How to connect desktop PC direct to Denon receiver

satimis

Hi all,

I have following questions. Please help.

1)
How to connect PC sound card to Denon AVR2801 receiver, without using an "analogue-to-digital converter"

Can I make use of the sound card analogue out which is for connecting PC speakers? If YES which port of Denon AVR 2801 receiver shall I connect it to the former?

2)
Can I play .mp3 .wav .mp4 digital files saved on an USB stick direct on Denon AVR2801 receiver?

I have converted all my audio CDs on computer to;
.mp3 .wav files

and Video CDs to
.mp4 .wav files

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Hi all,

1)
How to connect PC sound card to Denon AVR2801 receiver, without using an "analogue-to-digital converter"

Can I make use of the sound card analogue out which is for connecting PC speakers? If YES which port of Denon AVR 2801 receiver shall I connect it to the former?
Analogue out of PC Card to Analogue in of Denon (CD/DVD in etc)

2)
Can I play .mp3 .wav .mp4 digital files saved on an USB stick direct on Denon AVR2801 receiver?

I don't see a USB port on the Denon. You won't be able to play USB directly. You will have to go through your computer.
.mp3 .wav files

and Video CDs to
.mp4 .wav files

Thanks in advance.

Regards
I use an external USB DAC (iFi Zen) to play Tidal/Spotify on my PC to my AVR. This is a better way to play computer audio on an external amp. However, Analogue out from PC to Analogue in to AVR should meet your needs for now.

Analogue out of PC Card to Analogue in of Denon (CD/DVD in etc)

I don't see a USB port on the Denon. You won't be able to play USB directly. You will have to go through your computer.

I use an external USB DAC (iFi Zen) to play Tidal/Spotify on my PC to my AVR. This is a better way to play computer audio on an external amp. However, Analogue out from PC to Analogue in to AVR should meet your needs for now.
Hi@ssf.

Lot of thanks for your advice.

1) I'll connect Analogue out of my PC sound card to Analogue in of my Denon. But I couldn't figure out which port on the rear panel of Denon to be used?

1715919997970.png

Please help. Thanks

2) What are the techical names of the cable and plug used for connection?

3) All audio and video digital files are stored on my PC. I have no problem playing them.

4) Is there any possible solution connecting USB stick to Denon?

Thanks

Regards

Hi@ssf.

1) I'll connect Analogue out of my PC sound card to Analogue in of my Denon. But I couldn't figure out which port on the rear panel of Denon to be used?

You can use the CD player port at page 6.
View attachment 84491

Please help. Thanks

2) What are the techical names of the cable and plug used for connection?
The cables are called "Interconnect cables" . Take a look at the website below for pictures of the cables.
https://hifimart.com/product-category/cables/interconnect/

https://hifimart.com/product/dac-ara040-2rca-to-2rca-interconnect-cable/

3) All audio and video digital files are stored on my PC. I have no problem playing them.

4) Is there any possible solution connecting USB stick to Denon?
Sorry, I can't think of a way to connect a USB stick to Denon as it does not have a USB port. Maybe some converters are available ?
Thanks

Regards

What ports you have on your sound card? Many soundcards have both speaker out and analog out. It is better to connect the analog out of the sound card to the CD input of the AVR. Most consumer level sound cards have 3.5 mm output jacks. So you will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable - something like below

If you can post image of the soundcard output it will be helpful

Once you make this connection you can connect the usb stick to your computer and play the songs

If your sound card has optical/coaxial out, you can easily connect it to your AVR. Else, 3.5 mm/rca to rca is the option.

Hi all,

1)

2)

.mp3 .wav files

and Video CDs to
.mp4 .wav files

Thanks in advance.

Regards
In Simple terms you have 2 options.

1. Use a DAC with USB input from PC. Dac output to your receiver's analog input such as CD input.
2. Add a HDMI graphics card to your PC. HDMI out from PC to HDMI In on the AVR. This will give you the best quality too.

MaSh

I have done it earlier

Images are not available now though.

You can use the CD player port at page 6.

The cables are called "Interconnect cables" . Take a look at the website below for pictures of the cables.
https://hifimart.com/product-category/cables/interconnect/

https://hifimart.com/product/dac-ara040-2rca-to-2rca-interconnect-cable/

Sorry, I can't think of a way to connect a USB stick to Denon as it does not have a USB port. Maybe some converters are available ?
Hi@ssf,

Thanks for your advice.

The audio-out on the mobo of my PC is only a single port for 2 channels, a built-in sound card. Please refers to attached photo.

1716118888662.png

I must purchase a different connecting cable, 1-plug connector on one end and 2-plug connectors on another end. I have to know the technical/commercial name of this cable for shopping, instead of soldering this cable myself.

Even sorting out the connection problem of USB to Denon vrc. There is no solfware installed on my Denon avr to play .mp3/.mp4/.wav files.

The solution would be to connect video-out and audio-out of my PC to Denon avr. The video-out of my PC is HDMI and DPort. How can I connect HDMI/DPort to Denon avr? This setup is turning my PC as a video/audio disc player.

This is SOLELY an experiment for learning. In practical use I would purchase a video disc player. On Internet searching I also found that it is possible connecting Denon avr to WiFi and then via WiFi to connect PC.

Regards

What ports you have on your sound card? Many soundcards have both speaker out and analog out. It is better to connect the analog out of the sound card to the CD input of the AVR. Most consumer level sound cards have 3.5 mm output jacks. So you will need a 3.5mm to RCA cable - something like below

If you can post image of the soundcard output it will be helpful

Once you make this connection you can connect the usb stick to your computer and play the songs
Hi@mbhangui,

Thanks for your advice.

1716119435946.png

Your suggested connector would be suitable for connecting my PC to Denon avr. Thanks.

All .mp3/.mp4/.wav files converted by me on my old audio CDs and video CDs are stored in my computer. I can play them witout problem.

Regards

In Simple terms you have 2 options.

1. Use a DAC with USB input from PC. Dac output to your receiver's analog input such as CD input.
2. Add a HDMI graphics card to your PC. HDMI out from PC to HDMI In on the AVR. This will give you the best quality too.

MaSh
Hi@MaSh,

I have another setup idea - using my PC as a audio/video disc player. Please see my reply to ssh above.

Thanks

Regards

Hi@mbhangui,

Thanks for your advice.

View attachment 84515

Your suggested connector would be suitable for connecting my PC to Denon avr. Thanks.

All .mp3/.mp4/.wav files converted by me on my old audio CDs and video CDs are stored in my computer. I can play them witout problem.

Regards
The only choice you have is to connect the green port of the sound card to the CD in of the AVR. If you have a HDMI in port on your avr than you can connect the HDMI out of the PC to the AVR. Most HDMI display also comes with sound drivers and can send both audio and video on the HDMI port. This will be best option in case you have the HDMI in port on your AVR.

The only choice you have is to connect the green port of the sound card to the CD in of the AVR. If you have a HDMI in port on your avr than you can connect the HDMI out of the PC to the AVR. Most HDMI display also comes with sound drivers and can send both audio and video on the HDMI port. This will be best option in case you have the HDMI in port on your AVR.
Hi@mbhangui,

Thanks, I need to purchase the connection cable first.

I don't find HDMI-in port on my AVR. I have HDMI-out on my video card. Is there a solution?

Regards

I don't find HDMI-in port on my AVR. I have HDMI-out on my video card. Is there a solution?
If you don't have the HDMI-in, you cannot get the video from your computer to be sent to the AVR. So the only solution you have for audio is to connect the green socket on the sound card to CD in of the AVR.

If you don't have the HDMI-in, you cannot get the video from your computer to be sent to the AVR. So the only solution you have for audio is to connect the green socket on the sound card to CD in of the AVR.
Hi@mbhangui,

Now I'm searching and collecting info re how to connect my avr to Wifi network. My fibre optic network speed is 1,000 G and my computer is connected to WiFi network.

How do I connect my Denon AVR to a WiFi network?

How to connect your Denon AVR via Wi-Fi

Regards

Now I'm searching and collecting info re how to connect my avr to Wifi network. My fibre optic network speed is 1,000 G and my computer is connected to WiFi network.

How do I connect my Denon AVR to a WiFi network?
Your AVR model doesn't have any network connectivity option (lan or wifi). So you cannot connect the AVR to the network. If you want to play spotify, apple music, etc then you have to install spotify, apple music on your PC and play it to the AVR through the soundcard connected to your AVR.

Your AVR model doesn't have any network connectivity option (lan or wifi). So you cannot connect the AVR to the network. If you want to play spotify, apple music, etc then you have to install spotify, apple music on your PC and play it to the AVR through the soundcard connected to your AVR.
My target on this test is to play .mp4 files and video CDs on my PC and with the video exported to the display via my avr.

I have no pomblem playing them on my computer connected direct to display via HDMI or DPort.

My target on this test is to play .mp4 files and video CDs on my PC and with the video exported to the display via my avr.

I have no pomblem playing them on my computer connected direct to display via HDMI or DPort.
Your AVR has just composite video input and s-video input. So you can export video only with equipments having composite video out (Yellow coloured RCA jacks) or s-video out. Your computer doesn't have composite video or s-video out. So you cannot.

If for some reason you still want to go ahead then this is what you can do. Any one of the below 4 options will do

1. Get a AVR with HDMI in. You will be able to send both audio and video from your computer

2. Get a graphics card that has composite video out. This might be difficult. But many years back one got graphics card with s-video out. I have one such card. You can connect such type of graphics card to the AVR through s-video cable. But it might be difficult to get such old cards in 2024.

3. There are also adaptors that can convert HDMI to composite video. This adaptor will send both audio and video to the TV. In this case you will not require to connect your sound card to the AVR.
You will need three RCA CABLES from the below adaptor to the AVR. Cable will be like this

4. If your PC has vga out, then you get adaptors that convert VGA to composite video. In this case you will still use the computer sound card and one extra yellow cable from the adaptor or use a s-video cable from the adaptor to the AVR. You AVR supports both RCA and S-video inputs

Option 3 and 4 will be the cheapest.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I have another thought. Instead of continue spending my time on the old Denon avr, build a home theatre on PC. I have long experience building PC.

How to Build a Home Theater PC

I alread have planned building a new powerful daily working PC with;
CPU - AMD Ryzen 9 5950X (16C 32T)
Mobo - ASUS PRIME X570-P
Video card - NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] (rev a1)
Display - Dell 32" 4K display
RAM - 64G DDR5

Also I'm considering to purchase a new

Dell UltraSharp 43 4K USB-C Hub Monitor - U4323QE (42.5'')​

What I need is a powerful sound card, not the built-in sound card on the motherboard. How to connect its output to my
Energy subwoofer and Wharfedale column speakers.

Regards

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back