Wireless DAC Or Squeezebox Touch Or Airport Express

kGr99

Hi,

I have all my music in my laptop/external hdd(flacs/mp3). I am using foobar2000 via wasapi. I am looking for a wireless solution in the flowchart below.

Laptop/External HDD - > (_________) -> Norge 2060 -> Wharfedale 9.2

What do I fill the gap above with? Currently I am using cables in that gap. I did some research and came up with the following options
1) Wireless DAC ( Nuforce air dac)
2) Squeezebox Touch ( I do not mind a standalone media player)
3) Apple Airport Express ( I still do not know how to use this with foobar2000)

My queries are as follows:
1) Is a wireless DAC worth an investment? Will there be any performance difference compared to the wired(USB/Digital Out) solutions.
2) Is getting a squeezebox/airport express now and high end DAC later a better solution over a budget DAC with wireless capability?

My budget is INR 20k. Open to globally available options as well.

PS: I will be buying a lot of audio equipment over time as I just started my journey in the world of music (and money :eek:hyeah:)

It's a no-brainer - Logitech Squeezebox Touch!

Direct HDD connection, From Laptop via Wifi, Internet Radio, Excellent in-built DAC.

I am going to put up an almost new one (4 months) for sale for. Upgrading to a Transporter.

I have used both Apple AE and the classic SB2 for years now. If you already have either a Touch, iphone or ipad - then the AE is a no-brainer for sheer convenience. The DACs on these devices are good enough that you will be hard-pressed to notice the difference. Both feature digital outs in case you want to use an external DAC. The AE is also a very good Wi-fi router, so you can either retire the existing router or merely configure the AE as a bridge to increase coverage in your home.

I cant speak for the SB Touch, but the old one that I have is a bit finicky with wireless connections and isnt quite spiffy. The Android remote app works very well with the SB though. Apple just works, but then you have to buy into their eco-system that is built around itunes.

If you have already invested a great deal of effort in building a library of FLAC files, then SB is a no brainer. Apple will not support FLAC. I am not sure if either device will work with Foobar. If you listen to a lot of internet radio like I do, then SB works well. Both are just as easy to setup, the AE slightly more so.

SBT makes sense but I'm not too sure its got a great DAC.

Do you have an old system you can convert to a Music PC? Just add in a new HDD and Asus Xonar and the SQ will definitely be better... unless you need wireless.

offtopic

...Upgrading to a Transporter.

:eek:hyeah:

Wow, didn't know anyone ever bought those monsters. Please... a thread about it. both pre and post purchase?

kGr99 said:
2) Squeezebox Touch ( I do not mind a standalone media player)
It is not really a standalone media player: it is a wireless solution cum internet player cum multi-room system. Perhaps the addition of the USB port has made it into a standalone media player, and many seem to be happy doing just exactly that.

Last edited:
wow! thanks for all the suggestions

looks like squeezebox has a lot of fan following.@aashish351 any pre booking offer? :lol:

I do have a decent number of flacs , and would continue collecting flacs. i am looking at using third party apps such as airfoil for airport express and hence i wouldn't be tied to apple ecosystem.

@musicbee - I am currently looking for a out of the box solution. My DIY is a home theater which I will start in few years time ( read as 3 or more). Started making notes and budget allocations already :p

Interesting no one commented on a wireless DAC? I thought a DAC is the closest of the lot to being an audiophile equipment?

Interesting no one commented on a wireless DAC? I thought a DAC is the closest of the lot to being an audiophile equipment?

Depends on the quality of the DAC. From what I've heard the Asus Xonar compares very well with most budget DACs. For real audiophile SQ the DAC will need to be in the range of 40-50K (based on what I've heard so far)... and then there are the super-expensive ones like dCS Scarlatti DAC which claim audio nirvana.

Between a Wireless DAC and an SB Touch, I think you might get more bang for the buck from an SB Touch.

The Arcam rDAC KW would be an excellent wireless DAC to consider, but then I think it will come to about double what an SB Touch will cost.

IMHO "wireless" anything comes at too high a cost. But then that's just me :)

Unfortunately, the marketing has convinced people that the letters D-A-C = audiophile. Your CD player has a DAC; your PC soundcard has a DAC, even your motherboard probably has one. All DACs are certainly not equal, but the idea that a separate, standalone, DAC is necessarily better than any other is pure marketing hype. Fits very nicely with the idea that one has to spend a huge amount of money to get a good one. That's hifi :rolleyes:

On top of which, "wireless DAC" could describe the squeezeboxes quite nicely. It is, primarily, a wireless network device with a DAC. Different models have different, additional capabilities, but this is its core purpose.

Let's look at it this way,

How would you rate the DAC in squeezebox touch over the nuforce air DAC which is a standalone DAC?

My intuition says any standalone equipment exists solely because it is superior to its integrated counterpart in some way or the other.

Although in this case, someone like me might not be able to practically make out the difference -> which here is SQ.

@Thad E Ginathom - You are by far the most open faced critic I have come across. I have read a lot of your posts and boy you shoot straight. Good to hear from people like you once in a while. :cheers:

Thanks! But we all have our prejudices, and mine are plain to see :D
My intuition says any standalone equipment exists solely because it is superior to its integrated counterpart in some way or the other.
Hmmm... On the whole, I'd agree with the principle, which has been a guiding principle of hifi ever since people moved on from their booming radiogram to turntable, amplifier and speakers, several decades ago.

As mentioned, not all DACS are equal. There must be standalone DACs that are not as good as builtins, so the answer is that the standalone DAC is superior when it is superior, not because it has the letters D-A-C on it!

I don't know, but I suspect that a lot of good CD players give better results with their built in DACs than with external units, because the transport and DAC are so closely linked, clocking is integrated, etc. I am not able to go deeper on the technical details --- but you will still find owners of such decks wondering if they should buy a DAC!

Most of our SB Touch owners seem very happy with its sound, but this is not to say that it can't be improved, but one must be sure that the chosen external DACis actually going to be better. I have a Duet: I use it very rarely, as most of my music, these days, is heard from my PC on headphones, but I am happy with its sound when I do use it. It is usually said that the Touch has a better sound than the Duet.

A "wireless DAC" is integrating the functions of network interface and DAC, so, strictly, it is no longer a dedicated, stand-alone device. Would the Squeezeboxes sound bettter if they had been named SqueezeDACs ? :lol:

Last edited:
Thanks! But we all have our prejudices, and mine are plain to see :D
Hmmm... On the whole, I'd agree with the principle, which has been a guiding principle of hifi ever since people moved on from their booming radiogram to turntable, amplifier and speakers, several decades ago.

As mentioned, not all DACS are equal. There must be standalone DACs that are not as good as builtins, so the answer is that the standalone DAC is superior when it is superior, not because it has the letters D-A-C on it!

I don't know, but I suspect that a lot of good CD players give better results with their built in DACs than with external units, because the transport and DAC are so closely linked, clocking is integrated, etc. I am not able to go deeper on the technical details --- but you will still find owners of such decks wondering if they should buy a DAC!

Most of our SB Touch owners seem very happy with its sound, but this is not to say that it can't be improved, but one must be sure that the chosen external DACis actually going to be better. I have a Duet: I use it very rarely, as most of my music, these days, is heard from my PC on headphones, but I am happy with its sound when I do use it. It is usually said that the Touch has a better sound than the Duet.

I agree, the role of the DAC is a little over-rated. Of all the DACs that I have used, there is probably just one that didnt quite suit my tastes. I loved the DAC in my old Sony Vaio, The DACs in the the SB and the AE are good enough - the difference isnt discernible. As good as the DACs in the DEQ2496, bcos I cant tell the difference when I bypass the equilization. The sound from an EDIROL USB sound card also sounds good.

Unfortunately, the marketing has convinced people that the letters D-A-C = audiophile. Your CD player has a DAC; your PC soundcard has a DAC, even your motherboard probably has one. All DACs are certainly not equal, but the idea that a separate, standalone, DAC is necessarily better than any other is pure marketing hype. Fits very nicely with the idea that one has to spend a huge amount of money to get a good one. That's hifi :rolleyes:

On top of which, "wireless DAC" could describe the squeezeboxes quite nicely. It is, primarily, a wireless network device with a DAC. Different models have different, additional capabilities, but this is its core purpose.

Agree with this. I bought one recently and am listening to music 4-5 hours a day after that. Have all FLAC format music. DAC is good in SBT. Convenience is phenomenal! Must go for it!

Looks like a squeezebox touch is a clear winner. I'll start my hunt for one.

Thank you everyone for all the inputs.

The chain is finally complete. I got the squeezebox touch. :eek:hyeah:

SBT -> Norge 2060 -> Wharfedale 9.2

Using the inbuilt server for now with an external HDD.

Initial Impressions: Beautiful packing, excellent looking product, a treat to your eyes.

Sound: Outstanding as compared to my PC, ipod, Galaxy S2. SBT even beats an old Sony CD player by miles. Suddenly, music has life and energy. Heavenly for someone with dead ears like me :lol:.

Comfort: Squeezepad in Ipad is beautiful. Just what I wanted. I occasionally use my phone too as remote. I like all the color and glitter :lol:

Conclusion: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

Have procured the SBT from aashish ....... toooo gud ....... music, any type, from anywhere from around the world .... is on the 'tip' of my fingers ... so 'smooth' is the SBT screen :clapping:.

The SQ is just about a notch below my 6003 .... can hardly make out though. A winner due to convenience and good performance!

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back