NCPA's Western Classical Season

Hello, just to round of the season! Alexei Volodin, a Russian pianist played an amazing Liszt Sonata. The power and grace packed performance went down well with the audience, and he also played Pletnev's piano version of the Sleeping Beauty ballet. I also loved the Schumann/Liszt Widmung which I found very lyrical. A youtube gives this - hope you enjoy this:

There was also on the last day Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto 3 and Stravinsky's Firebird conducted by Zane Dalal. Due to a conflict, I could not attend the Stravinsky, but my pals BPD and JLS mentioned that it was really good. Alas!

Separate from the SoI season was the Australian World Orchestra performing the following on Friday, conducted by Alexander Briger, and brought in by the Mehli Mehta Music Foundation (kudos to Ms. Jeejeebhoy, an untiring music lover). It also featured a couple of pieces by the students playing with the AWO, but the concert had the following:

Mozart: Don Giovanni Overture - very lovely, with amazing texture on winds and percussion.
Bizet: Arias from Carmen with mezzo-soprano Caroline Meng “Habanera”, “Seguidilla” & “Gypsy Song”
Saint-Saëns: Introduction and Rondo Capriccioso, Daniel Dodds, soloist - superbly played.
Beethoven: Symphony No.7 in A Major - the orchestra owned the 3rd and 4th movements in particular.

Encore was Rossini's Barber of Seville, which is always so sunny and enjoyable.

Of course, like any concert in Mumbai, there was a lot of disturbance - pinging phones, people talking in the second row (did they think the musicians would want to hear them) and a man who cracked his knuckles spectacularly - he should have been on stage!

http://www.soimumbai.com/soi_prithvi/event/187

SOI@Prithvi: Luiz Gustavo Carvalho
Monday, October 8, 2018 at 8:00PM

Prithvi Theatre, Juhu
SOI Chamber Orchestra

Evgeny Bushkov, conductor >
Luiz Gustavo Carvalho, piano >

Program:
Mozart: String Quartet No. 19 “Dissonance”, K.465 (orchestra version)
Villa-Lobos: Adagio from Bachiana Brazileira No. 2
Villa-Lobos: Choro No. 7
Shostakovich: Piano Concerto No.1

Supported by the Consulate General of Brazil in Mumbai

And so JLS and I went for this concert. Like all live concerts, it gave new insights into music which is always great.

Not only is Bushkov an amazing conductor, but a very engaging one, explaining the music to the audience. Prithvi is just the right place for this and JLS just knows the best seats there!

The Mozart was fine, though I would still prefer a quartet to a chamber orchestra, as the nuance gets blocked by some thickening of the sound.

The villa lobos pieces were fun. I know Bachiana Brasilieras, and this was played well, but Choro No.7 (first time I heard if) was just great. A bunch of seemingly disconnected Brazilian melodies and dances put together for a predominantly wind septet, with a singing melody towards the end - superb.

The Shostakovich was really good as well. The smaller size orchestra sounds right at Prithvi and that tone, wow. The piano concerto is actually one for piano and trumpet- and at the blistering cadenza in the end it was exhilarating!

Encore included girl from ipanema. Thank you JLS. I would urge more people to come, but I am not budging from my “spot”.

Went to hear the Artie’s at the NCPA yesterday with my pal TSB. There was Dvorak piano quartet which was musical (the melodic parts were played beautifully), Beethoven piano trio variations and an outstanding Shaostakovich piano quintet.

So I do like Shostakovich’s music. A lot. Much written under repressive Stalinist era, its bleakness appeals to me in what seems a dangerously poised world.

Ok that out of the way, none of the recorded music I own prepared me for the live experience. It was wonderfully played with all the shadows, the angularity (first two movements) , the throwing of “wrong” notes (scherzo), the string shriek of despair, the sadness of the lento and they lyrical (lonely) finale - what a performance!

A stroke of luck - the concert was moved from experimental to Tata theatre and my cheap seats got changed to awesome ones!

Today we had the great Yo-Yo Ma play the Bach Cello Suites at the NCPA.

The Cello Suites are, quite like Beethoven's last piano sonatas, becoming an obsession of mine. I have the versions by Casals, Fournier and Tortelier, and none prepared for a different take today - a much lighter touch, lovely on melody and played with a certain ease that comes from familiarity that it is a dance that is being played. And that as you get older, strangely you become younger. Different, beautiful. One more CD to buy!

I sat in terrible seats - all the way up and towards the end of D block - but in no way detracted from the beauty of the music. Alas, school night for my daughter tomorrow meant that I scrammed before the encore.

It was indeed a celebrity filled concert- kind of like a must go social event concert, much like a Zubin Mehta concert where a certain section of the audience starts oohing even before the music begins, but a mostly well behaved audience...except...

This concert also featured the richest variety of coughs and sneezes I have heard in any concert in a long time (NCPA Maxim: Quieter the music, louder the coughs). From a dry "yakayaka", to a phlegmy "glouff glouff" to a delicate "cuck cuck", a few petulant throat clearing...yes Classical lovers know that the Baroque period saw the timbral and tonal quality of instruments coming into play (setting the foundation for later eras), but seriously, this was some setting! So much so, during the "intermission" the great Cellist got on the mike and encouraged the audience to give one big cough together. Yikes Bombay! Haven't you heard of lozenges?!

And today we had the SOI play Beethoven’s 9th at the NCPA conducted by Martyn Brabbins with a full choir that occupied many rows and end to end sideways too.

While the pre-concert chatter included “I think Karajan 63 is the best “, “Boss what are you saying you haven’t heard Furtwangler obviously” etc, nothing surpasses a great concert with middle of the road interpretation and bringing out sweet melodies. The oft listened ode to joy - when the cellos and double basses brought it on - thrilling! Then the choir at full blast, singing away.

“Be embraced, millions
This kiss to all the world”.

The pre interval part was “Choral Fantasy” a never have gotten into it and still didn’t!

But what a concert. Super music and experience.

I liked the concert. Thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The choral section was made up of four different choirs and they totalled about 130 souls. Never seen or heard such a large choir. The scale was amazing. The four vocal soloists didn't have enough room in this composition to really show off. I wish the SOI would encore Verdi Requiem with this combo choir.

The woodwind section was amazing today, especially the lady with the oboe.

On Choral Fantasie, Andreas Hafliger showed off his usual class on the piano. How I wished it was a longer composition!

Yes, what a fantastic performance! The first 2 movements were outstanding as expected. But in the 3rd and 4th, Martyn Brabbins the conductor lifted the music to just another level... mesmerizing! Very nuanced and delicately performed even in the loud passages. A very powerful and talented string section and an outstanding baritone (Neal Davis?).
Now I need new speakers to replicate this sound at home! ;)
Thank your @vivek_r for getting me into the right frame of mind before the concert :)

Last night we had the great Leslie Howard playing in an unusual two piano concert along with Ludovico Troncanetti. I landed with my Legends CD for an autograph.

The first half which had Mozart and Rubenstein was not magic, but took off second half with Arensky and Liszt. The intermission worked. Really so good.

Here is a piece that is in the CD I got autographed- not the same version though

Hey a whole season passed by. Like that!

Lazarev doing Stravinsky’s Petrushka was amazing. Apparently a brilliant Spartacus which I missed. Underwhelming (for me) was Barry Douglas’s Mussorgsky’s Pictures at an Exhibition (big sound but missing drama, but many others seemed to have enjoyed it) and a patchy Midori concert - an awesome Debussy being standout.

There was also a piano for 4 hands with Roberto Prosseda and his wife - a very lovely concert with a pretty Mendelssohn and fantastic Ravel (Mother Goose) and Schubert Fantasia.

There was also a great concert with Marat and Prosseda playing Chausson concerto and Mendelssohn which I am biased to like! It was really nice but alas I was in the throes of Office politics and the mind wandered.

Lazarev conducting Russian music. Outstanding!

NCPA Spring Season 20 and thereafter - Been planning to post this for a while. But here goes. Sorry all concerts in one go! For JLS, sorely missed this season.

Concert 1: February 16th

An evening of second movements

Augustin Dumay, conductor
Maria João Pires, piano
Mozart: Concertone for two violins in C major, K. 190
Beethoven: Symphony No. 4 in B-flat major, Op. 60
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No 3 in C minor, Op. 37

The Spring season opened with Mozart, which was a bit underwhelming - played and conducted by Dumay with Jane Cho as the other soloist. While Dumay’s violin was well projected, one could not clearly hear the notes from G and D Strings of Cho. The strings also seemed a bit recessed while the winds popped out a bit too much. The second movement was the best amongst the three.

Then came the Beethoven 4th. Forget the odd and even symphonies arguments, I love the gentleness of the 4th - as long as it is not over-interpreted, it to me, plays itself. The music I have on CD is with Walter and Vanska and I enjoy both - as I did the straight ahead interpretation of the day. If I could ask for something more, it would be more of a chamber feel to it bringing out more textures - like how Rizzi did it with Beethoven’s 5th a few years ago in Mumbai. The second movement was a standout one. The orchestra also seemed to have warmed up a bit - the winds did over project a couple of times, and I was not a fan of having the trumpets in a separate row by itself - the sound pops out separately. Overall very enjoyable.

Post intermission the great Pires took to stage. I think Mumbai guessed something special was coming as a loud cough (I will recognise you in a line up buddy, I was next to you) greeted her first notes. The version I know best is Pollini/Abbado but Pires made everything sweeter and more tender. Like the cadenzas and arpeggios in the first movement.

And what a fantastic second movement - the beauty of this was it was made to sound like a Sonata (borrowing from the chamber music example of earlier).

By the time the third movement came the sound had settled down so much. Rich strings. Well behaved winds. And Pires making gorgeous music. Splendid!

Concert 2: February 18, Pires and Dumay
It takes time for the concert hall to warm up!

Schumann Romance
Beethoven Violin Sonata 1
(Intermission)
Schubert Violin Sonata 2
Beethoven Violin Sonata 5 (Spring).

Do halls warm up like an audio system? At the start of the concert, Dumay seemed to be in finer fettle than Pires - however, I saw the magic happening at the second movement (is that just me? can't be!) of Beethoven Violin Sonata 1 (I must say I prefer the late Mozart to early Beethoven by a stretch). Suddenly the body started responding.

And then came the second half was Schubert's A minor Sonata (should Schubert be heard only in a minor key?*). Absolutely brilliant. Starting with the "soft piano, aggressive violin opening" and ending with the Allegro where the piano and violin literally hurl at each other.

What can I say about this Beethoven's 5th sonata? Firstly, an older Beethoven is so much better with all the harmonic richness making a strong appearance. I listened mostly with my eyes closed and when I opened it, I was actually surprised to see other people and musicians on stage - I had been transported! The absolute freshness of the first movement with the wonderful interplay between the instruments, the poignant second movement, the third movement (an afterthought?), COUGH COUGH COUGH (breaking previous records) and the sweet Rondo that closed it off. The chemistry between the musicians was just spot on.

I would go again, even if they played the second half alone! If they even played the Beethoven alone!

*The answer is no. I mean just listen to this opening movement, and the recording quality does not seem to matter. Also that old school style of playing where they slide into a note - wow!

February 28th

While the world had to contend with virus and a meltdown, we were treated to a great recital by Jean Philippe Collard.

Started off with Chopin's preludes. Beautifully played with excellent dynamic shading, and great technique. If I were to nit pick, I only wish that the tempos were not so uniform through the pieces...for example, in Chopin Prelude No. 7 (1 minute plus of pure loveliness), I like to be lifted up, paused, before the final notes come. However, it was great playing, individual preferences aside.

The second half seem to play to his strengths even more. Started with Faure's Ballade, and finished with a collection from Granados Op 11 (Goyescas). The dance like stead rhythms, I feel, suited Collard's playing so much, and it was better than the versions that I have heard. Spectacular! (And who does not like Besame Mucho's inspiration!).

"Quejas, o la Maja y el Ruiseñor" Inspiration for Besame Mucho

March 1st.

Saint Saens Omphale's spinning Wheel
Saint Saens Piano Concerto 5 (Collard)
Franck Symphony in D.
Conducted by Laurent Petitgirard

This was a special concert. Texture was back with the orchestra and how!

Starting off was Omphale's spinning wheel, a piece I have not heard before. What was indeed very impressive was the conducting - very nuanced. I enjoyed the piece, though I was hoping it was Dvorak's Golden Spinning Wheel instead (now that is the kind of macabre symphonic poem that gets me going - and this one even with an "all is well that ends well").

The Saint Saens piano concerto was par excellence. So beautifully played by the orchestra and Collard - with its melodious first movement featuring runs on the keyboard, and very eastern sounding ("play piano like an Egyptian?") and filigreed second movement and the hurrah finish of the final movement - all were executed brilliantly! The strings in the second movement never did sound more silkier or precise.

The second half featured Franck. This is a piece I have never connected with emotionally - always feel wowed by the body of sound and so many instruments! This day too, was the same, but how magnificently it was played and conducted. The climaxes were all so well sorted and came together with adequate gusto and the brass section was in good form too. Overall extremely well played, and for me, enjoyable the way I enjoy Franck (like an audiophile, to be honest).

I do wish Laurent Petitgirard and Collard would come back to Bombay again.

March 11 - Not the NCPA season.
Recently I went to perhaps the last concert for a while - alas the virus has shut down concert halls. This was with Savitri Grier on the violin and Tom Poster on the piano. The concert was special although one cannot talk of it in ethereal terms. It started off with Beethoven Violin Sonata No. 3 followed by the familiar jewel Brahms Sonata 1. Though I am not so needing of a heart on sleeve approach, I wish the violinist played with a little more emotion. I felt she played very well, but more like an young person - all precision, little less emotion (the type that comes out of age). The pianist was great in that regard though the piano sounded a bit loud at times.

Post interval was Messiaen’s theme and variations which was so all over the place that I enjoyed it after the orderly romanticism of early pieces. This was followed by Faure’s Sonata 1 - played very well. The encore was the slow movement of Beethoven’s Spring Sonata and played so well.

The charm of the two young people and their chemistry made it a very enjoyable concert. They also spoke about the pieces (why is it not done in regular concerts - sometimes the stiffness of classical concerts is stifling. It is meant to entertain too), and a fitting end (temporarily) to the concert season.

We were treated to some amazing Shostakovich at the NCPA last week - the Chamber Symphony. This was 20 odd minutes of utter beauty, capturing wonderfully the composer's feelings of desolation and devastation.

The Chamber Symphony is nothing but the String Quartet No. 8 arranged for an orchestra by Rudolf Barshai (who was a violist and member of the famous Borodin Quartet, and also a conductor). It begins with the melancholic DSCH motif on the cello (that repeats through the piece), which is Shostakovich's musical signature of himself. I have put in YouTube links below of the string quartet and chamber symphony (not this performance) and hope you enjoy both.

Post interval, this was followed by a Mozart which I guess may have been well played, but I wouldn't know because I hardly got into the music post the Shostakovich! The only positive was a rousing fight which I had with three people of a family who were constantly on their mobiles through the concert (the young guy (late 20s?) said "this is a free country" - such a moron).

Time to plan Bombay trips in September - a great selection of music this season. And for the hifi lovers, it will be an amazing experience to hear an orchestra at full tilt - natural sound.

You had me at hello!

This is a note on the coming back of SOI after the drought of concerts. And what a concert it was.

We had Alpesh Chauhan, an up an coming British conductor (you can hyphenate and add Indian). Now there are those who may have dismissed him as some "Indian conductor" that SOI got (Zubin Mehta does not count, obviously), but boo to them! Obviously they didnt google.

He was indeed very good and had a sense of drama and flair (besides communication - he actually picked up the mike and spoke) which was great concert viewing.

And the sound that he got was spectacular. In Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, he had the violas to the right, cello in the middle and so for the Balcony scene violin-viola playing, it made it all the more dramatic and visually/sonically appealing. And Romeo and Juliet has all the drama right - friendship, sword fight, dance, death, love, tragedy - and the orchestra went through the key scenes. And what a powerful audio spectacle that was. Full orchestra. Even a tenor sax. Tuba. A section of french horns. Timpani, snares and Bass drum Just brilliant. Whew! Forget your hifi. You cant get it at home! For me, who has heard this many times before, hearing it live was a thrill.

The Mendelssohn Piano Concerto 1 was also played so lyrically by Benjamin Grosvenor - full of pleasant melodies with 3 movements forming a cohesive whole. After that resounding applause, Grosvenor encored with a fiery Ginastera. Go to 4.08 (that was what he played) and boy was it electrifying live!

The first classical piece in the concert was Humperdink's Hansel and Gretel Overture. Starting with a pretty horns melody and weaving its way through a well known fairytale.

I have covered the concert in reverse! It started with "Jana Gana Mana", the only piece I may nitpick with as I usually prefer a more energetic pace!

All in all, a return to magic.

You had me at hello!

This is a note on the coming back of SOI after the drought of concerts. And what a concert it was.

We had Alpesh Chauhan, an up an coming British conductor (you can hyphenate and add Indian). Now there are those who may have dismissed him as some "Indian conductor" that SOI got (Zubin Mehta does not count, obviously), but boo to them! Obviously they didnt google.

He was indeed very good and had a sense of drama and flair (besides communication - he actually picked up the mike and spoke) which was great concert viewing.

And the sound that he got was spectacular. In Prokofiev's Romeo and Juliet, he had the violas to the right, cello in the middle and so for the Balcony scene violin-viola playing, it made it all the more dramatic and visually/sonically appealing. And Romeo and Juliet has all the drama right - friendship, sword fight, dance, death, love, tragedy - and the orchestra went through the key scenes. And what a powerful audio spectacle that was. Full orchestra. Even a tenor sax. Tuba. A section of french horns. Timpani, snares and Bass drum Just brilliant. Whew! Forget your hifi. You cant get it at home! For me, who has heard this many times before, hearing it live was a thrill.

The Mendelssohn Piano Concerto 1 was also played so lyrically by Benjamin Grosvenor - full of pleasant melodies with 3 movements forming a cohesive whole. After that resounding applause, Grosvenor encored with a fiery Ginastera. Go to 4.08 (that was what he played) and boy was it electrifying live!

The first classical piece in the concert was Humperdink's Hansel and Gretel Overture. Starting with a pretty horns melody and weaving its way through a well known fairytale.

I have covered the concert in reverse! It started with "Jana Gana Mana", the only piece I may nitpick with as I usually prefer a more energetic pace!

All in all, a return to magic.
You Mumbai folks are so lucky. I had the pleasure of watching the SOI live last year at Mumbai - like you said, nothing can beat a live concert.

Will the yield curve flatten? Will 10y bonds perform better? All my tribulations that I bring home from work were put far away by an Englishman playing music composed by a Hungarian in the 1850s. Grosvenor wowed us at the NCPA yesterday with a breathtaking Liszt Sonata in B Minor.

A piece any classical music aficionado knows very well - roughly 30 minutes of unbroken piano starting with the soft ominous bass notes and the jagged motif that follows furiously (leading to many questions on what it represents - inner torment, divine and the devil?), requiring concentration from the listener (heaven knows how the player manages it).

Grosvenor imbued this piece with great drama - soft and loud, changes in speed, sudden passages of great lyricism.

There were other pieces by Liszt, Albeniz (always prefer it on the guitar) and Ravel (enjoyable), but I keep coming back to the Liszt Sonata post concert.

Quibble again - the concert got moved from the Experimental theatre to the JBT. So I lost the intimate setting (I even bought the seat which my friend BD says are the best and I wouldn’t argue against his judgment of that) and to me, there was too much hall sound and the piano moved back rather than forward as we get at Experimental.

But the music, it still rings in my head!

This time for the 25th concert and again it is tempting to go backwards on the sequence, and in the end you would know why. We had Jean-Frederic Neuberger (pianist) also conducting the orchestra with cellist Henri Demarquette and violinist Sayaka Shoji playing

The concert started with Mendelssohn’s The Hebrides - Fingal’s Cave, inspired by the Composer’s trip to the British Isles. A tone poem of sorts, it sets the mood of solitude and wild beauty, and it was wonderfully captured by the SOI.

Thereafter, we had Brahms’ double concerto. The soloists were excellent and I thought at times the orchestra was a bit louder (especially in the first movement) than I would have liked. Frankly, not a piece that I have liked, even outside the concert hall!

Then started Beethoven’s Triple Concerto, rare indeed at the NCPA. The clear tone, the sensitive accompaniment by the Orchestra and some gorgeous melodies kept the audience enthralled. Given how the three performed, I am kicking myself for not getting tickets for their chamber concert on Monday which is likely to be great (was sold out)

The last symphonic concert of the season had Richard Farnes conducting with Pavel Kalesnikov on the piano.

The opening Nabucco overture (Verdi) with its rhythms and lyricism was played beautifully. It was the Opera that brought Verdi his professional success and indeed a good masala story.

Then came Rachmaninov’s 3rd piano concerto, one that starts with such a beautiful melody that it catches you from the first note. Regarded a tough one to play, it was lovely catching it live with all the harmonies and instrumentation so standing out. Rachmaninov’s music is “cinematic” to me, often sounding like a story (anybody watched Birdman) and the Chopin waltz that followed as encore was brilliant too

Post intermission was an enjoyable Beethoven’s 7th. Though I prefer a more energetic interpretation (the Kleiber Vienna version is the one I listen to), this was a smooth listen - especially the beautiful allegretto (2nd Movement) and the timpani in the last movement (very energetic and dance like)

On an audio note, I sat in the back seats for the first half and then in the middle section in the second half thanks to a friend of Surrealistix who did not show. Strangely, I preferred the back seats which had a greater hall sound to the “better” mid seats.

And last but not the least, two live operas in Mumbai that I attended last week.

First was Die Fledermaus by Strauss. It wowed the audience with spectacular sets, some “easy music” and “timepass” (lovely word that) humour! I would have liked it more if it was shorter!!!!

The second one I went only because I landed a free pass. It was Bánk bán by Ferenc Erkel - never heard of it before but apparently a big deal in Hungary. Also composed the music of the national anthem of Hungary (from Wiki)

And it was lovely. Though no sets etc (orchestra was not in a pit), the music to me was far more satisfying. What a little jewel.

Lastly, orchestra in the pit for Strauss was great from an audio perspective. Imaging was more accentuated strangely. Even the sense of depth. Neat!

And last but not the least, two live operas in Mumbai that I attended last week.

First was Die Fledermaus by Strauss. It wowed the audience with spectacular sets, some “easy music” and “timepass” (lovely word that) humour! I would have liked it more if it was shorter!!!!

The second one I went only because I landed a free pass. It was Bánk bán by Ferenc Erkel - never heard of it before but apparently a big deal in Hungary. Also composed the music of the national anthem of Hungary (from Wiki)

And it was lovely. Though no sets etc (orchestra was not in a pit), the music to me was far more satisfying. What a little jewel.

Lastly, orchestra in the pit for Strauss was great from an audio perspective. Imaging was more accentuated strangely. Even the sense of depth. Neat!
Hi, I was at the Strauss concert, a wonderful effervescent indulgence…missed the Hungarian novelty but really encouraged to try and listen to it by your feedback. Thank you very much.

regards,
indranil

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back