Yamaha amplifiers availability.

Thanks for the response.Iam aware that RN series are stereo receivers .
The RN803 has AS701/801 amp inside as per asr,avs and japan/bogs forums.So it depends on need.
stereopolice YT channel has done a awesome job of sharing what are the factual differences within AS series.
As i have shared elsewhere stevehoffman forum has IMO one of the best user views of ASxxx vs ASxxxx . Clearly there were users who could affort to buy the ASxxxx but preferred the AS801/701s for well explained reasons.

Integrated DACs : I have used outboard DACs including one's with tube front end ! .My personal preference is less clutter and avoid cabling issues . So inbuild DACs (ESS sabre in RN803) serves my purpose.

I think you mistook my comment.
When I am saying A-S 801 or above, I did not mean to exclude NR 801 or consider it inferior. Just stating that they are receivers. So some may be paying for things they don't need.

I was stating my experience with the sound signature so that it may help somebody choose here, because it may not be easy to audition them in India.

801 is an excellent amp for the money. DAC is also a bonus. It is just not in the league of say 1200. It's actually unfair for us to expect an amp that weighs just half to be as good as the more accomplished sibling.

So what do we get when we step up?

1. Pre-outs so you can run two subs with your custom crossover for stereo listening.
2. Much better and cleaner phono stage with support for both cartridges
4. Huge caps reserve for better dynamics
5. Beautiful meters
6. Cleaner( 10+db difference in SNR)
7. Better built and more beautiful.

If you see this list, not everyone who can afford 1200 may need or appreciate these extra 'things'. So it's totally understandable.

When I am saying A-S 801 or above, I did not mean to exclude NR 801 or consider it inferior. Just stating that they are receivers. So some may be paying for things they don't need.

I was stating my experience with the sound signature so that it may help somebody choose here, because it may not be easy to audition them in India.

801 is an excellent amp for the money. DAC is also a bonus. It is just not in the league of say 1200. It's actually unfair for us to expect an amp that weighs just half to be as good as the more accomplished sibling.

1. Pre-outs so you can run two subs with your custom crossover for stereo listening.
5. Beautiful meters

If you see this list, not everyone who can afford 1200 may need or appreciate these extra 'things'. So it's totally understandable.
Aha ok.Thanks for the clarification. I did infer correctly that you meant no comparison.
I just wanted folks to know the RN803 gets overlooked bcuz its a receiver.Thats a alert for folks as the price to performance value is exceptional.
I was not aware until i came across a Polish website and ASR forum that had done proper reviews.Else i would have overlooked for sure.

Yes .The AS701/801 are a way to experience the Yamaha sound signature for the AS XXX series from AS301 upwards that gets progressively better upto to AS701/AS801.
However as per folks in the forums i mentioned clearly state that AS801 and AS1100/1200 series upwards are different in sound signature/presentation.Note its different ,not better ! So they have clearly stated - The AS1100/1200 is NOT a better sound signature version of AS701,AS801 .Offcourse its upto individuals to take a call. The folks who have done side by side demo's at home have shared there findings.So IMO that works for me as a guidance as these possibilities dont exist in India for now atleast.
The AS1100/1200 topology and output devices are different and some other aspects too as mentioned by you.

Aha ok.Thanks for the clarification. I did infer correctly that you meant no comparison.
I just wanted folks to know the RN803 gets overlooked bcuz its a receiver.Thats a alert for folks as the price to performance value is exceptional.
I was not aware until i came across a Polish website and ASR forum that had done proper reviews.Else i would have overlooked for sure.

Yes .The AS701/801 are a way to experience the Yamaha sound signature for the AS XXX series from AS301 upwards that gets progressively better upto to AS701/AS801.
However as per folks in the forums i mentioned clearly state that AS801 and AS1100/1200 series upwards are different in sound signature/presentation.Note its different ,not better ! So they have clearly stated - The AS1100/1200 is NOT a better sound signature version of AS701,AS801 .Offcourse its upto individuals to take a call. The folks who have done side by side demo's at home have shared there findings.So IMO that works for me as a guidance as these possibilities dont exist in India for now atleast.
The AS1100/1200 topology and output devices are different and some other aspects too as mentioned by you.
Even Marantz has a similar approach. Lower and higher Marantz models are quite different in their signature.

Yamaha AS 1000 user here.Prior to AS1000, I had the Yamaha RS700 which share similar specs from memory to the AS 500/AS 700.But that amp was a total disappointment. It had plenty of power, but it was just a bright amp with no refinement .The sound difference is night and day with AS1000.Dont know about AS801performance.But if you can get a used AS 1000 or 2000 you have better value for money I would say. I am replacing my Yamaha AS1000 with a Esoteric i05 integrated and have both amps with me.I can tell you one thing,yes the Esoteric is better . But you pay 2 or 3 times more even in the used market for it. And the difference is not by a big margin.The Yamaha competes well.Yamaha has a character and it conveys emotions really well through my Harbeth 30.1 speakers.More than the sound signature ,the control,composure, resolution,nuance ,micro details etc is what matters I guess and this is what will differentiate As xxx with Asxxxx in my humble opinion.

5. Beautiful meters

hi i have A-S 801 since 2016 and never thinking of changing and upgrading with anyone, its superb amp in this price range.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back