Wifi Router not booting

gobble

My 3 year old WNDR3700 router is no longer booting into a usable state. The orage led of power signal glows, the ethernet ports blink orange every minute, the blue wifi led blinks for one sec then back to a long wait with just the power led .. repeat. Ethernet port is active for exactly one ping response before locking up. So cant update firmware as well. Older one was NG thought I would try dd-wrt but it is not update-able in current state. factory reset is not working.

What to do?

---G0bble

Last edited:
1. check the voltage from the power adapter. Almost certainly nothing to do with it, but poking stuff with probes and looking at digital readouts always makes one feel professional ;)

2. Factory Reset.

3. Bury it. (cross-posted with jls001)

I don't know whether to suggest following any sort of manufacturer service route: it might be worth a phone call, at least.

Ok Let me try the local service technicians at SP road. Spending 500/- for repairs beats spending 5000 for a new one.

That said, Please pour some suggestions for a new dual band Wifi access point - I dont want a router just an AP with AES/WPA2 + Radius security as it will be sitting behind my DSL modem and I never used the routing features on the existing one.

I will still try and ressurrect this one to use with DD_WRT.
Since the factory reset is not working, it may be the flash memory has failed?

Let me open it now ...

--G0bble

Call your GF, she will resur'erect' it from the dead :lol:

Hi Gobble,

Did you try the 30-30-30 reset?
That's the best chance you have to revive your router.

Whats that? Can you send some Men-In-Black to my doorstep to run that top secret hi-tech procedure? :lol:

--G0ble
(G0bble without a double "b" rhymes with Noble) :eek:hyeah:

Try updating the firmware.

One of my routers recently said bye bye and then after resetting it and installing a new firmware I am able to use it as a bridge.

here is your 30-30-30 method Hard reset or 30/30/30 - DD-WRT Wiki
Hard Reset (aka 30/30/30 reset):

The following procedure will clear out the NVRAM and set dd-wrt back to default values:
With the unit powered on, press and hold the reset button on back of unit for 30 seconds
Without releasing the reset button, unplug the unit and hold reset for another 30 seconds
Plug the unit back in STILL holding the reset button a final 30 seconds (please note that this step can put Asus devices into recovery mode...see note below!)

This procedure should be done BEFORE and AFTER every firmware upgrade/downgrade.

Btw, some netgear routers have a auto firmware check feature. Are you sure that you did not turn off your router accidentally while doing a firmware upgrade?

If this method does not recover your router then going for new router would be appropriate but why do you need a dual band router and how big is your area?

Time for a DIY project?

Cm'on, it's a legal excuse to buy a new one. Don't hold yourself back, I know you're itching to spend :D

Try updating the firmware.

One of my routers recently said bye bye and then after resetting it and installing a new firmware I am able to use it as a bridge.

Ethernet port is active for exactly one ping response before locking up. So cant update firmware as well. Older one was NG thought I would try dd-wrt but it is not update-able in current state. factory reset is not working.
---G0bble

I would like to give it to a service center if they are willing to quote the total bill with a minimal fee for diagnosis then install dd-wrt. Know any good one? The WNDR 3700 is the most highly recommended router for DD-WRT so I dont want to lose it. Othereise I will get an Asus RT-N12 if its staill available. I dont really want a router just a WAP with 4 ethernet ports, but the choices are limited in terms of reputation and price.

--G0bble

1. check the voltage from the power adapter. Almost certainly nothing to do with it, but poking stuff with probes and looking at digital readouts always makes one feel professional ;)

2. Factory Reset.

3. Bury it. (cross-posted with jls001)

I don't know whether to suggest following any sort of manufacturer service route: it might be worth a phone call, at least.

Hurrah! It is fixed! Guess what?!! It was the cheapest component in the chain that failed - the power adaptor!! A FREE Beer to Thad next time he's in Bengaluru- for guessing that right. So the Wifi wasn't able to draw power to start itself although the power led was on. And the factory reset wasn't working because it wasn't able to draw the pulse required on reset.

The solution was expensive though! :eek:

I found this service vendor on Quickr Vijay Krishna Electronics and took a bus to ISRO layout from Banaswadi (didnt feel like driving through the weekday traffic).

So that was 55/- x 2 (Bus with Airconditioned comfort :))+ 35 x 2 (Rickshaw) + 240/- for a new power adapter totaling 420/- + 6 hrs simply commuting to and back from the place today!! I think the adapter could have been had for 150/- possibly and locally with a 30 min travel, if only I had listended to the voice in the back of my head!! Boy was I was glad when Mr. Vijay refused to use my adapter and used his power generator and checked it and immediately I found the Wifi Signal on my Android. All this after a 3hr travel and 90/- bucks spent to reach there ... Huff! :mad:

But the person was a gentleman and inspired confidence in me over the phone so I paid the 240/- as service charge including cost of adapter. Moreover I was glad I didn't have to junk the best-in-class WiFi router costing 7500/- (top of the list recommended one by DD-WRT) by spending another 2 to 4K for another WAP. Mr. Vijay also accepts wifi routers/modems/laptops/mobo's by courier for repair. Its so funny that traveling within city takes as much time as traveling to Bandipur from Bangalore!! Next time I will just courier anything I want repaired locally rather than travel those mere 25Kms within Bangalore over 6 hrs on a weekday! 100 rupees courier + 30 mins finding packing material and local courier office is better than the marathon yatraa ...

Just as I was getting down I also met fellow HFV'er Kaushik in the same bus after like 3 or 4 years ...

But in the end I am glad that I discovered a hidden pocket of Bangalore that captures its beauty and charm - ISRO layout is a place with wonderfully positive energy and charm. Would love to stay there if the commute wasn't killing.

--G0bble

Last edited:
Hurrah! It is fixed! Guess what?!! It was the cheapest component in the chain that failed - the power adaptor!! A FREE Beer to Thad next time he's in Bengaluru- for guessing that right. So the Wifi wasn't able to draw power to start itself although the power led was on. And the factory reset wasn't working because it wasn't able to draw the pulse required on reset.
Amazing! :yahoo:

I just like using meters :eek:

I used to take a break-out box (25 little switches, patch points and lights) on site to diagnose broken/wrongly-wired serial cables to dumb terminals, or, occasionally, and rather more technically, how to get an obscure modem/computer combination to work. Especially as I also had a box full of home-made 9/15/25-pin adapters, it all looked very impressive. It wasn't really: it took only the most minimal knowledge of RS232 serial comms :rolleyes:. But it looked impressive!

Why I thought my idea was probably wrong was that power supplies are usually just on or off. Yours, it turns out, was in-between.

Glad you got it fixed: make mine a masala chai :eek:hyeah:

Amazing! :yahoo:

I just like using meters :eek:

I used to take a break-out box (25 little switches, patch points and lights) on site to diagnose broken/wrongly-wired serial cables to dumb terminals, or, occasionally, and rather more technically, how to get an obscure modem/computer combination to work. Especially as I also had a box full of home-made 9/15/25-pin adapters, it all looked very impressive. It wasn't really: it took only the most minimal knowledge of RS232 serial comms :rolleyes:. But it looked impressive!

Why I thought my idea was probably wrong was that power supplies are usually just on or off. Yours, it turns out, was in-between.

Glad you got it fixed: make mine a masala chai :eek:hyeah:

Oh I have dealt with Modem banks too - with CC:Mail and MSMail. :)

Tweet! One Masala Chai coming yer way! :cheers:

--G0bble

Coming to think of it, you guys are right. My US brought modem's original and the local adapters died. However, the 2003 model netgear modem itself is still running (only WEP, though).

Item for the WiFi Check list - Check Power Adapter first.

Coming to think of it, you guys are right. My US brought modem's original and the local adapters died. However, the 2003 model netgear modem itself is still running (only WEP, though).

Item for the WiFi Check list - Check Power Adapter first.

Only WEP? Can a firmware change to dd-wrt or open-wrt add WPA2 with AES? WEP is easily hacked. anybody can send terror emails by snooping and sharing your wireless. :eek:hyeah:

What model is it?

-G0bble

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back