Wooden paneling the wall...

Imrahn

How is the rate of wooden paneling of walls usually quoted- per panel or by area? Would highly appreciate if someone has first hand knowledge of the same,and would share here.

Regards

Imrahn

It is quoted per SqFt X Size of panel.
Try a kerala brand called RUBBERWOOD.

Wanted to add...
Whenever you do wall paneling apply enamel paint on the wall
and then put a polystyrene sheet between the wall and wood panel.
This is to ensure that there is no moisture/ water related issues.
Also apply anti -termite chemicals to the rear side of the panel

Last edited:
Imrahn -

It is almost always quoted on a per sq ft basis. There are a couple of different ways to achieve wooden paneling:

a) you can buy teak board - they come in varying thickness depending on the requirement. It is basically a teak veneer pasted on a commercial board

b) you can buy thin wooden veneer - this is very difficult to handle and best left to professionals

c) you can veneer pasted on commercial ply

The standard size of a ply / board / veneer is 8ft x 4 ft so lots of places might quote on a per-sheet basis also based on 32 sq ft per sheet. You normally will have to buy a full sheet only.

I was going to panel a room in my old London house. I bought the materials, but it was one of those many jobs I never got around to actually doing.

However, it's worth passing on a hint given to me then by my neighbour, a skilled DIY guy: varnish the back of the wood before fixing, to avoid problems with damp.

We didn't have termites there, otherwise I expect he would have mentioned that too. It sounds like good advice.

Thanx for the response guys,much appreciated :D

Does veneer come in various shades especially dark ones?and yea, will keep in mind about varnishing the rear side of the panel.

Also, does anyone have any estimate on the pricing side?

veneer comes in a lot of shades, visit the local market.
Beyond cost of plywood, veneer and labor,
you need to look into melamine/varnish application cost.
This will cost almost an equivalent to all of the above.
Veneer and OST needs to be sand papered , so account for
lots of dust around your AV.

Greenply water proof plywood + some nice veneer, Easily available + great looks..

First get the wall painted and waterproofed, secondly, put a sheet of plastic in between, better if glued to the wall, then screw the ply panels, and then get the veneer pasted/nailed..And then get it polished..

Only problem with veneer may be that if hit, it may chip and the brow board may be revealed, but the polisher can touch that up most times..

And yes, get the veneer sheets of the same lot, We got a lovely white veneer, and some sheets of the second lot that we got were of a slightly diff colour.

Also, When applying melamine, for a month or two ensure a steady supply of fresh air, else this leads to the panels becoming yellowish (again happened to us in a smaller cabin with zero ventilation except the ac..)

EDIT- While you are at it, before u close the wall, get some electric pipes in for cabling..And leave GI wires in them so u can pull the wires out the other end if/when needed..Else, it'l be a hell lot of work and expenditure..

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back