Xbox 360, PS3 or media players

vishal996

Hey guys,

I was looking to call for a media player from a friend returning from the US. I had shortlisted on WDTV live or the Asus O! play RT-3.... I was thinking of getting an xbox360 or PS3 next year....

I later got to know that both the Xbox and PS3 have media capabilities as well (PS3 also has a blu-ray player)
which meant i cud get to play games as well as watch movies on one machine (which wud save me space n money!!)

I was wondering what the real difference between these players and proper media players is.... Do the xbox/Ps3 play all common kinda movies/music files (eg. mkv, avi, mp3, wma etc.).

Also i wud like to know since these players have limited storage (160GB max), do they support external hard drives to play movies, games etc.?

Experts kindly enlighten me on these queries so that i can make a decision..

thanks in advance

Hey guys,

I was looking to call for a media player from a friend returning from the US. I had shortlisted on WDTV live or the Asus O! play RT-3.... I was thinking of getting an xbox360 or PS3 next year....

I later got to know that both the Xbox and PS3 have media capabilities as well (PS3 also has a blu-ray player)
which meant i cud get to play games as well as watch movies on one machine (which wud save me space n money!!)

I was wondering what the real difference between these players and proper media players is.... Do the xbox/Ps3 play all common kinda movies/music files (eg. mkv, avi, mp3, wma etc.).

Also i wud like to know since these players have limited storage (160GB max), do they support external hard drives to play movies, games etc.?

Experts kindly enlighten me on these queries so that i can make a decision..

thanks in advance

Please search also read this thread there is lot of info available in this forum already..

http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/6928-ps3-alternative-all-these-media-players.html

Wait till next year to buy the new PS3 move with motiongaming...

Where in india ? link and price please ? :rolleyes:

Not in India though. It's on pre-order in Amazon. The set of two controllers cost $180 - Probably can buy a Wii at this cost. I'm thinking whether to pre-order it or just wait till someone comes from the US.

For Gaming... Go for Xbox 360 Now or post November... Microsoft Kinect will be out by November this year... Kinect will be available as an accessory for existing owners at an annouced price of just $150... u become the controller:yahoo:... Controllerless gaming with 3D depth vision camera, voice recognition, image recognition and works that is already driving the nails in the coffin for Wii and Sony...

Please search also read this thread there is lot of info available in this forum already..

http://www.hifivision.com/media-streaming-players/6928-ps3-alternative-all-these-media-players.html

Wait till next year to buy the new PS3 move with motiongaming...

thanks kittu,

was a helpful thread...guess i'll stick to a media player for now as i'm not a hardcore gamer... i'll probably buy a simple media player cos i wud like to buy the boxee box when it releases (my friend returns before its launch in November.. so guess that purchase will be next year)

any suggestions for a good basic media player which plays most formats...

shortlists for me are:

1) Asus O! play rt-3
2) Xtreamer pro
3) Patriot box
4) WD live (however it doesnt play all formats compared to the other 3)

thx

I have a PlayonHD so I can not comment on other models . But xtreamer pro seems to be a well regarded one in the forum .

@vishal996 .... AC Ryan POHD or Xtremer Pro ...... no comparision with the rest .......
If you are more interested in doing lots of gaming then 360 but if its like few games but lots of Blurays as well ..... PS3 is for you ..... If you ask me, get a 360 and a Media player ...... that should suffice your most gaming and movie needs as well...

The Xtreamer Pro is quite good. Go for it. Ive played quite a few of my video files and it plays all formats with ease. Simple and uncluttered menu systems make it a joy to use.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back