65 inch TV for Living Room

dindadoila

Hi folks,
Long time lurker here but this is my first post! :)

I am currently in the market for a 65 inch TV for my renovated living room (still a work in progress). I currently have an archaic 47 inch LG 47LD460 LCD TV which is not wall mounted (10+ years and still going strong). However, I am in the market for a wall mounted unit that will look well with the overall decor of my room. I have attached a dummy room plan that I made using a software online for a rough idea about the lighting condition and the space that we have to play with.

My typical viewing mix and typical viewing usage:
Daily around 4 hrs SD Local News Channels (Via Jio TV/Jio Fiber), 1.5 hrs OTT (HD/FullHD/4k) wherever applicable via both onboard OTT of TV/pen drives, 30 mins casting/laptop usage/gaming (but this 30 mins can be ignored for now and gaming is not a priority at all)

My requirements:
1. I would prefer a QLED panel without any reflections (or with as less reflections as possible). Picture Quality >>> Sound Quality for me as I might invest in a sound bar later on. For my audiophile needs, I already have a HT in a different room, so sound quality is not a primary concern here.

2. My budget is around 1.2-1.3 Lakhs. I would prefer among the top 3 brands but am open to the other players in the market as well.

3. Not a fan of OLED screens particularly because of the reflections. Room will not be dimly lit in any circumstances. I have 2 OLED laptops at home and the reflective screens make them very unpleasant in any sort of sane lighting conditions. Also, with my typical usage scenario, burn in is a serious concern as well.

4. Viewing distance will be around 9 feet to 12 feet.

Due to my schedule and my location, it will be very difficult for me to go to the showrooms to see the TVs in the flesh. Doing some basic research online, I had shortlisted the following two models:

1. Samsung Frame 65 inch 2022 Model (https://www.amazon.in/Samsung-inche...09Y64NM41/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8)

Apparently, this has a VA panel while the previous models had an IPS screen and the brightness is not up to par but I really like the looks of this TV + premium brand which would mean a better ASS

2. Hisense U6G 65 inch (https://www.flipkart.com/hisense-u6...v-full-array-local-dimming/p/itme1eeb2f2e113c)

Costs almost half of the Samsung model + apparently is very good. However, less brand recall + ASS is a concern

My dilemma:
1. Not very adept about the technicalities but is Full Array dimming reqd for my use case? Will it be a deal breaker?
2. Can I cut my losses going for the Hisense model or the newer one U7H?
3. Any other models that I should be looking at?

1664266958327.png

SD will look like crap on a 65 inch 4K TV

Suggest you pick the TV with best upscale tech, I think that would be Sony.
With 4 hrs of news, OLED is best avoided.

AFAIK, Sammy has crappy after sales service.

Just back from a couple of showrooms -as I am looking for a 65" too. I was on the hunt for the x 90K- in fact missed out on the J series last year after waiting for it to drop to 1.2- /30 levels ..... on closer introspection, I cannot really see the gain from spending an extra 30 to 40 K on the SONY . Please note that I already have an x95G.
While the Frame certainly would look good,but would it cover your entire family viewing angles ?
I was surprised with the picture quality of the LG QNED 81 & the Nanocell 80sqa/ 8050/ 75 ... prices ranged (after discounts )from 80 to 1.05......am now seriously thinking of these sets. Infact one LG model also seems to have copied the art frame from Samsung.
Would anyone have any opinions on these LG sets ?

SD will look like crap on a 65 inch 4K TV

Suggest you pick the TV with best upscale tech, I think that would be Sony.
With 4 hrs of news, OLED is best avoided.

AFAIK, Sammy has crappy after sales service.

Yeah, I have seen the SD on my friend's 65 incher and I am ok to compromise with it as even on my smaller 47 incher, though it is somewhat bearable, the local news content is garbage anyways but I am addicted to it so will have to make do with what I get. :p Sammy having a crap ASS is a bummer though. They have already pinched me once with a crap handling of an AC that developed issues in the first week after purchase.

Will take a look at the Sony's just to have a bit of piece of mind regarding upscaling but any particular models that I should be looking at?

Just back from a couple of showrooms -as I am looking for a 65" too. I was on the hunt for the x 90K- in fact missed out on the J series last year after waiting for it to drop to 1.2- /30 levels ..... on closer introspection, I cannot really see the gain from spending an extra 30 to 40 K on the SONY . Please note that I already have an x95G.
While the Frame certainly would look good,but would it cover your entire family viewing angles ?
I was surprised with the picture quality of the LG QNED 81 & the Nanocell 80sqa/ 8050/ 75 ... prices ranged (after discounts )from 80 to 1.05......am now seriously thinking of these sets. Infact one LG model also seems to have copied the art frame from Samsung.
Would anyone have any opinions on these LG sets ?

Yeah, you are right. Just looked around a bit on rtings and the viewing angles on the frame are crap. Any idea on what the model name is for the LG model that you viewed with the art frame concept? Also, since you are aware of the Sony's, any particular model that you would say would recommend? Also, is there a significant boost moving to QLED from normal LED?

Btw the reason why i suggest this TV is because i have its predecessor model and it upscales sd news channel and settop box's 1080i (interlaced) signals quite well. You dont need local dimming for your usage.

Will take a look at the Sony's just to have a bit of piece of mind regarding upscaling but any particular models that I should be looking at?
Sony, check out the 90K series and above, they are FALD. The ones below are not really recommended.

Try and demo one if possible in stores like Reliance. Also check out rtings on the reviews of each particular model.

If you are leaning towards Sony TV, then there is a group buy being organized for few cities in South India

Last edited:
Will check out the X85K and X90K models next weekend. Not based out of South India unfortunately and hence, no group buy! :-(

On a side note, for a 65 inch tv unit, are there any reliable online sites besided Fk, Amazon, Pepperfry? Or is it better to get the TV units designed by the local carpenters?

Will check out the X85K and X90K models next weekend. Not based out of South India unfortunately and hence, no group buy! :-(

On a side note, for a 65 inch tv unit, are there any reliable online sites besided Fk, Amazon, Pepperfry? Or is it better to get the TV units designed by the local carpenters?
Woodenstreet.
They take forever to deliver. Service is horrible, so if the model has issues, you are in for trouble.

UByld - Uses upcycled pine wood
You can provide your own design. I have got a few stuff from them.

DIY - You can build your own unit. I made a unit for myself for the HT devices, using Aluminum T Slot profiles. Very easy to do, once you have designed it. Factory will machine cut it to precise measurements.

Here is mine...

Yeah, I have seen the SD on my friend's 65 incher and I am ok to compromise with it as even on my smaller 47 incher, though it is somewhat bearable, the local news content is garbage anyways but I am addicted to it so will have to make do with what I get. :p Sammy having a crap ASS is a bummer though. They have already pinched me once with a crap handling of an AC that developed issues in the first week after purchase.

Yeah, you are right. Just looked around a bit on rtings and the viewing angles on the frame are crap. Any idea on what the model name is for the LG model that you viewed with the art frame concept? Also, since you are aware of the Sony's, any particular model that you would say would recommend? Also, is there a significant boost moving to QLED from normal LED?
Not sure about the model LG with the picture frame - it was in the nano Cell range and a 75", it had a Gold engraved photo frame. BTW was surprised to see a SONY & LG offering 75" sets around 1.20 or even less! The picture quality was not bad at all, infact my friend is very tempted to change over to a 75.... Both Croma & Relaince had them. Like I said, I now do not find the need to spend a good 30/40K more for the Sony X90- the quality difference just does not justify that, unless, of course you can spare the money.
Am observation from this year is that, 3 big retail chains are NOT pushing the Samsungs at all.

Last edited:
Not sure about the model LG with the picture frame - it was in the nano Cell range and a 75", it had a Gold engraved photo frame. BTW was surprised to see a SONY & LG offering 75" sets around 1.20 or even less! The picture quality was not bad at all, infact my friend is very tempted to change over to a 75.... Both Croma & Relaince had them. Like I said, I now do not find the need to spend a good 30/40K more for the Sony X90- the quality difference just does not justify that, unless, of course you can spare the money.
Am observation from this year is that, 3 big retail chains are NOT pushing the Samsungs at all.
Sony 75" for 1.2L? Hard to believe. 1.5 to 1.6 lakhs yes. But 1.2? Where? which city?

Sony 75" for 1.2L? Hard to believe. 1.5 to 1.6 lakhs yes. But 1.2? Where? which city?
Pune Croma A80 I think it was ...there was an LG too at 1.19....Reliance had an LG same range. think they mentioned 7.5 off...will check as I plan to make a trip again plus to check the Sammy Neo Qled..will also ask my friend if he remembers as I was not paying too much attention at the 75....

Pune Croma A80 I think it was ...there was an LG too at 1.19....Reliance had an LG same range. think they mentioned 7.5 off...will check as I plan to make a trip again plus to check the Sammy Neo Qled..will also ask my friend if he remembers as I was not paying too much attention at the 75....

Attachments

• IMG-20220928-WA0009.jpg
    IMG-20220928-WA0009.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 27
Woodenstreet.
They take forever to deliver. Service is horrible, so if the model has issues, you are in for trouble.

UByld - Uses upcycled pine wood
You can provide your own design. I have got a few stuff from them.

DIY - You can build your own unit. I made a unit for myself for the HT devices, using Aluminum T Slot profiles. Very easy to do, once you have designed it. Factory will machine cut it to precise measurements.

Here is mine...
Thanks for the details, unfortunately DIY is not my cup of tea! :-( Wooden Street looks good though. :)

Friends, I have an offer for an sealed LG 65 OLED B1 ( Last years model) for @1.44. Do you think it is worth it ? A quick answer would be appreciated as I need to give a response by tomorrow. Thank you !

Friends, I have an offer for an sealed LG 65 OLED B1 ( Last years model) for @1.44. Do you think it is worth it ? A quick answer would be appreciated as I need to give a response by tomorrow. Thank you !
I purchased LG B2 65" Last month for 1.5L, if the difference is just 6k, I suggest you to go for B2 instead.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back