Kanto sub8 subwoofer review and different way of connection.

Shammi Dang

Recently I have purchased an active subwoofer (sealed type), Brand - Kanto and the Model is Kanto Sub8 with 8 inch paper cone driver, 150w rms. As this is my first subwoofer purchase the experience is very unique for me. I have used only 2 channel set up till date. My main focus was to use it with my personal sony tv where both the subwoofer and Tv speakers can work at the same time. Moreover, I also wanted to use this subwoofer occasionally with my amplifier/main stereo set up. So there is lot of exploring, knowledge from you tube videos/other sources that goes on in finding the best solution that is suitable for my usage.

Before I go into how I made the connections without proper line out, pre out, sub out, LFE and I know there will be many who will say I am totally wrong into doing this connection. But first let me just give a brief on how this subwoofer is. Well, it is different from ported sub, Bass is not extraordinary but very accurate. I use it at very low vol of max 25% so that it matches with the main speaker’s sound as usually I do not listen at high volumes. The power is more than sufficient for my room which is 11 ft * 13 ft. Size of the sub is very compact 11”(L)*11”(H)*11.9”(D) so it does not consume much space. Over all it is a decent sub for small to medium room size and not a big pinch on the pocket, more like entry level. I have purchased this from Headphone zone for around 23,000.

Connection 1 – The sony TV model that I use is X 70F (2018 model). It is a 49” 4K tv. To make it fully smart I am using a Mi box 4K(2gb ram) for various applications and Amazon music app. Upon exploring the connections of this Tv for some time I learned that it has some internal features so that any active speaker/subwoofer connected from the headphone/audio out 3.5mm jack can also produce sound along with the TV speakers. The Audio(out) signal is fixed and TV vol can be controlled with TV remote. Usually, this feature is not found on all tv models. Another latest sony tv (KD-55X 75L) that my family own does not have this feature. So I have taken and out connection from headphone out of the tv and put up an aux splitter over there as I also connect one of my wireless headphones with it’s own amp & vol control (Sennheiser RS 120 II). Now the sub works with TV speakers and the frequency on the sub can be altered to match with TV’s speaker lowest frequency range. As the information on Tv’s speaker frequency range is not available anywhere in owner’s manual the matching of the subwoofer and TV speakers has to be done purely on personal experience and choice (trial and error method). I have kept the Sub frequency at 95HZ, 20hz more assuming that the TV speaker lowest point is around 75-80hz. A new dimension on sound quality is achieved by this configuration. TV speakers are 20w total and with my usage I have never gone more then 25% of it’s vol. When I feel like using the headphones, I switch off TV vol to “zero” and switch off subwoofer and just use the headphones. I am using a very decent quality aux to rca cable from the Tv to the sub so that there is minimum signal loss.

Connection 2 – From the TV’s toslink (digital out) I have taken a connection to my external dac as the integrated amplifier that I have is old school type, pure analog. It does not have line out, pre out or sub out. It has only one “Rec out”. This Tv also has a feature by which both the tv speakers and any other external integrated amplifier/active speaker works at the same time when connection is taken from “digital out” from the Tv. The cable that I have used over here is very decent quality. Now when I have to hear music from my main amplifier along with subwoofer then I just have to keep Tv vol at zero and control the Main speakers with Amplifier vol and subwoofer with own vol. With my musical liking I have kept the subwoofer vol at 25% with frequency at 75hz as my main speaker’s lowest point is 55hz. Here also it is all personal liking and trial and error method.

I have a choice to use the subwoofer or not to use in both connection 1 and connection 2 types.

There are two components connected to my TV with the help of proper and appropriate hdmi cables. One is the Mi box 4K and other is WD live media hub. WD live media hub is a very old device but good enough for me to store the various music files, CD’s ripped in flac format, few HD movies etc.

Hope this information can be handy and useful to many who are constricted about the connection types one can do to the subwoofer. It is purely experimentation, observation and going out of set patterns to make things suitable for our own use and later share our experience so somebody else can benefit.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back