams

hi audio engr,

was planning to buy that later on but a colleague who has someone working for apple in california warned him that this particular product has issues of reliability in the longer term.. so do check this out.

by the way i've got a targus case for the mac. hard exterior and soft buttons inside for cushioning. can slip the laptop in from the top or open the zip like a clamshell for working on it.
TBS019CA
15" Apple EVA Slip Case
Targus | Cases | Apple iBook, Powerbook & MacBook

regards

i'd love to use a mac for an extended period of time before i ever go in for one, because i've heard strong and convincing arguments on both sides

a) that macs are superior, have a great OS
b) that macs are way overpriced

i even know a good friend who is a graphic designer who had his mac crash on him and lose all his work. he's sworn off macs and is an ardent PC supporter. But at the same time i know a lot of Mac fans including a colleague who uses a Mac at work.

But I guess the mac - PC is very much like the tubes - SS debate, there's much to be said on either side, and i've not had much exposure to the other side in both cases :)

i'd love to use a mac for an extended period of time before i ever go in for one, because i've heard strong and convincing arguments on both sides

superb idea psychotropic! its so personal that trying it is the only way to figure if it fits your personal style of working on a laptop. now if you can find a generous soul to lend you his macbook pro... no DONT look at me :p though seriously make sure you work on the latest version with the scroll pad. it adds a superb level of ease to moving between pages, apps etc

regards

what i love about the macbook pro

# the scroll pad

the scroll pad makes it easy to move to the next page, previous page, between apps, to desktop etc.

to scroll down, i move two fingers in a downwards direction on the scrollpad

to scroll up, i move two fingers in an upward motion on the scrollpad

to go back to a previous page, i move three fingers in a leftwards motion horizontally

to go to next page (in documents, pdf, pic folder etc) move three fingers rightwards motion horizontally

within an app if i want to see other available apps i've used recently, in order to switch i move four fingers horizontally and an apps bar with icons appears

to go to desktop i move four fingers in an upwards motion and the open windows disappear offscreen

to see all available open windows i move four fingers in downwards motion and can then switch easily.

left click can happen anywhere on pad and right click in bottom right hand corner or tap two fingers anywhere to bring up secondary click menu

to zoom in, i make a reverse pinch gesture with any two fingers moving outwards diagonally in opposing directions from each other.

to zoom out i make a pinch movement, opposite of above gesture

moving anywhere is absolutely effortless on the macbook pro.

edit: if i'm viewing a large picture i can scroll left and right by moving two fingers left and right too.

there's another kind of zoom too, fn button + moving two fingers upwards motion zooms the entire screen so in apps like itunes where pinch zoom does not work, i can use fn + two finger scroll up motion to see text in a bigger size.

and if you've got a windows laptop? well you can check out synaptics it has a similar gesture control software but you'll need to check if your laptop is compatible. its got a few more features like drawing a question mark to go to a search engine.

Last edited:
ah need to get the moshi anti glare screen protector. the booq bag looks lovely enough space for everything for frequent travellers!

am also buying this in a couple of days cos laptop gets quite hot while charging and keeping it on laptop and working is quite impossible cos th targus bag i've got has a synthetic outer which makes the legs sweat. Cooling Pad N100

1500 bucks on ebay india, looking to source it locally first.

a review for laptop users who generally work with the laptop in their lap and who prefer their cashewnuts roasted and their walnuts intact. :p

out of all the laptop cooling pads this one had the most number of positive reviews. the main reason for me choosing the logitech n100 laptop pad was the rear intake fan. others have intake slots on the bottom and kept on the lap, these slots tend to get blocked and then the fan starts having problems. the logitech n100 is light, well designed aesthetically and is super silent. first time i asked a colleague to try his laptop out on it he say 'hey you've got a bad piece the fan is not working' after a minor heart attack i checked and the fan was working but super silent. there is a faint whirring noise if you listen though.

it has a nice curve at the top so there's a gap between the laptop base and the pad. that itself lets air get in to the base of the laptop. plug in the pad's usb cable into a usb port and the fan starts and blows air upwards and it exits through either sides under the laptop. there are grooved slots on the base of the pad for the usb cable to trail to left, right or top left or right so no matter where your usb port is located on your laptop, there's not much free trailing wire floating around. very neat touch!

my mac hardly got hot during charging and working while it was charging. it's also a good stable platform for a laptop.

fits upto 15 inch laptops i think. one can check it out on the logitech site. i got it from eBay India - Online Shopping Mall: Free Auctions, Shop/Buy/Sell Mobiles, Cameras, Apparel, Computers, Bollywood Clothes & Indian Products from a 100% seller tej something from delhi. shipped very fast within three days. 1500 odd bucks.

hope its useful to someone! if not you, your children will thank me ;) :D

mate i accept all these features your mentioning but dont you feel like the lack of usability with other machines..

umm what exactly do you mean by usability with other machines? which machines or tasks are you referring to?

regards

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back