DIY Super Simple Preamp

I have purchased a 47k vol pot as well. should I use it or can I use the Norge's one that's already being used by default? Can it be used in parallel; but just one pre-amp using it?
I dont think pot could be paralleled. You need to add it separately for SSP, so you can bypass it for SSP use if source has volume control. Otherwise it looks like another pot in front panel. Somebody may have better idea.

If so, will there be a backward flow of audio signals to the SSP when the built in pre is on? And is it harmful for the SSP?
I don't see any issue for backward flow etc. We use 'Y' joint for bi-amping, no issues.

Parallel in a sense that; both the preamps will be physically connected to the volume pot(in parallel) but in action, only one preamp will be powered on. Will that to pose a problem?

Do you want to add ssp in parallel? Then you can use this volume pot parallel.
If you want to use either of preamp,then you need to make a special switch which can activate one circuit at a time.

Hi !

I bought the components from the local electronics store but they didn't had the AD823 or AD822N. They had only the AD820 which I bought.

So, can I use the AD820 ?

Hi !

I bought the components from the local electronics store but they didn't had the AD823 or AD822N. They had only the AD820 which I bought.

So, can I use the AD820 ?
It appears to have a different pinout. the 823 is a dual, the 820 is a single, so you can;t use the same PCB

It appears to have a different pinout. the 823 is a dual, the 820 is a single, so you can;t use the same PCB
OH oh !
Didn't know that !
BTW, I'm using a general purpose pcb. So, I can change the connections if some one show me how to do it (with 2x AD820) :eek:

Can you guys recommend a similar opamp which starts in an another series (I mean other that the ADXXX series)

OT:
OK, I'll explain my problem here.
I have an LM3886 amp but for me, its not loud enough. According to Bibin, my source (PC) can be the reason as it have very low signal o/p and he wants me to try the SSP before buying a more powerful integrated amp. I already got an offer for an amp from an FM and just want the preamp to be done and test my DIY amp to make the final decision.

So...

Hello,

Are SSP kits still available? I would like to build one for norge2060.

I am from Bangalore, My setup is:
Oppo bdp-93 (nuforce edition, It uses opa2134 at output stage) --> Norge 2060 --> Norge Millinium speakers.

Looking at Murli sir's review in other thread, opa2134 went well with norge.

Regards
Srinivas Sutrave

It sounds good sachin :) Thanks to you,
I am impressed with lm4562, Now the sound stage is wider, little more bass :),
Guess it will open up more after burn-in.

opa2132 sounds 'laid-back' as experienced by other users, so i replaced it with lm4562, (thanks for providing it for experience)

How does lm49990 compare with lm4562? does it have similar signature? Will i be able to make out difference in sound with norge 2060 --> norge millennium speakers.

Regards
Srinivas Sutrave

How does lm49990 compare with lm4562? does it have similar signature? Will i be able to make out difference in sound with norge 2060 --> norge millennium speakers.
e

lm49990 is warm,but musical than stock opsamp.Treble is sweet and not thin.Timber is better. Dont know about lm4562.

Hi srinivas,

If you feel 2134 is laid back, then I think your setup sounds very neutral, (i.e your source and speakers). Pl try 1612 OPAMP it will sound very revealing in a neutral setup. Also you can try 49990 Opamp, which will also sound good.
Compared to 4562 these 2 Opamps sound very transparent and fast.

N.Murali

Thank you Murli sir,

I will sure try opa1612/lme49990.

sachu888, do you by any chance still have these on a dip adaptor? :)

Thanks Regards

Srinivas

with lme49990, mids sound very forward, I remember reading in other thread that mids are affected when using higher voltage (+/- 15v), let me try with lower voltage,
will replace those lm7815/7915 with 7809/7909 pair.

I added the SSP to my Norge 2060, with lm4562 opamp. The sound is now much better than stock preamp, with great separation and mid/highs. Thanks sachu888 for providing the kit, and murali_n for suggesting using SSP with Norge. I used the amp's power supply and existing volume pot (the pot I had was too big for amp's existing hole). All in all a fun project with great results!

Cheers!

I have one extra SSP with me ,if some one from Mumbai need it,please PM me.
I have taken Sachin's permission for posting here.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back