Yamaha Rx-397 & 497 - please comment

manishk13

Hi

I have a 5.1 HT in my main HT room. For my living and bedroom areas, I am looking for a mid-range amplifier as I primarily listen to music (all sorts) and dont feel the need for HT on these 2 secondary areas.

Based on reviews on net as well as India What H-fi, I have selected Yamaha Rx-397/497, as it seems to have good reviews, has a built in FM radio, has 2 speaker outputs (switchable) so, seems to satisfy my criteria.

Can someone comment if this is a good choice and how much should I expect to pay in Bangalore and from where should I source it?

Also, ideas on which 50-75 watt bookshelf speakers to match (Whargedale 9.0?) would be helpful

Thanks
Manish

Hi Manish,

Yamaha India site leads you to 2 dealers in Bangalore, who are exclusive Yamaha dealers. What is interesting for me was that, the Indiranagar chap even offered a ready setup which could be auditioned any day of the week. My past experience is that dealers expect a day or two advance notice to have a stereo receiver setup.

Just FYI, the 497 with a pair of Yamaha floor-standers (forgot the exact model) was offered to me at 38k. I still haven't finalised my decision.

ciao,
Pannags

there are quite a few other amplifiers out there - marantz, nad, onkyo etc. personally im not a yamaha fan. little muddy and not so detailed for my liking. whats your budget

I am narrowed down on the RX-497 (if I do decide on a stereo amp and not an AVR). The auditions are due though. Wonder if it makes sense to buy Yamaha speakers to pair the amp as the prices in India seem to be very competitive for Yamaha :D

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back