TRAI Guidelines for Digital Cable TV & DTH effective 1st Feb 2019

Maximum price of a channel is Rs 19 exclusive of 18% GST.......if you possibly add gst...it may work out to the same......it is clearly mentioned on TRAI site GST is not inlcuded.....once you use the tool and make your selection...the actual price with GST is shown on the result page

Tried the TRAI link (thanks to @efernand1)
Star Sports 1/2, Star Sports Select 1/2, Sony Ten 1/2/3, Sony Six, Sony ESPN (all HD)
Added some Kannada and English FTA channels
Channel count is 34 (FTA) + 12 (paid)
Bill comes to 99/- (for paid channels) + 130/- (for NCF) + 42/- (for GST) = Rs. 271/- pm
Sony has a sports only pack. Star does not have it.
Still does not convince me to go back to DTH.
Will wait and see if Star/Sony is interested in dropping rates further :)

Cheers,
Raghu

Update:

I have rocked Hathways world and had given them ultimate if no proper support or response....I will end my 15 years + subscription and also complain to TRAI......(actually I contacted TRAI last week and they reverted back yday asking for my subscription account details).

Apparently some so called Management staff of hahway are trying now to get their compliance's RIGHT as per TRAI ; )

As per TRAI, I made my pack of all viewed HD channels, Sports channels, the usual serial channels (in case my mom or inlaws come over...so it should be there )....total is Rs 594 per month...right now I was paying 500 per month.....as per Hathway online form....the same channels and packs was working out to 690.......so indeed something wrong somewhere.....

Star Sports 1/2, Star Sports Select 1/2, Sony Ten 1/2/3, Sony Six, Sony ESPN (all HD)
Bill comes to 99/- (for paid channels) + 130/- (for NCF) + 42/- (for GST) = Rs. 271/- pm

Cheers,
Raghu
I dont get good quality sports feed in any app whether seen on device or cast on TV or seen through TV app. that is the only thing tethering me to DTH even now. Star has deliberately not included a sports pack with HD. Even if they do the max discount wrt a la carte can only be 15% as per the new TRAI rules.

I dont get good quality sports feed in any app whether seen on device or cast on TV or seen through TV app. that is the only thing tethering me to DTH even now. Star has deliberately not included a sports pack with HD. Even if they do the max discount wrt a la carte can only be 15% as per the new TRAI rules.
Same here. Not really enjoying live sports on HotStar or SonyLiv.
But then, I'll wait to see if there will be any revision of policy from TRAI or service provider.

TRAI has only fixed a max cap on channel pricing. Broadcasters may choose to price lower than cap.
Really hoping that broadcasters get a taste of their own medicine.
If demand dries up, they will have no option, but reduce prices.

Cheers,
Raghu

Cheers,
Raghu
If you took Tata Sky wont you have to pay Rs175/m HD activation (but recurring) fee?

If you choose wise, you can save the money. 25 Doordarshan Channels are mandatory. add pay channels pack and after that add some free channels to make total count of 100 channels. This way you can avoid additional NCF charges. If it goes beyond 100, choose a pack in a multiple of 25 channels.

If you took Tata Sky wont you have to pay Rs175/m HD activation (but recurring) fee?
Now they can't ask for HD Activation Fee.

Dropped all movie channels. Took all the sports channel's, few Disney and cartoon for my kid's and a couple of discovery channel's. I have 3 TV's. Earlier I was paying 1200 pm now I'm paying 1500 pm, with only a handful of channel's.

Post edited deleting profanity

Last edited by a moderator:
Dropped all movie channels. Took all the sports channel's, few Disney and cartoon for my kid's and a couple of discovery channel's. I have 3 TV's. Earlier I was paying 1200 pm now I'm paying 1500 pm, with only a handful of channel's.

Hmmm ...
Makes sense to wait and watch.
If some channels don't get enough subscription then broadcaster has to reduce price or drop the channel.
In the long run, I feel it will weed out not so popular TV content.

Regards,
Raghu

It is bad as it looks.....another regulation is that 1 HD channel for calculation purpose is 2 SD channels for Network Capacity fees.......

I told them to disconnect as most content is available online streaming and various other websites....

It is bad as it looks.....another regulation is that 1 HD channel for calculation purpose is 2 SD channels for Network Capacity fees.......

I told them to disconnect as most content is available online streaming and various other websites....
HD transmission needs more bandwidth than SD; hence 2x count towards NCF.
If one is already on subscription model or VoD, then having DTH/Cable alongside may be redundant.
Except sports, I have not experienced a dearth of quality content across Netflix/Prime/HotStar/SonyLiv.
But then my family's viewing habits don't fall into "normal Indian family TV habits".
Cheers,
Raghu

I got screwed in the multi tv. Earlier it was 200 now it's become 400 per tv per month.

Nothing changed in Airtel DTH. Previous plan continues till now. Had opted for something far cheaper a few days back. Will wait and see

No idea about the extension as this is what had come a couple of days back...

https://economictimes.indiatimes.co...companies-trai-chief/articleshow/67732907.cms

Word locally floating around is that this is a huge exercise to shift from existing subscriptions to the tailored ones.....one month extension was not enough.....possibly another 15 days extension? Another tale suggest all this to be completed by 31st March 2019.

As for me, I asked for disconnection of service and informed Hathway to refund me Feb 2019 amount as I had paid for the year which was valid till Feb end. Their website is not even updated properly to fill the online form ...broadcaster bouquets which can save some money seem to be deliberately not updated so that one is forced on A La Carte.....or take their ridiculous prepared packs which are not pocket friendly and tailored for a certain section of society viewership.

So far, my cable line is still on and all channels are still being Aired!

Lets see!

The pdf link you have shared was shared with me when i raised a formal complaint in Dec 2018. There is the online form section....

http://hathway.com/Digital/OnlinePlanRequestForm

This needs to be updated....

the following packs were missing and I was assured today that it will be updated soon.....EoD.

Disney Universal Bouquet Pack Rs 10 (7 channels) SD

https://www.disney.in/channel-distribution/bouquet

Sony Pictures – Happy India Platinum 69 (A) Rs 69 (15 Channels)

https://www.setindia.com/in-en/tnc/14/distribution-rate-card

Zee Prime Pack English Rs 25 (4 channels) SD

https://www.zeeentertainment.com/zee-family-pack/

STAR Hindi – Premium Pack Rs 79 (19 channels)

https://www.startv.com/channel-packs/

If this is done then all my required channels in SD are fulfilled. The TRAI decision on one HD = two SD channels for NCF calculation is shocking..else besides the HD high cost.....will be paying additional 60 to 100 as NCF.....so once when it comes down as one is to one ration then will shift to HD ,,,,

All channels which has some viewers is rated at the maximum of Rs.19+ tax. No body is watching all these channels all the time. My advice is that we must choose only the unavoidable ones now. This will force the channel owners to reduce the charges and they may even make it free. Let us use our control given by TRAI now.

For now...Hathway is still updating their website with the missing broadcaster packs and so far there is no cable blackout.....I am watching 2012 over Star Movies HD at the moment......

They have assured no blackout.....so far I am a happy camper at the moment.....

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back