Improving Stereo performance in my HT setup

Raj22

Hi guys, I’m a bit in a dilemma:

Currently, I m using SR5015 Marantz with Kef R3, Kef R2C, Kef Q150 (surrounds) Polk RC60i atmos, SVS PB 2000.

I’m looking to improve stereo performance and have been hunting IA with streaming and ht bypass.

Note: I cannot have separate streamer + IA, it should be one box which also supports HT bypass to integrate with my AVR. And it has been a bit tricky.

I have considered SA30, CA Evo 150, Lyngdorf TDAI 1120, well all of these expensive solutions. and I don’t have space to add too many boxes as this is a living room setup. Smaller form factors like Evo 150 are desired.

So my question is, what if I swap SR5015 with AVR10 from Arcam? This will make it very easy in terms of placement as it will just replace the existing AVR.

Will this be a significant upgrade on stereo performance?

Both Arcam AVR and IA with HT bypass + streaming are expensive solutions.

And my listening is only going to be streaming Apple Music via airplay 2 / Spotify in certain cases via Spotify connect.

Last edited:
Marantz SR5015 is a good AVR for stereo. Wonder what are you missing?

This is a list of IA or Pre amplifiers with HT bypass option. The list gets updated too.

I was in the same boat, but then went for separates.

Few ones which are under 80-90k are Marantz 8006 and Audiolab 6000a

Marantz SR5015 is a good AVR for stereo. Wonder what are you missing?

This is a list of IA or Pre amplifiers with HT bypass option. The list gets updated too.

I was in the same boat, but then went for separates.

Few ones which are under 80-90k are Marantz 8006 and Audiolab 6000a
I was fine initially with the 5015 and made a mistake of bringing a good friend’s dac and saw what the R3 can sound like and my ears are spoilt now. Yeah I follow this link for the updated list.
Definitely no separates for me.

My main question is, will Arcam AVR 10 make a good amount of difference for stereo while it’s also going to make home theatre better too.

@Raj22 - though I have never heard the ARCAM AVRs, but like many here I have been researching these for a few months, my research however has been specifically pointed at Arcam AVR20 and I have to say I am yet to hear anything (very) bad about it. I read somewhere where a forum reviewer called it a multi channel stereo amp, such is the performance of the AVR (though it means nothing). Regardless from all I have been reading, for the price these AVRs are definitely to be ignored at your own peril and perhaps the only company that gives the specification for all channel driven at 8 & 4 ohms - in the case of AVR 20 it is 90 & 110 W respectively all 7 channels driven - that is a lot of power for the price. From the reviews it also seems that the processor is a mean machine with a well received DAC in there too.

My only hesitation has been with no clarity on (officially) - whether it supports Dolby Vision, No HDMI 2.1, no HDR specs. Otherwise on paper it look amazing!

Now to answer your question - only you can be the judge of whether or not it will make a "positive/expected/fantasised" change from your current presentation, however if you go by what's on paper - it "definitely should".

@Raj22 - though I have never heard the ARCAM AVRs, but like many here I have been researching these for a few months, my research however has been specifically pointed at Arcam AVR20 and I have to say I am yet to hear anything (very) bad about it. I read somewhere where a forum reviewer called it a multi channel stereo amp, such is the performance of the AVR (though it means nothing). Regardless from all I have been reading, for the price these AVRs are definitely to be ignored at your own peril and perhaps the only company that gives the specification for all channel driven at 8 & 4 ohms - in the case of AVR 20 it is 90 & 110 W respectively all 7 channels driven - that is a lot of power for the price. From the reviews it also seems that the processor is a mean machine with a well received DAC in there too.

My only hesitation has been with no clarity on (officially) - whether it supports Dolby Vision, No HDMI 2.1, no HDR specs. Otherwise on paper it look amazing!

Now to answer your question - only you can be the judge of whether or not it will make a "positive/expected/fantasised" change from your current presentation, however if you go by what's on paper - it "definitely should".
Thank you for your inputs. Yes, I have been reading all good about Arcam too, AVR 10 cost itself is killing me, 20 is definitely not possible for me.
Arcam also recently released AVR 5, not sure how that is. It’s sad we can’t get audition for any of these.

Then why not get a PA & DAC combo :p
HT experience also will get elevated once you add PA for front channels, check with the AVR DAC and try adding a DAC down the line.
Haha, I can’t place multiple boxes and aesthetically it’s not pleasing either.
Honestly I’m very happy with my avr in terms of HT and when I tested movies with the pa, it didn’t feel like I gained much other than another additional box. :p

In a few words, a pure stereo chain will better an HT chain. Have you checked out the AL6000A? I think that has an HT bypass and options to use a Pre, as a power amp or even an integrated amp. Not sure about streaming.

MaSh

In a few words, a pure stereo chain will better an HT chain. Have you checked out the AL6000A? I think that has an HT bypass and options to use a Pre, as a power amp or even an integrated amp. Not sure about streaming.

MaSh
Yeah, no streaming available in that.

MaSh
Yeah, no streaming available in that.

Audiolab 6000A Play has everything.

Audiolab 6000A Play has everything.

Yes it’s great…. Well wait for it, there’s a but unfortunately. It doesn’t do airplay.
All streaming has to be via DTS PlayFi app which i read is not good.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, I would definitely consider it and probably end up buying it.

Yes it’s great…. Well wait for it, there’s a but unfortunately. It doesn’t do airplay.
All streaming has to be via DTS PlayFi app which i read is not good.
Please correct me if I’m wrong, I would definitely consider it and probably end up buying it.
How about getting the Simple AL600a if that is available and adding an Allo Digione? Airplay works great on my Digione and it's palm-sized, you can tuck it in anywhere out of sight.

MaSh

How about getting the Simple AL600a if that is available and adding an Allo Digione? Airplay works great on my Digione and it's palm-sized, you can tuck it in anywhere out of sight.

MaSh
That’s sounds interesting, I’ll read more about it.

Well I have gone through this and I am not sure if this is the path I want to take. Thank you Mash. It’s good to know about this solution.

I was fine initially with the 5015 and made a mistake of bringing a good friend’s dac and saw what the R3 can sound like and my ears are spoilt now. Yeah I follow this link for the updated list.
Definitely no separates for me.

My main question is, will Arcam AVR 10 make a good amount of difference for stereo while it’s also going to make home theatre better too.
Welcome to the madness :D
Have heard the R3 at a fellow FMs place. Wonderful speakers when positioned properly.
Cheers,
Raghu

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back