PeeCeeBee v5 - Monoblocks build:

hydrovac

Hi all,
Recd the v5 amp modules some time back... will start my first ever PeeCeeBee amp build soon.

1701857175844.png

The heat sink...
1701857305697.png

PSU modules: 4x15000 uf 100vdc... trafo will be 35-0-35 600va on each channel.
1701857385063.png

1701857821003.png

Transformers
35-0-35 @ 600vA
12-0-12 @ 2Amp
0-9 @ 1amp
1701857950725.jpeg

Proposed chassis model: front view
1701858297628.png

Rear view: yet to get them made
1701858321451.png

Attachments

• 1701858184839.png
    1701858184839.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Acc to me, you will need to either remove the top and bottom plates covering the heatsink fins, OR, make longitudinal vents on those plates [shown in red] if getting rid of those plates is not an option OR mount a fan on the back of the heatsink otherwise there will be heat trapped in that "enclosure" formed around the heatsink.

1701871762344.png

I doubt that. Those are fantastic heatsinks with very large surface area for self cooling.

Was the supplier overprotective to safeguard the fins during transit ?
These heatsinks where primarily developed for IGBT module cooling or where power dissipation is very high , and those covers on the fins were actually to form a tunnel and a fan placed on one or either end , the tunnel helps channelize the air flow better

I doubt that. Those are fantastic heatsinks with very large surface area for self cooling.

Was the supplier overprotective to safeguard the fins during transit ?
They were designed for forced cooling. If you closely observe, you will find fan mounting holes only on one end...

These heatsinks where primarily developed for IGBT module cooling or where power dissipation is very high , and those covers on the fins were actually to form a tunnel and a fan placed on one or either end , the tunnel helps channelize the air flow better.
You are right, just confirmed with my friend who gave me the heat sinks... it was indeed extracted from a 10Kva UPS which was scrapped.

Ok. My observation was wrt your amp build. It’s not pure class A so doesn’t require forced cooling.

Good Luck with your build. Shaan’s designs are very nice.

Nice chassis. Look forward to your impression of V5.

With chassis feet installed the bottom and top fins will provide more than sufficient cooling, and also they look better naked. Keep the clothes away. Bests

The peeceebee doesn't run that hot since it's Class AB. I don't think you'll need forced cooling.
Yes, it will be more like an ornamental value than functional... i used it to gain more depth as the fan mounting provision was there on heat sink.

That looks stunning. Cabinet looks high quality. Waiting for your impressions on the V5 and also a rough cost breakup if possible.

MaSh
Thanks Shobit... Nishant designs and fabricates top notch cabs.
will update on progress.

The layout set, all modules in place... just need to drill a hole for power switch, populate the PSU board and start hook up wiring...

1706497610729.jpeg

1706497635865.jpeg

1706497653373.jpeg

Yes, it will be more like an ornamental value than functional... i used it to gain more depth as the fan mounting provision was there on heat sink.
But if you turn on the fan, it might add noise. And if you don't, your fan is blocking air flow over the heatsink fins.
Maybe you could drop the fan voltage and just keep it spinning at very low speed. Also, if you are keeping the fan, I'd suggest putting a spacer between the fan mounting holes, so you don't over tighten and snap off that corner. Just a suggestion.

I think the fan is unnecessary if that heatsink is there. This amp is class AB not class A so doesn't need active cooling of any sort.

Hi ,
I think the fan is unnecessary if that heatsink is there. This amp is class AB not class A so doesn't need active cooling of any sort.
if the amp is biased around 150mA then no need for active cooling, if he is biasing it around 270-300mA then v5 is a pure room heater.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back