Amazon Direct shipping cheaper than Borderlinx?

gobble

I ordered a package from Amazon US and ran the estimated cost calculator. for an approx 20x14x10 inch package weighing 2.3 lbs BLX showed me

Shipping cost * INR 6449.34 USD 104.64
Tax & Duty INR 2130.94 USD 4.57
Shipt protection optional optional
Total cost to pay INR 8580.28 USD 139.21

Whereas Amazon global is charging $91 for shipping and $28 customs duty deposit.

Anyone else find BLX too costly compared to Amazon from US?

Also the actual duty should be 20% on kitchen items (its a coffee percolator). So how does the system work? Will Amazon provide a customs receipt and refund the excess deposit on delivery?

Edit: Just saw this >>
"Import Fees Deposit" represents an estimate of the Import Fees that will be levied on the items in your order for shipment to countries outside of the U.S. By placing your order, you agree to allow Amazon Export and/or Merchant (as applicable) to collect the Import Fees Deposit for the applicable items in your order. This deposit will be used, on your behalf, to reimburse the Designated Carriers for the import fees that they have paid on your behalf to the appropriate authorities of the destination country.

You further agree that the Designated Carriers may disclose to Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) the amount of actual Import Fees levied on the item you have purchased from Amazon Export and/or Merchant ("Actual Import Fees"). In the event that the Import Fees Deposit exceeds the Actual Import Fees, Amazon Export or Merchant (as applicable) will refund the difference to you.

Please post your shipping experiences here.

Thanks
-G0bble

Last edited:
Amazon if ships directly must be cheaper than Borderlinx or the likes. Its more protected too. One reason could be that Borderlinx has its own margin inbuilt over and top of courier charges (DHL) and customs whereas Amazon I suppose makes money only on the product while shipping is at actuals. They do not provide customs receipt AFAIK but they do refund excess cutoms duty and many FMs have received it in a month or so. Another problem with Borderlinx is that the calculator is not accurate (may be with a purpose) so you end up paying more, about 5 to 10%. However, when it comes to ordering more than one item together or when the original packing is unnecessarily bulky, BL has its edge. You can save more with repacking and consolidation services they offer. In my experience, BL is faster too, even with standard shipping. I got my product through BL in 4 days while Amazon took 9 days. YMMV.

Here are the few things, you can consider with Amazon :

1. Shipping is cheaper compared to BL.
2. Import Fee Deposits charged might be refunded in full (1-2 months) if you can declare the item as GIFT. I got refunded $95.29 in a couple of weeks which was charged as Import Fee Deposit for my PS3.
3. Amazon has the A-Z Guarantee so there's nothing to worry about.
4. Amazon takes 7-9 days time while BL takes 4-5 days.

Here are the few things, you can consider with Amazon :

1. Shipping is cheaper compared to BL.
2. Import Fee Deposits charged might be refunded in full (1-2 months) if you can declare the item as GIFT. I got refunded $95.29 in a couple of weeks which was charged as Import Fee Deposit for my PS3.
3. Amazon has the A-Z Guarantee so there's nothing to worry about.
4. Amazon takes 7-9 days time while BL takes 4-5 days.

I dont believe you can make an online purchase and declare it as a gift to yourself... is that what you did?

G0bble

Yes, I did that :)

But still.. you cant fool customs for a large order. They will look at the invoice and the buyer is the same person as the recipient... (I refuse to believe that only other people have all the luck)

-G0bble

I don't know if I'm lucky but I really got back $95.79 for the PS3.

This refund is for the following item(s):

Item: Sony Computer Entertainment God of War Ascension Legacy Bundle
Quantity: 1
ASIN: B00B8J0PDE
Reason for refund: Export fee reduced

Here's the breakdown of your refund for this item:

Import Fee Deposit Refund: $95.79

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back