Why you should avoid newer cassette decks

greenhorn

I got hands on this sony TC FX 170
On the face of it, apart from the piano key transport, it seemed like a decent deck. Manual Bias calibration, dolby C, DC Servo motor
uXLyzXdl.jpg

EoCcbaOl.jpg

All fancy features on the case.
7qSi5Ael.jpg

Should have figured it was all fake when I saw that the whole circuit was AC coupled instead of Direct, as the text outside claimed

0YuXTV8l.jpg

I opened it up, and was :eek: Where is all the circuitry? Apparently everything was on the display board.
vAa3V2wl.jpg

The problem was with the transport, which turned out to be more or less permanent. The take up reel friction drive had jammed up, which had in turn caused the drive gears to grind, and eventually the gears had just worn out. But what surprised me was the gears themselves. they were so puny, Compare them (the ones in the packet) to the gears of a late 70's deck (technics RS m6) (background). those gears could tear the skin off your fingers if they wanted to!
BTnSyPDl.jpg

And finally the Motor and the flywheel. Just another run of the mill mabuchi DC CCW motor, hooked up via a puny square belt to a tiny plastic flywheel which had a small metal disc glued to it!

see for reference the flywheel of another late '70's deck (sansui d-95M) next to it. the wow and flutter in this deck was PATHETIC!

This just a small part of the massive compromises which appear to have been involved in the making of this deck. I'm not even sure why sony appeared to bother making such a pathetic component.

For those of you thinking about buying a new deck instead of an old one, thinking, how bad could it be, well, now you know! the parts I've shown for reference are not from high end vintage decks. both these were entry level decks in their day, and yet they were built to a standard that newer decks could not even aspire to!

... and this deck actually works with all that empty space inside !

I was actually considering a new deck sometime back but now I will continue my search for a Nak.

your photos have answered your question

in the advent of cost cutting and mass manufacturing, the quality has significantly dropped. A lot of combo semiconductors are used unlike the olden times when there used to be discrete components matched together. More and more plastics ensured that the build quality and lasteability of these decks also reduced drastically.

on another note, if I'd spent 4k or 5k on this deck and opened it up to find an empty dubba, i'd get a heart attack :)

on another note, if I'd spent 4k or 5k on this deck and opened it up to find an empty dubba, i'd get a heart attack :)

I am sure that it will never happen since you are right there on the top with a few members on our forum who conduct proper due diligence before buying any stuff. :)

You probably got one raw deal with your Garrard, but the restoration was immaculate. Hardly one can tell that it was rescued from becoming a junk. Same I can say for Kuruvila sir too.

Last edited:
Hmmm... my decade-plus aged Sony cassette deck (recently repaired by Mr Sayeed of Chennai) is the opposite: just astonishingly full of components! He even managed to get parts for it.

Would have thought that, in these days of integrated chips, many components are boxes of air. I wouldn't judge by that alone. On the mechanical front, though, I am not able to form any proper opinion: you guys have the advantage.

Recently sold my AKAi Cassette Deck,

i should have posted inside pictures, it was so full, i was wondering does a cassette deck was taken so serious, that they developed and stacked so much stuff

it had Glass Head which had six pin connector, dolby digital, filter switch, and a cassette bias selector to select as per the type of tape you use like metal, crome etc ....

and it was sounding melodious many times i thought i will retain it, but did not want to make apart the Akai amp and cassette deck ... so sold it to a person who wanted this combo and listens to cassette frequently ... called him up this weekend, he is happy ....

Not to mention i sold the cassette desk for 4 K only..

Regards

Tanoj

This deck is up for grabs if anybody wants. Grinding noise in transport, flutter, and imbalance in the channels. I'm using it as a rewind/ffwd and for removing fungus. The Head is original and Electronics appear to be in flawless shape.
Offer valid till monday.

greenhorn said:
For those of you thinking about buying a new deck instead of an old one, thinking, how bad could it be, well, now you know! the parts I've shown for reference are not from high end vintage decks. both these were entry level decks in their day, and yet they were built to a standard that newer decks could not even aspire to!
Indeed.... In my opinion we should try to avoid ANYTHING NEW,its all garbage and wont produce as good results!!

Im sorry you ended up with a bad unit!!

This deck is up for grabs if anybody wants. Grinding noise in transport, flutter, and imbalance in the channels. I'm using it as a rewind/ffwd and for removing fungus. The Head is original and Electronics appear to be in flawless shape.
Offer valid till monday.

Offer valid till Monday..Which Monday?..seems like the offer is still valid :D

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back