Tube Amp/SET/300 Boyyurange A50, MKIII

AP@1992

1. Backdrop/ Context

The Boyyurange MT34 EL34 tube charted me to a tube Amplification path of no return.

Since than, I have upgraded to a Cayin A-88T MK2 (with NOS Mullards EL34 XF2, NOS Tungsol 6SL7 Smoked glass and NOS Tungsol 6SN7 GT). This has been my reference set up and I love the warm, rich, big and adequately detailed sound it produces. Swapping the UK 6NS7 PSvane, makes it holographic to a eerily level, at the expense of base definition and detail.

PS. Cayin is fed by Eversolo A6ME -- USB--Pontus II via XLR to RCA (2549 Mogami). This is my preferred choice of front end feeding into Cayin (than to Dali Ob5 via Tellurium Black II)

Using Pontus II RCA (via 2803 IC Mogami or 2497) gives a unique sound presentation which suits certain particular genre well and others not so well. Using Pontus II XLR to RCA (2549) gives the a sonic presentation which sounds good across various genres. Whether it's XLR out of Pontus II or 2549 IC, can't say which one does the trick. Whatever sails the boat.

Pontus II replaced my Weiss Minvera. Which one is better, a post for a different day. Pontus II however has better compatibility due to its slight warmth which helps in controlling sibilance/glare in not so great components/music.

Courtesy the aforesaid, I have sold off all my SS AMP as well Boyyurange EL34 and happy with the current one.

'Curiosity kills the cat'. With the funds accuired by selling unused gears, I bought the Boyyurange A50MK III 300B SET amp. Primarily since it's cheaper and I needed to get a flavour of 300B/SET amp just to see whether that is where I should head. I had great experience with the previous Boyyurange amp and hoped the same.

Now my Cayin with upgraded tubes, in today's money can set you back approx 3 lakhs or more. So I will review the Boyyurange in that context, being less that 1/3 of the price.

2. Boyyurange 300B

Out of the box there is less drive and dynamics. Touch sharp, may be due to those cheap Russian driver tubes or lack of burn in.

Swapped stock 6SN7 with NOS Tungsol and 5Z3P rectifier with Mullards GZ34 NOS. What I observed, are as follows:

A) Better drive and dynamics. Not Cayin level. Easy to feel the slight lack of power but in my small room was able to drive Dali's to decent levels.

b) there is sizzling clarity across the midband and voices are delivered with a unique ease. May be a SET/300b thing. Don't know for sure.

C) Amp is quiet and background very dark. This helps in that clarity in the mid band I guess.

D) Base is decent but nothing to write home about.

E) Sound stage and depth is very close to Cayin. That's a big big compliment.

F) Not as warm or rich like the EL34 and less textured. May be that's a EL thing or simply the difference since I am using a NOS Mullards EL34 known for being rich and warm and comparing it with a a cheap (in 300b world) 300b PSvane which is known to be detailed. However, this less of texture helps in details and makes the sound less veiled and more open. It's not rich or warm only in comparison to Cayin otherwise, I would rate this as a warmer amp with no fatigue at all.

As I played along, for days, there is some ease to sound, it's clear but not fatiguing and sharp and if you stick to Jazz/Ghazal/blues, there is a sense of addiction. Also, my speaker are 7 feet from the listening position, that lack of power is somewhat compensated. But it's unbelievable how 6 odd watts drive my Dali to a very decent level. May be that's a SET thing as well.

(The Rectifier GZ34 is not a replacement for 5Z3P/5U4G but adding that seems to make the amp more powerful. Expert comments are solicited here)

3. Take homes:

SET amps specially 300b tubes, partnering is key. I don't know how easy/difficult load my Dali's present, but a highly efficient speaker may really perform well this amp.

Since I have struggled to upgrade Dali's, I am using this 300b to play my Jazz collection for the moment and its a really enjoyable listen.

So, Whether I am fascinated enough to jump on SET/300b bandwagon ? no not at this moment, unless someone is kind enough to loan tme a better 300b tube and highly efficient speaker to see what these amp can truly do, I will hold off.

But this amp didn't disappoint. There is some quality to it and when/where it's performs it comes very very close to my reference set up. Also, the price at which it is offered, may well be a gateway into SET/300b and folks may thereafter charter their path to the real deals (DIY or exotic offerings from various brands).

Attachments

• IMG20240510142128-01.jpeg
    IMG20240510142128-01.jpeg
    168.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG20240510153409-01.jpeg
    IMG20240510153409-01.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
1. Backdrop/ Context

The Boyyurange MT34 EL34 tube charted me to a tube Amplification path of no return.

Since than, I have upgraded to a Cayin A-88T MK2 (with NOS Mullards EL34 XF2, NOS Tungsol 6SL7 Smoked glass and NOS Tungsol 6SN7 GT). This has been my reference set up and I love the warm, rich, big and adequately detailed sound it produces. Swapping the UK 6NS7 PSvane, makes it holographic to a eerily level, at the expense of base definition and detail.

PS. Cayin is fed by Eversolo A6ME -- USB--Pontus II via XLR to RCA (2549 Mogami). This is my preferred choice of front end feeding into Cayin (than to Dali Ob5 via Tellurium Black II)

Using Pontus II RCA (via 2803 IC Mogami or 2497) gives a unique sound presentation which suits certain particular genre well and others not so well. Using Pontus II XLR to RCA (2549) gives the a sonic presentation which sounds good across various genres. Whether it's XLR out of Pontus II or 2549 IC, can't say which one does the trick. Whatever sails the boat.

Pontus II replaced my Weiss Minvera. Which one is better, a post for a different day. Pontus II however has better compatibility due to its slight warmth which helps in controlling sibilance/glare in not so great components/music.

Courtesy the aforesaid, I have sold off all my SS AMP as well Boyyurange EL34 and happy with the current one.

'Curiosity kills the cat'. With the funds accuired by selling unused gears, I bought the Boyyurange A50MK III 300B SET amp. Primarily since it's cheaper and I needed to get a flavour of 300B/SET amp just to see whether that is where I should head. I had great experience with the previous Boyyurange amp and hoped the same.

Now my Cayin with upgraded tubes, in today's money can set you back approx 3 lakhs or more. So I will review the Boyyurange in that context, being less that 1/3 of the price.

2. Boyyurange 300B

Out of the box there is less drive and dynamics. Touch sharp, may be due to those cheap Russian driver tubes or lack of burn in.

Swapped stock 6SN7 with NOS Tungsol and 5Z3P rectifier with Mullards GZ34 NOS. What I observed, are as follows:

A) Better drive and dynamics. Not Cayin level. Easy to feel the slight lack of power but in my small room was able to drive Dali's to decent levels.

b) there is sizzling clarity across the midband and voices are delivered with a unique ease. May be a SET/300b thing. Don't know for sure.

C) Amp is quiet and background very dark. This helps in that clarity in the mid band I guess.

D) Base is decent but nothing to write home about.

E) Sound stage and depth is very close to Cayin. That's a big big compliment.

F) Not as warm or rich like the EL34 and less textured. May be that's a EL thing or simply the difference since I am using a NOS Mullards EL34 known for being rich and warm and comparing it with a a cheap (in 300b world) 300b PSvane which is known to be detailed. However, this less of texture helps in details and makes the sound less veiled and more open. It's not rich or warm only in comparison to Cayin otherwise, I would rate this as a warmer amp with no fatigue at all.

As I played along, for days, there is some ease to sound, it's clear but not fatiguing and sharp and if you stick to Jazz/Ghazal/blues, there is a sense of addiction. Also, my speaker are 7 feet from the listening position, that lack of power is somewhat compensated. But it's unbelievable how 6 odd watts drive my Dali to a very decent level. May be that's a SET thing as well.

(The Rectifier GZ34 is not a replacement for 5Z3P/5U4G but adding that seems to make the amp more powerful. Expert comments are solicited here)

3. Take homes:

SET amps specially 300b tubes, partnering is key. I don't know how easy/difficult load my Dali's present, but a highly efficient speaker may really perform well this amp.

Since I have struggled to upgrade Dali's, I am using this 300b to play my Jazz collection for the moment and its a really enjoyable listen.

So, Whether I am fascinated enough to jump on SET/300b bandwagon ? no not at this moment, unless someone is kind enough to loan tme a better 300b tube and highly efficient speaker to see what these amp can truly do, I will hold off.

But this amp didn't disappoint. There is some quality to it and when/where it's performs it comes very very close to my reference set up. Also, the price at which it is offered, may well be a gateway into SET/300b and folks may thereafter charter their path to the real deals (DIY or exotic offerings from various brands).
your system looks asthetic and am sure sounds fantastic, but you could avoid the audiophile socks next time in the image :)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back