Xtreamer & Ipod touch as remote

sridhar-v

Hi!

have any of you used the Ipod touch as a remote for the Xtreamer?

If yes can the Xtreamer be controlled without turning on the TV?

Maybe offtopic. But is there a Media Player in the market that can be used to browse/listen songs even without attaching a TV at all?

probably not. But they do not go around shouting "look we got an ipod remote!!!"
squeezebox has a remote for iphone that can you can use to select music to play from the remote itself, no display needed beyond iphone's.

Maybe offtopic. But is there a Media Player in the market that can be used to browse/listen songs even without attaching a TV at all?

All these non IR remotes works using a custom software which uses WiFi network to communicate with the device. I think if both devices support networking (provided device is capable of recognizing the commands), it should work with any device with a remote s/w, same as controlling a PC.

Last edited:
this one is useless for playing music without turning TV on. If I have to turn the TV on, what is the point in using any other remote than the default one?

probably not. But they do not go around shouting "look we got an ipod remote!!!"
squeezebox has a remote for iphone that can you can use to select music to play from the remote itself, no display needed beyond iphone's.

It's all about convinence to me, But I don't have any media player. I use PC as my source and use the Remote application using which can see the track list, favorites on iTunes.

Okay, so probably a Media Player is not for the person who is inclined towards music rather than movies. And it's a clear no-no, if one is not willing to attach a TV to the audio setup just to use this media player. My laptop zindabaad!

I had a look at Squeezebox Duet but then I cannot attach a USB drive to it and as a result I have to keep my laptop open all the time! :(

Okay, so probably a Media Player is not for the person who is inclined towards music rather than movies. And it's a clear no-no, if one is not willing to attach a TV to the audio setup just to use this media player. My laptop zindabaad!

I had a look at Squeezebox Duet but then I cannot attach a USB drive to it and as a result I have to keep my laptop open all the time! :(

Option is to buy a small 7 inch car lcd and use it as the interface.

Xtreamer can play contents without switching on the TV from Web Interface with the firmare 2.3 and 2.3.1. Personally tried that and working.

Did not try it from iPhone or any other phone interface.

Ver 2.3 Highlights

Play files and folders from remote distance with TV UI screen shot:

a. Play files directly from web UI to TV

- Click Play button next to file name to play that file directly on TV

b. Play all files of a folder directly from web UI to TV

- Click Play button next to folder name to play the files of that folder directly on TV

c. Playlist play option from web UI to TV

- You need to make playlist from web UI or TV if not exists

- Click Play button from playlist window (Video/Audio/Photo) to play that playlist directly on TV

d. Play playlists from Web Remote Control to TV by one click

- You need to make playlist from web UI or TV if not exists

- Click Movies/Music/Photos button from web remote control to play

corresponding playlist directly on TV

e. Currently playing file information and remote control by viewing TV Screen Shot

- Currently playing file name is viewable from main page of RC

- Click on that file name to see more information about it

- Go to RC sub page and click Screen Shot button to control your TV viewing screen shot

- Or go to RC2 and click on TV icon at the left to control your TV viewing screen shot

- Currently need to refresh page to see updated Screen Shot

Playlist Auto run

a. Go to Setup->Playback->Auto Run and select the playlist you want to play

automatically

b. Whenever you will turn Xtreamer on or reboot your selected playlist will be auto played

c. For photo playlist you need to select

Setup->Playback->Background Music->Playlist for background music to be auto played

Xtreamer.Net - Xtreamer > Firmware > Ver 2.3

hi bizarre,

if you like the squeezebox duet, then you can look at using an external storage option like a NAS (network attached storage). george on the forum has an elegant solution for his castle. the computer is used to rip cds into wav or flac format and then these ripped files are transferred through the software of the NAS to the NAS drive which is something like an external hard disk. for playback you dont need to have the laptop on. the squeezebox accesses tunes from the NAS and sends them to your speakers. i forget the name of the NAS that george has. someone can help out? or perhaps you can search on the forum and send george a pm.

i was going to go that way but then decided digital files were c@#$ anyway (to my ears) so moved to vinyl totally :)

regards

^ Stevieboy - Wasn't it the Netgear Ready NAS

yup teky zats ze one! there you go bizarre.

by the way bizarre when you check out the netgear make sure you check out the specific one they have for audio, they have a few models with different features and functionalities for differing uses. ready nas duo i think it was, the best part is your music is backed up by on the disk itself and you can keep a backup at a different location, the ready nas server which is the best kind of back up - offsite.

From the responses it seems that all media players are optimised for video playback.

So I am planning to build an Intel Atom-Ion platform unit which will have a Xonar STX for DAC duties & a Mimo 7" touchscreen LCD for feedback & visualisation. Will go with Win7 & use MediaMonkey instead of Winamp and MonkeyTunes on the Ipod touch for remote selection of playlists etc.

Will keep you all posted

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back