Need help deciding between two LED's

Status
Not open for further replies.
It should be around the same price as the 46 inch HX925 but the picture quality of VT30 is in a different league altogether.

Plasma displays pure picture with zero back light nonsense.

It should be around the same price as the 46 inch HX925 but the picture quality of VT30 is in a different league altogether.

Plasma displays pure picture with zero back light nonsense.

I gotta visit the showroom and see that myself...

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

The VT50 is a good tv,but the HX925 is more then a match it has the contrast edge in daytime as well.Picture doesn't wash out with ambient light hitting the screen.

Compared to the E8000 the HX925 is a backlight based local dimming tv ,it also has superior off axis viewing.

Chad B one of the most respected calibrators out there rates the HX925 above the Vt30.

Looks like Chad B also noticed the same clouding effect which is present in most of the local dimming LCD's.

To test the HX929's haloing, I found a "torture test" image that featured a mixture of very dark and bright objects, paused it, and turned out the lights. I found that haloing was obvious off axis, as expected. However, even on axis, it was quite distracting, especially around the screen edges

This effect will ruin the viewing experience when watching movie from a dim lit environment unless some one has very poor eye site not to notice this.

I seen many movies in a kuro 500m 60" from around 7 feet away and it was simply mind blowing in terms of all aspects of pic quality, that's the benefit of back light being absent where LCD are handicapped and need the help of back lighting to show decent picture.

I've also watched movies sitting pretty close to a 64" VT30 and Samsung 8000 series and they were excellent in their own ways, i am yet to see an LCD which shows proper picture without the distracting and over powering back light.

I am pretty sure people who own both plasma and LCD like i do after long term viewing experience will always prefer plasma.

Last edited:
At off axis even the Sharp elite has haloing,but one has to be unfortunate to view at those off axis angles.

Not all lcds have the same amount of clouding it varies from one unit to other.

here is the same HX929 from flatpanelshd review
sonyhx920_small18.jpg

"Sony HX929 has no problems with clouding - fantastic. This is very common on backlit LED models with local dimming and we love it".

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-kdl-55hx923-p11157/test.html

Ultimately Chad B conclusion is
"I had been very impressed with Sony's 52HX909, so I was expecting great performance from the HX929. Boy, did I get it! The HX929's image proved to be both exciting and accurate after calibration; in other words, it has a huge "Wow!" factor. I saw superb color and pop; rich but not overdone flesh tones; and truly black backgrounds. The image had excellent fine detail, and pans and motion looked very good. Dark objects in images were stable and true: they were not too dark that they sunk into the black background, but not so bright that they looked washed out or exaggerated. Overall picture quality was very Kuro-esque; rich contrast, vibrant, and true to life."

As far as people who own both plasma and lcds preferring plasmas ,i have seen people in forums migrating to lcds ,even in the premium range from Pioneer kuro to a sharp elite.Not all sit and watch in dark rooms or environment.

To test the HX929's haloing, I found a "torture test" image that featured a mixture of very dark and bright objects, paused it, and turned out the lights. I found that haloing was obvious off axis, as expected. However, even on axis, it was quite distracting, especially around the screen edges, when viewing up close (around 7 feet away). It was only somewhat noticeable at 8-9 feet. As I moved farther from the screen, the effect diminished until it was no longer very noticeable at about 13 feet. The distance that I considered the best compromise between image size and haloing was around 10 feet. Even if the viewer's head is at the center of the screen, the screen corners are going to be at a sharper off axis angle at 5 feet away than at 15 feet away. At long distances, the angle is shallow enough to have little or no impact on the image. Even with conventional LCDs there may be problems with color and contrast around the edges when viewing too close, due to similar off axis degradation. Haloing is not unique to this TV; it's a price that has to be paid for the greatly increased contrast of a local dimming LED set. All else being equal, it will be less noticeable on a set with more zones and more noticeable on a set with fewer zones.

Sonys HX929, also unchanged from last year, remains my favorite current LED LCD, with excellent color and overall picture quality. As with the Elite, the HX929s black levels and contrast can beat the VT50, though the HX929s blooming and off axis degradation are enough to at least even the score.

So u can reduce the haloing by sitting at a particular distance..but tell me a way to get "excellent color and overall picture quality" by any other means.

from the same flatpanelhd site.

However, as with all local dimming TVs HX929 creates halos because of too few LED zones. The halos are less visible from the front than from an angle but you will see halos, no doubt. Sony has not really reduced the halo issues much from last years HX909/HX900 model and that is a shame. Another aspect of the local dimming system is that fact that it can crush shadow detailing in very dark movie scenes and games.

Sony HX929 / HX920 review - FlatpanelsHD

So with all due respect to chad comparing this flawed TV with kuro is like :D

It has a real time black level of 0.08 cd/m2 and that sure is the best black level, so much better than even the VT50 and Kuro 500m.:D

Blacks & Whites - Sony Bravia XBR-46HX929 LED LCD 3D HDTV Review

flatpanels HD 0.0 cdm/2
Cnet Black luminance 0.0001 ft/lm

The 0.08 is from a non dimmed zone or with dimming off since in a dimmed zone it cannot be measured and thats from televisioninfo who have the Sony measurements taken at their settings of 400Cd/m2+.

HDTVtest UK with the calibirated settings measured 0.05cdm/2 in non dimmed zone .

fullhdgr measurments
"In 13% white window (peak brightness) yielded the TV black level and 0,02 nits brightness 82 nits.
In box 50% white television gave black level and 0,02 nits brightness 87 nits.
The card fee Chess Board, which approximates the most realistic way of behavior we all TV black level with an average of 0,04 nits [from 0.01 to 0.03] and brightness from 50 to 60 nits, which betrays a highly unequal distribution of only 9%."

The measurements done are in a pitch dark room and a black blanket covering the screen.

The slightest amount of light will lead to a loss in black levels and contrast.

Real world contrast matters in day time or in a room with ambient light hitting the screen,where lcds score.

In really bright rooms lcds have the sheer brightness advantage the HX92 for eg can go to 400+cd/m2 if the need arises to defeat glare.

here is the great brightness of the VT30 from televisioninfo add to the fact that plasma wash out more if light hit their screen.
Panasonic-TC-P55VT30-whitefalloff.jpg

Guys, no point arguing with someone who obviously is here just to troll and nothing else.
He seeks pleasure from posting on every single thread that has anything to do with Sony and post all negative reviews and try to make others believe how pathetic Sony Televisions are.

Ignore him ! :)

Honestly I am sick of this guy and his sick personal attacks on the brand on every single thread about Sony.

So please don't bother replying to him from now on. Let him post whatever he wants to post.

One should always take online reviews of most products with a pinch of salt. Though it gives you some idea they hide what can repel buyers. I remember the days when I was planning a 46 inch led backlit tv which I could connect to my laptop via d- sub. The Sony models had a glitch that they could not do 1080p over d-sub and this was not mentioned anywhere. I finally bought the 6 series Samsung edge lit led (fortunately one of the better panels of the Samsung lottery system). The led systems inherently have the problem of backligh bleeding at the edges. However I am satisfied with the overall picture quality. I would prefer an led for the living room tv which is on 24 x 7 with the plasmas being the better pick for a home theatre.

Sony's d-sub input supports 1080p @67.5khz horizontal freq/60hz vertical frequency..I have checked on my tv with laptop. Also now a days most of laptops has hdmi port.

Sony LCDs are very good, but you should demo the models. I found the HX750 to be utterly crap. Where Sony lost their way is pricing. It is like those Maharajas of yore resting on laurels. This year HX850 is superb though I wish the 55" was approx 1.7L or less.

Flatpanelshd reviews are not too good. They admit that their measurement tools cannot give accurate readings of black levels. 0.0 is not a reading, but stated so as their equipment cannot measure. I find hdtvtest much more reliable. Also, avforums makes for interesting read. Whathifi is full of adjectives, their reviews are colored.

In the end, online reviews are just indicators. Don't trust them too much. Take your on movies on dvd/bluray for demo.

Coming to topic of Sony, it is just another TV manufacturer. They aren't breaking any grounds with LCDs as they did with their CTVs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

So according to you Sony is doing no ground breaking R&D in flat panel(reason for producing crap television)..but using other manufacturer's panel they achieve far better pic quality than the original manufacturers of flat panel..can u pls explain why?

Last edited:
Sony any day for its amazing picture quality even on sd content.

Last edited:
0.0 cdm/2 is the reading when screen is fully dark(all led's turned off) and that's useless in real world, even my 55" EX 720(which is the second worst TV at my home) shows fairly dark screen when it is fully dark but when i play the dark ship wreck scene in the scene from kingdom of heaven it fails, while my plasma shows all the details and yet appears darker.

Sony did ground breaking research in flat panel? lol, when pioneer was able to display full 1080 lines of motion ages ago Sony was struggling with their LCD to display 600 lines, when Philips were using triple core processor for picture processing in their flagship Sony was still stuck with single core processor. Sony is just another average electronic brand which is also a sinking ship, however Sony did make some really great products in the 80's.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back