xbox games - region specific

himanshujovi

Hello

I plan to buy an xbox 360 4GB + kinect console in India. Will this be able to play game purchased outside India say Singapore ?

Would there be any region specific issues ?

AFAIK most of them are all region, but if a game is region specific, you would not be able to play it on India console.

Consoles (both PS3 & Xbox 360) sold in India are PAL!

Xbox 360 games are divided into 3 categories (region) - PAL, NTSC-U (USA) & NTSC-J (Japan)

Singapore should be under NTSC-U, I might be wrong here!

On a game's region free status, the Play-Asia link posted above is most accurate database out there!

Last edited:
Consoles (both PS3 & Xbox 360) sold in India are PAL!

Xbox 360 games are divided into 3 categories (region) - PAL, NTSC-U (USA) & NTSC-J (Japan)

Singapore should be under NTSC-U, I might be wrong here!

Yes I thought so too but the link mentioned above does not say that India is under PAL.. As per that link Asia is under NTSC

PAL or NTSC is television colour encoding system, it has nothing to do with a DVD region code. India follows PAL and console sold in India have PAL encoding system.

DVD region code something different. It means you can only play the disc of say region 5 on a player that is bought from the same region .......

India falls in region code 5, like 1 is for USA. So if you purchase an Xbox 360 console in Asia, you cannot play game discs that are sold in North America or Europe and vice versa.

All region disc or region free discs can be played on any console and if I am not wrong most of the 360 games are region free.

PAL or NTSC is television colour encoding system, it has nothing to do with a DVD region code. India follows PAL and console sold in India have PAL encoding system.

DVD region code something different. It means you can only play the disc of say region 5 on a player that is bought from the same region .......

India falls in region code 5, like 1 is for USA. So if you purchase an Xbox 360 console in Asia, you cannot play game discs that are sold in North America or Europe and vice versa.

All region disc or region free discs can be played on any console and if I am not wrong most of the 360 games are region free.

Ok so it sounds like that I should be able to play the game discs purchased in Singapore on my console bought in India.

Xbox 360 games are divided into 3 regions - PAL, NTSC-U (USA) & NTSC-J (Japan), Region code 1-5 are only for DVD movies!

Europe come under PAL, so games bought there will work on Indian Xbox (I have bought many games from UK for my Indian PAL Xbox)

Ok so it sounds like that I should be able to play the game discs purchased in Singapore on my console bought in India.

Just check the game back cover or the sides, if it says PAL then it will definitely work & if it says NTSC it will work only if its region free!

Xbox 360 games are divided into 3 regions - PAL, NTSC-U (USA) & NTSC-J (Japan), Region code 1-5 are only for DVD movies!

Europe come under PAL, so games bought there will work on Indian Xbox (I have bought many games from UK for my Indian PAL Xbox)

Sounds good then ... :)

Yes and if region coding is only for DVD movies and not for games, you are anyhow safe ... :)

Yes and if region coding is only for DVD movies and not for games, you are anyhow safe ... :)

sorry to butt in, but that's not true for the xbox360. games on the 360 are region locked depending on the "publishers" policy. you can find out the publisher of a game, do a google search on whether their games on the 360 are region locked/free.

eg all games published by microsoft are region free and (@masterofdisaster) all EA games are region locked.

so NTSC Gears of War will work on Pal system but FIFA won't.

All systems sold in India are PAL. games from Singapore/UK/AU WILL work on an Indian Console, American?Jap won't..

pls search on this list if you are looking for a particular game

Xbox360 Regional Compatibility Guide

also, Sony has left it up to the publishers to decide on region encoding for PS3 games, and as a result, all their game are region free(movies are not).

hope this helps

To support the previous post- 360 games are mainly divided into 4 regions: PAL, NTSC-U and NTSC-J. If a game is RF (Region Free) then whether it is labeled as NTSC or PAL it will work universally on every console.
My 360 was NTSC-J unit. I mistakenly downloaded NFS The Run NTSC-U version and the burnt disk therefore resulted in region code error. Later I downloaded the NTSC-J and it worked just fine.
Luckily most games are RF but as stated above EA games (and some few others) are region specific. Rockstar's games are RF. For example- Red Dead Redemption was a RF game. If you order it from US- the package will say NTSC but it will run on ANY console. Here that label- NTSC is actually confusing. Same to say about Tomb Raider games. All of them were RF. I once brought the TR: Legend from UK without knowing the fact UK games are PAL. But as the game was RF it ran on my console, although PAL was labelled. As soon as game's ISO is uploaded into the wild, you can go and check the game's Region Code in here.
Search Tomb Raider and you will see these results.

As all of them are RF, you can buy them from anywhere in the world and can play them whatever your console has specific region set for.

Last edited:
Hello

I plan to buy an xbox 360 4GB + kinect console in India. Will this be able to play game purchased outside India say Singapore ?

Would there be any region specific issues ?

I require an answer for the same as I had a game purchased in Bangkok and xbox console was bought in India.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back